Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd see if anyone has some opinions on the 9mm MilPro. I'm considering this for my next purchase. Looking for a compact 9mm to serve several purposes. These are the main ones:

1) smaller/lighter design for concealing, esp during these hot Alabama summers (My PT1911 can get a bit heavy)
2) Cheaper to shoot than my .45
3) higher capacity than my 8-round 1911

It seems many are big fans of the PT145, and I am as well my friend owned one and I got to shoot it. I really enjoyed it. I had considered staying with the same caliber so I only need one kind of ammo, but I like diversity and the 9mm is significantly cheaper to shoot which is very appealing to me. You guys have any advice to offer up?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The 9mm is cheaper to shoot in the Wal-Mart white box, but you need to do price comparisons on the JHP's which run significantly higher... this are the rounds you will want to carry in a 9mm.

I have found that the most economical avenue for shooting is reloading... and with that having to buy as few calibers as possible is an asset.

I certainly can't fault the 9mm MilPro. However, the .45 is basically the same gun in a larger caliber.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've recently been doing alot of research on getting into reloading my own rounds. I want to get there eventually but right now I really don't have any place to setup a reloading bench. Me and some friends are considering going in together to get a reloading setup. We each have different calibers including 9mm, .40, and .45. So if we ever did I'd have the die for 9mm anyway.

I was mainly considering the cost difference of practice rounds not the JHPs, which I would certainly use for carry situations. I appreciate the advice. If I do intend on reloading at some point, might be worth sticking with the same caliber. I am a big fan of the .45 caliber, I wouldn't mind sticking with it. Just like to be able to shoot and practice more with the cheaper 9mm rounds.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The 9mm is a good round, and I certainly think that you can practice more for less money than you can with the .45. I would not hesitate to buy the PT111. I hear they are good guns. I know I certainly love my PT145.

WWB rounds from Wally World will work great for practice and they are significantly cheaper than comparable .45 rounds.

The PT111 would certainly meet all of the criteria you listed above. let us know if you decide to get one and if so, how it shoots.

Todd

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't forget also if you reload a self defense round and you ever have to shoot someone with it, you will be scrutinized BIGTIME for using 'special anti-person killing hot round'. Lawyers love to describe reloads that way..

For carry ammo, I'd stick with some proven good Selfdefense rounds that is 'standardized' like Federal Hydrashocks, or Speer gold dots, or Winchester SXT's.. Also, 9mm vs .45acp self defense rounds are about the same cost.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds as if phantom45 is pretty well tuned in on the risk of carrying handloads for SD. If you are near an Academy Sports, you can get Monarch (E European steel-case 9mm) for $5.86/box of 50> I shoot it in all my 9mm's without trouble.

·
32,481 Posts
Howdy folks.
As for the PT111 Mil/pro goes, it is dureable, fits properly for me anyway, and accuracy for a small pistol is good as it will keep up with it's bigger brethren in that department.
It has shot any practica ammo and SD ammo I have chosen to run through it. SilverBear Russian ammo, WWB, Remington, UMC, CCI Blazer, as well as Federal ammo have all been through my pistol without a burp or hiccup. All of these were in the 115 grain hardball or JHP varieties.
+Ps can be said to be invigorating as far as recoil goes, but not bad. This being subjective and an opinion.
I use and shoot standard pressure loads for defense anyway for a number of reasons. Practice is prohibitively expensive. Shot to shot recovery takes more time than with the +Ps. There are over pressure +P rounds that can batter the gun incessantly. And standard pressure loads in 115 and 124 grain self defense loads lose little in velocity to make +Ps more than necessary. With that said I do keep +P Remington and Federal rounds on hand, but have never had a need for their use. Black Hills loads some of their rounds to the 1325 feet per second level and are too high pressured to use in the PT111 Mil/pro.
Since the real world track record of standard pressure loads is excellent.despite "conventional wisdom", I see no reason to go to the +P stuff. Others may feel different, but it has worked for yours truly.
The sights on my gun are the older 3 dot variety. The newer Heinie sights that come on the newer guns have to be tried out on a case by case basis. Some like them and others decry them. For you they might work well. Otherwise just use a standard sight picture and ignore the dots. Replacement of sights is also possible if you so choose for not a lot of money.
So there you have my take on this. Others should be along soon to chime in.
Reloads for defense are truly a bad idea. It opens a legal can of worms that an opposing lawyers of prosecuters will use against you. Then there is the recreation of court of the exact ammo that will be needed in testing for court evidence. Batches of like commerecial ammo can be obtained by the defense and with a similar or same gun, can have test done that show the ballistic evidence for you is real and viable. With home brewed stuff, it cannot be replicated in that same form, or way, and allowed in as evidence. Even if the recipe is the same. That is the way it works.Commercial ammo is made the same way and with the same batch consistency can be shown. Since questions can be raised about the how,when, or no way to know if each box of handloaded ammo is the same ( even if documented human fallibility will be introduced as you could have made mistakes), then the prosecution can and will hang the accussed out to dry.

