Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when you're cruising along, getting by every day, coping with all the pandemic chaos, something comes along to take the shine right off things..!! On Saturday I noticed a swelling just behind the right shoulder on our black Lab. It was quite large and about the size of an open hand and quite solid. It wasn't weeping, no broken skin so I knew he'd not caught his shoulder on anything. So I kept an eye on it for the rest of Saturday and Sunday.

I called the veterinarian this morning and made an appointment. He doesn't enjoy going to the vet' any time so I was curious today that he made no fuss. She gave him the once over and then started in on this 'lump'. Well, to cut a long story short, it's a cancer and quite advanced. Whilst surgery is an option there is no guarantee it will solve the problem, in her opinion it could make things worse - he's 12 years old, blind in one eye, had hearing problems and is slowing down a lot.
The cost of surgery wouldn't bankrupt me but it would cost over $1500 for the operation, plus ongoing medication for an unknown length of time. So we had to decide. Let him go on as he is or have him put to sleep.

It's never an easy choice. All those years passed, the places visited, the game shoots we've been on - always ready to 'work'. But his quality of life is compromised right now and will only get worse, and I don't want to see him suffer.

He will leave us on Friday afternoon a little after 3pm. I will be in tears, but I will be there with him. I really, really don't want to see him go but I don't want to see him suffer. When it comes to my dogs I'm just a big softie and I make no apologies for that. I'm posting this now in the vain hope it will steel me for Friday. And I am NOT going to get another dog.

Like I said in the title, this week is not going to be easy...

DOG.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
So sorry to hear about your buddy, it's so hard to make that decision.

We have a 13 year old hound dog with diabetes and is blind in both eyes. He still is happy but has been having more bad days than good!

Praying for you!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I think I can say without reservation, our hearts go out to you. Most of us have been through this, it is a shame our loyal and contant companions don't have longer lifespans. I have an 11 year old Brittany that has developed hip displasia and will be making the same decision within the year.

Yes it will be a tough week, and last much longer than that. God Bless

Reactions: kerk and jonrjen

·
8,350 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Lab. I had to put down my little Snoodle last year, he was already completely blind and deaf. Then the face and throat cancer began. I did it myself and it was hard and that memory comes back to haunt me. It took about 4 months but finally found another rescue puppy and adopted her. Puppy is kinda a misnomer, She was 4 months old and weighed almost 100lbs. It takes time to handle the loss. Take care Tom.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh my GOD , do I ever feel the pain and anguish you and your family are going through. The hardest thing I have ever gone through is sending my two previous Aussies over the rainbow bridge. I'm crying just posting this. Nothing has been harder and caused more sadness for me in my life than losing such fantastic creatures. So sad, so very sad. My prayers are with you.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
​Prayers Sent!!!!!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That is a tough week. Sorry to hear about your dog. Remember the good times. Forget the bad times. Stay with your doggie a while after the shots are administered. They can hear you until their brain shuts down. Praying for you and your family and your buddy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,506 Posts
I have had two occasions in which I have had to do the same thing and it wasn't easy. Both of my dogs were my best buddies and it broke my heart to have to do it. My thoughts are with you and your dog. There is a dog heaven,I am sure and he will be there.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
My sincere condolences Tom. I went through the same thing about 4 years ago with my very best friend Blaze (Australian Shepherd).

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him.

Screen is getting blurry ...

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
May you be supported in the loving prayers of your friends - we have been to that same door (too) many times.

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long --
So why in -- Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My mom says not to have too many dogs. They leave us to early. But they are all waiting for us in heaven and will mob us when too we arrive.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
I don't know how I missed this post but losing a pet is never easy. We had to put one down the other week. It is hard to do but you really don't want them to suffer !

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well where do I begin..!! The dog we thought we were going to loose is still with us. And fighting fit..!!

After some discussion my wife and I went back to the vets and, as it happened, another vet was there and had another look at the dog. He poked and prodded, took a couple of swabs, went away for ten minutes and, on returning - with a beaming smile on his face - said the dog had a deep seated abscess which needed nothing more than lancing and cleaning out followed by some anti-biotics. And he didn't charge us.

We asked him about the first vet's diagnosis and he couldn't give us an answer, other that saying we'd need to speak to her.

Anyway the old bugger is still with us, still drooling over cheese, toast and coffee..!! And he's lying under my desk farting like mad. Life goes on.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Well where do I begin..!! The dog we thought we were going to loose is still with us. And fighting fit..!!

After some discussion my wife and I went back to the vets and, as it happened, another vet was there and had another look at the dog. He poked and prodded, took a couple of swabs, went away for ten minutes and, on returning - with a beaming smile on his face - said the dog had a deep seated abscess which needed nothing more than lancing and cleaning out followed by some anti-biotics. And he didn't charge us.

We asked him about the first vet's diagnosis and he couldn't give us an answer, other that saying we'd need to speak to her.

Anyway the old bugger is still with us, still drooling over cheese, toast and coffee..!! And he's lying under my desk farting like mad. Life goes on.
Gooood doggie.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts
Every time I start missing the pooches we have lost I read this bit of prose.
It still, after all the pooches we have lost and all the years that have passed, makes me sad.
It also brings me comfort.
Wherever I go when I die there had better be dogs when I get there.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: kerk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

I love happy endings.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS
1 - 20 of 24 Posts