Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all; what are your thoughts on pocket holsters? Hardly a chance that it'll be seen in my pocket, but how difficult is it to get to in an emergency? Thanks for everyone's help! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
Hello all; what are your thoughts on pocket holsters? Hardly a chance that it'll be seen in my pocket, but how difficult is it to get to in an emergency? Thanks for everyone's help! :)
I pocket carry my TCP 738 daily.

I can easily get to it standing, while sitting in the car or at my desk at work. I think a nice advantage is I can put my hands in my pocket and have the gun ready to go if I find my self in an uncomfortable situation. I am a big guy with big pockets, If need be I can pocket carry my PT-145.

It still takes practice to properly draw and fire, I even take a chair to the range to practice from the sitting position.

Remember; don’t put anything in your pocket with your carry gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My pockets are always full already. Keys, pocket knife, wallet, etc. Don't think I'd have room for my gun.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I am using an Uncle Mike's in pocket holster size 4 to cc the PT145 & SR9c. It worked OK for me but sometimes I wish I had and carried the 738 instead.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There have been times when that was the only way I could carry. Standing is no problem, in fact you can slip your hand in your pocket without causing much suspicion if things are starting to go south. Sitting is another matter altogether, as you can guess, retrieving your weapon is much more difficult and you're not going to do it without drawing attention. If you can slouch you can then straighten your body and get your hand in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I generally carry my PT145 IWB but when I have to wear a suit or want a BUG, I carry a Bodyguard .380 in my inside chest pocket in a Walmart pocket holster. It works great. I think it is obviously more conspicuous on drawing from a chest pocket but better than no gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have/use the DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster for my TCP, it works great, it has a nice "grippy" exterior so you can draw just fine even if your pockets are loose. I bought it off amazon after a recommendation from a friend, I think it was around $20 or so.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
...what are your thoughts on pocket holsters?...how difficult is it to get to in an emergency?...
:r_c:How fast one can draw from a pocket in an emergency depends on a few things...

1. How big is the pocket?
2. Does the holster design give quick access to the gun's grip?
3. Does the gun's grip design give quick purchase for the draw?
4. Has the owner practiced drawing from the pocket?

There's many a hot & humid Florida summer day that a pair of light and baggy cargo shorts packing an light weight revolver given one peace of mind.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
MoonDawg and I are on the same wave length on this one. I would just add:

5. How does the design of the holster implement removing the holster on the draw? I personally like the hook on the holster that strips it off on drawing.
6. How does the holster provide for firing, if Murphy's Law strikes and the holster does not come off? Nothing worse than standing there with the holster still on and you can not reach the trigger.
7. On firing with the holster still on, does the holster come off, or are you stuck with a one shot wonder?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I pocket carry my Taurus TCP. Pocket carry is far, far from ideal. It is better then leaving your firearm at home, though. IWB is much better IMHO. But pocket carry is much easier concealable, no worries about bending over your shirt coming up and you showing your firearm. Accessibility becomes an issue with pocket carry, drawing fast is difficult.

Mastering pocket carry requires a lot of practice.

As mentioned earlier, don't put anything in your carry pocket beside your firearm.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I pocket carry my Taurus TCP PT238 as well. Usually back pocket and it is totally concealed. I am sure when it get to shorts weather up here it will be in the front pocket. Just make sure that if you are going to quick draw...do not place your finger inside the trigger guard till you have the weapon on target. I am sure you wouldn't want to shoot your self. OW!

·
Super Moderator
40,644 Posts
I use the BlackHawk from Walmart, I did sacrifice a pocket holster by firing the gun while it was still in the holster. Holster did not fly off, but it did drop off to the ground. I use a #4 for a slightly looser fit so I can easily get my trigger finger inside the holster before I draw.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Pocketholsters.com makes holsters fit to a wide range of pistols and revolvers. I have one for my P3AT; fits like a glove and extremely easy to draw from a RH front jeans or shots pocket. The little bit it prints looks like a wallet.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Size 3 is a little big for my LCP, but I pocket carry it exclusively 90% of the time. I wear cargo pants, there two fore, I also pocket carry my PT111 Millennium Pro G2 in size 4. I practice drawing daily.

·
Super Moderator
35,380 Posts
I pocket carry my TCP 738 daily.

I can easily get to it standing, while sitting in the car or at my desk at work. I think a nice advantage is I can put my hands in my pocket and have the gun ready to go if I find my self in an uncomfortable situation. I am a big guy with big pockets, If need be I can pocket carry my PT-145.

It still takes practice to properly draw and fire, I even take a chair to the range to practice from the sitting position.

Remember; don’t put anything in your pocket with your carry gun.
Yup. I agree. I have a dedicated strong side pocket for my Kel Tec P11 9x19 in a Blackhawk number 4, very accurate 10+1 carrying +P. I feel like it's a service gun in my pocket. D Sometimes I'll carry it in my belt when in the car, a little faster to get at. And, I pick my pants, very much like Wrangler cargos as they have BIG pockets and cargo pockets for my wallet. I carry my keys on a carabiner in a belt loop. Phone on the belt, knife and flashlight on the belt. My belt is kinda busy at times. :D Still have room for OWB and a speed loader case if I carry my .357, though.

Really, though, 9x19 in a pocket holster is about as good as CCW gets for ME. It's all day comfy and always there.....ALWAYS. I take off the belt gun when I get home.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 17 of 17 Posts