·
Registered
297 Posts
shep854 said:
Sounds as if phantom45 is pretty well tuned in on the risk of carrying handloads for SD. If you are near an Academy Sports, you can get Monarch (E European steel-case 9mm) for $5.86/box of 50> I shoot it in all my 9mm's without trouble.
Note: I carry 124gr HydraSkoks for my defense load. The cheap stuff is practice/plinking only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Have no fear guys I wouldn't shoot reloads for SD, just looking into that for savings for practice and plinking. Right now in my PT1911 I'm also using Hydrashoks for my SD rounds. And until I can manage to get my own reload bench setup, which could take a while, I'm considering the cost of buying ammo off the shelf, and in that respect I know I could shoot alot more 9mm for the dollar. Quality SD rounds are indeed similar in cost for .45 and 9mm, but for a few more dollars I can get 2x as many 9mm as my .45 from Walmart for example. Think it's around $15/100 for 9mm, my .45 is generally $11-13/50 or so depending on what I get.

If I can get a reload setup going before I'm ready to make my next gun purchase I might just go for the PT145 instead of the 9mm. Still debating between going with a compact 9mm or a 38/.357 revolver for my next gun. But fairly sure that will be my next gun purchases anyway haha, just not sure which will be first.

·
32,481 Posts
There is one thing to consider. If you have a .45ACP pistol already then why not go with the PT145 as well?

You can get set up for reloading and then load one caliber only.While the 9mm. is cheaper for the most part your already in the 45 territory. Some 9mm. ammo bought in bulk may be cheaper than if you went out and got the reloading equipment and components. You can go either way.
Just realize that tolerances for semi-auto ammo are tighter than for revolvers and a crimp is probably good for all the ammo going into such said gun. Specs for reloaded ammo have to be more precise and able to fit through your pistol for proper function. Case by case basis. Tolerances for your pistol may be different than other similar pistols.
The good news is there are guides and info on all this in the reloading books.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings,

I am looking for the Millenium Pro 145BP on the web and I can't find it nowehere.
By clicking on the buy now button on www.taurususa.com, it directs to gunlocator and it says item not available. rrarm does not have it iether (out of stock) and all my other favorite sites don't.

Anyone knows of a site where I can order one? I would even be ready to buy the 145SSP if someone points one on me?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
kestak said:
Greetings,

I am looking for the Millenium Pro 145BP on the web and I can't find it nowehere.
By clicking on the buy now button on www.taurususa.com, it directs to gunlocator and it says item not available. rrarm does not have it iether (out of stock) and all my other favorite sites don't.

Anyone knows of a site where I can order one? I would even be ready to buy the 145SSP if someone points one on me?

Thank you
The 145's in the blued frame are popular and any gun dealer with reasonable connections should be able to locate one for you. I've found that comparing dealer's prices are crucial... those who do a lot of business will price most Taurus's about $100 below MSRP. Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, like Kestak I am looking for a Millenium Pro-9mm blue for me-but everyone seems to be out. Called Taurus Customer Service and they told me that the distributors should have it, however, the dealers (3 different ones in Houston) tell me that they don't have it, that their distributors are out, and nobody knows when they will get them!

Anyway, just venting. I figure I need to continue to wait.

·
32,481 Posts
Local gun stores should be able to get PT111s or PT145s. The local stores here can get either in a couple of days. I would have figured customer service would have made notes about unavailibility and then contact suppliers to work out or find out about any pipeline problems. Maybe customer service isn't saying that they are working on the problem.

Had problems finding Bersa and they did look into it. Even got a call from upper management.

One may have to ask to talk to sales or the expediters to get things moving. Customer Service can get one to the right staff to solve this problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts