Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at the range today testing out some loads in, amongst other things, my 450.

After some rounds down range everything was going good, when I could barely close the cylinder. I forgot my compressed air, so I tried to wipe her down, look for obvious issues, but could not fix it. I managed to fire 2 more rounds but I had to stop. Cylinder spun freely, hammer went back smooth with cylinder open if you pushed in that little do-hickey. But just would not close without force or spin if I could force if closed.

I thought I might have to call Taurus after opening her up at home, but decided to swab a Q-tip around under the extractor star and rod. Wouldn't you know, 1 freeking stinking piece of unburnt Unique powder, a disk shaped wedge as it turned out, came off on the swab. Tried it again, problem gone. I even put it back under the star, and the problem was replicated. That was it!

I did have a couple issues with the Winchester primers and light strikes but I had just installed 1 step down on the Wolff spring, so now I have to put back the original and see. Think I might need a longer firing pin??? Do they have those?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just thought I would add that I trimmed up the hammer face to FULLY push the transfer bar all the way forward against the frame. Tried her out yesterday and no FTF. Looks like that cleared her up. The Firing Pin spring clip job was listed as a possible fix, but it seemed that it's too short to cut of 1-2 loops, but the FP went all the way forward, so that fix did not seem appropriate.

The Hammer face was a slow process till it was Just Right, but patience paid off.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
All powders burn better the higher up on the loading level you can go with them. Unique has had the bad rep of being "flammable dirt" since before I was born so I'm not sure how it has stayed so popular over the years. I use Win 231 and while making some powder puff loads I went too low and started getting unburned powder. That caused the exact same issue you had in my S&W 625-3. This is also another reason to not have oil dripping everywhere from your gun as the unburned bits like to stick to the oil. But as soon as I ramped up to 5.5gr and a little higher then the Win 231 went back to burning clean again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was using 8.4-8.6 gr. Unique with the 250 gr. XTP and 7.8 - 8.5 gr. Unique with the MBCo. 250 gr. Hard cast Pinbuster.

Also 9.0 gr. Unique with the 200 gr. Berry's RNFP. I thought these were not baby loads, at least not for the 450. I realize they are not Ruger Only loads though. I could be wrong, I don't have a Chrono.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts