Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a PT 940 and would like your thoughts and/or reviews of this pistol. I would be using it as a CCW as well as a hole puncher. The only other Taurus that I own is a PT 1911 with over 1000 rds. fired without any hiccups. Your insight would be very helpful. :-\

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only gun I regret selling. I liked everything about it - grip, controls, balance, accuracy, style. Mine was *very* easy to accurately shoot. Once I put rosewood grips on it (available from Taurus) it was beautiful.

But in a fit of 'practicality' I decided that I wanted an all-subcompact collection, and I sold it.

Now I have pangs. Heartsickness.

Seriously, it's a great gun at a pretty good price-point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought one about a month ago,never got to shoot it. I got it home for it's first "bath" and noticed, the finish coming off the trigger. I took it back to the shop I bought it at, they contacted Taurus, who told them to send it back and they would correct the problem. My gunshop then gave me two options, since they didn't have another 940 in stock, I could either put the money on another gun, or they'd send the 940 back and get it fixed, but that could take 2 months. I opted for applying the money to another gun, they had one Bersa Thunder .380 in nickel, I bought that and got about $130 back in the deal. Now I posted this on another forum and got the, typical Taurus basher feedback, "paint takes longer to dry in Brazil", "that's what you get for buying crap", "you get what you pay for" etc.......Whatever, Taurus, was willing to make things right, I just chose not to wait. And by the way I told the gunshop, since 940's, in my area are hard to find, to call me when either that one was replaced or fixed to call me. I want first crack at it, I loved the way the gun felt, very well balanced, I thought it would be a great concealed carry gun, just wish I got the chance to shoot it. Sorry for the long response, just had to get that off my chest. As for would I purchase a 940, even after that finish issue, yes, I think it was just a fluke, after 10 years of dealing with Taurus weapon's and this is the only incident, I've had, pretty good track record, if you ask me. I will, if I can, add a 940, to my collection, in the future, two thumbs up from me on that gun.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The PT940 would be a nice firearm, I have a PT908 and PT945 (factory ported) and love them. I am not a fan of the 40cal but that has nothing to do with the cartridge, just a personal preference. If you like it get it ;)

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I have the 940SSPRL. It's pictured in my icon, inside a Ted Blocker custom
crossdraw holster in left hand configuration. I use it as one of my regular
CCW pistols. I carry it during the spring & summer months.

When it cools down during the fall & winter, I carry a Glock model 27.
I enjoy that 940 pistol. Never regretted the purchase. I am sort of partial
to .40 caliber, having four pistols in that caliber, two of which are Taurus
guns.

Skipper....

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Dang..... you guys are making me want to hunt for a 957 again . Really wish Taurus would put out a new 357 sig. Do they really sell more 38 supers than they could a 357 sig??? :mad:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
A question about this series of pistols.... Does the safety work the same as in the PT 92/99 series?? I've always liked the options that design gives you!!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
TitaniumMan, I'm not sure how the safety on the 92/99 series works,
never having handled or seen that series. But, the 940 safety is on the slide,
& it's ambidextrous.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
940/945/908/909 and several other models of this design all have the same basic style of safety as the PT92/99. They work great for righty and lefty people.

·
Administrator
18,576 Posts
locknload said:
TitaniumMan, I'm not sure how the safety on the 92/99 series works,
never having handled or seen that series. But, the 940 safety is on the slide,
& it's ambidextrous.
Not True! The safety for the PT940 is mounted on the frame, just as it is for the PT92/PT100, PT908, and PT945 and all (including the PT940) operate in the same manner, in respect to manual of arms, as Draeger has said. All of them are also ambidextrous as Draeger has said.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Did I say the safety was mounted on slide? What a nimrod I am!
I stand corrected. Jwc007, you're absolutely right. I carry the thing daily;
I should know better.

Of course the safety is frame mounted. Thanks for the correction. Geez!
(Possibly a senior moment on my part!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts