Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Thoughts on my long gun choices.

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Foxbat 
#1 ·
I've decided, for the near term, to concentrate on satisfying my long gun urges. I'm looking to add a 22LR and a 30-30 to my cache. For the 22LR I'm leaning towards the new Marlin XT-22 they came out with last year. Gets good reviews and I like the 22" barrel. Why a 22LR? Mainly because I just want one (plinking and small game). It felt good in my hands at the LGS (approx. $200). For my other rifle I'm looking at the Marlin Model 336 (approx $370 - $400). The Winchester Model 94 is a bit pricey for me right now (approx. $600+). Also looked at a Rossi Rio Grande (approx. $400). It felt OK but I'm not familiar with their long guns. I had a Winchester 30-30 back in the seventies that I absolutely loved but sacrificed it due to marital problems. Hunting in North Georgia, for the most part, won't require many long-distance shots due to the hilly, tree-covered terrain. Besides, if I find out I need more distance, I can address that issue at a later date. Your thoughts?

#6 ·
Yes I agree, the Marlin is a great choice. You can mount the scope low and centered over the rifle rather than use the offset mounts that you have to use on the Winchester.

Font Logo Emblem Brand Trademark

#4 ·
For a .22 rifle, check out the Henry lever actions. The action is very smooth and the rifle is very accurate.
+1 on the Marlins.

Reactions: Catskinner
#5 ·
The Ruger 10/22 is the best selling rifle of all time. You can buy ANY part of the 10/22 in upgraded aftermarket form and sink a ZILLION dollars into your plinker. NO OTHER rimfire rifle has as much aftermarket support or as large a following. A stock, out of the box 10/22 is only fair as far as accuracy goes but is a platform you can build on if that is your desire. I have a Remington 597 with an aftermarket Archangel kit installed. The Archangel is essentially an AR-15 style set of furniture. It also allows the barrel to float an this makes the 597 VERY accurate. You can buy 30 rd. magazines for the semi-auto 597. I prefer a semi-auto to a bolt action. I didn't care as much to be able to remake my rifle and wanted better initial accuracy as compared to the 10/22. Lots of great choices out there.

#10 ·
the ruger 10/22 is the best selling rifle of all time. You can buy any part of the 10/22 in upgraded aftermarket form and sink a zillion dollars into your plinker. No other rimfire rifle has as much aftermarket support or as large a following. A stock, out of the box 10/22 is only fair as far as accuracy goes but is a platform you can build on if that is your desire. I have a remington 597 with an aftermarket archangel kit installed. The archangel is essentially an ar-15 style set of furniture. It also allows the barrel to float an this makes the 597 very accurate. You can buy 30 rd. Magazines for the semi-auto 597. I prefer a semi-auto to a bolt action. I didn't care as much to be able to remake my rifle and wanted better initial accuracy as compared to the 10/22. Lots of great choices out there.
this ^^^^^^^

#7 ·
Marlin is a terrific choice for a 30-30. Personally I like shooting a lever gun with iron sights, they seem to work pretty well for me.

#8 ·
Go with the Marlin 30-30 if you're going to need a scope. However I am partial to my Winchester 94 with open sights.

#9 ·
If you plan on hopping up the 22 a Ruger 10/22 is the way to go, otherwise I have only heard good things about the XT22. As for the 30-30, Marlin make a excellent rifle and it is scope ready but if you want a Winchester 94 you won't have to spend $600. Mine was manufactured in 1973, it is a little rough on the outside but bore is great and it will put 3 shots in a dime at 100yards. I picked it up last spring with a 4X scope for $275 out the door.

#11 ·
It is hard to give a definite recommendation on 22s. I have a 10/22, Savage 64, 93 and MKII, Marlin 60, Ithica 49 and I love them all. They are all great shooters and all are very accurate. I do like the availability of parts for the 10/22 as I will soon be doing some modding to it. As far as the lever action, they are not for me but at one time I had a Winchester 94 and it was a very good gun, just like bolt guns better. Good luck!

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies and input. I did hold the 10/22, and it's supposed to be the best selling 22LR. I don't plan on spending a bunch of extra cash on a 22LR to mod it up. And I wasn't fond of the shorter barrel. I'd give just about anything to have my Winchester 30-30 from 32 years ago back but that's not going to happen. The Marlin felt good and the price is within my budget. Any opinions on the Rossi Rio Grande? Never shot one before.

#13 ·
I do not post much, but your thread caught my attention. The Ruger 10/22 may be the best selling 22lr; however, the quality and materials of the newer 10/22s are terrible. Compare an older anodized receiver model with a metal trigger guard to a new model with painted receiver and plastic trigger guard and you would be disgusted with the latter. As you may know, the 10/22 is good for plinking and throwing lead - not accurate unless you pump money into it. The trigger pull is also horrendous. I bought one in 1983 and my first 22lr. I pumped $200 (trigger and chamber work) into it to make it shoot more accurately. Was it worth it - to me yes.

If I were you - go with your original thought and get the Marlin or invest in a Savage model with the accu-trigger. Nephew and father in law have the Savage ($160 dollar version) and it is crazy accurate out of the box. CZ rifles are also very accurate, but may not be in your budget. Go to rimfirecentral and do some research. As far as Marlin vs. Winchester - I have no personal experience, but my research has folks mentioning the Marlin is the better choice. Rossi - no help. Good luck and have fun.

#14 ·
You can not beat the Henry rifles for right out of the box dead on accuracy. Not to mention the extremely smooooooth lever action you get. I've never read any statistics, but I can't believe for one moment that the Henry rifles are not on the top of the list. Load it with shorts or longs and as their motto states, "load it on Sunday, shoot all week". I've tried others and will always go back to the Henry for quality and accuracy.

#15 ·
I have 2 22 rifles, Savage model 64 with scope. Bought like that from Dicks sporting goods on sale for $180. Love it to pieces. Accurate easy to clean...
I also have a Henry Golden Boy with iron sights. AS MK said accurate right out of the box, smooth, no problems, takes 3 kinds of 22 ammo.
At the time I bought my Savage 2 friends bought Remingtons in the same sale, same model cannot remember the model. Both fell apart very quickly. Both have since been sold.
Henry has over 5000 rds through it Savage nearly 8000. I use both for training the kids. I have 300 kids!
The Henry is just a fun weapon. With the iron sights it is very useful for teaching sight picture etc.

Reactions: MissKitty
#16 · (Edited)
The boys over at the Marlin owners forum are down on the quality of the firearms being produced since Remington took over Marlin.

Marlins made by Remington will have REM stamped on the barrel. You might want to find a 336 made by Marlin before they sold out.

The Hornady Leverevolution ammo makes the 30-30 a 250 yard deer rifle ,nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: stallard
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.