1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking out my 689 today, stopped at my LGS yesterday to
show them my handy work after spending hours tearing it apart and going
through it. On the counter something caught my eye, they had just brought it
up from storage. It's a Volunteer Arms Mark3 45acp, uses grease gun mags, holds 30
rounds. I am always interested in project guns, so they said I could do some paperwork and
take it out to shoot! Am excited, should be a good day!..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
One trip to the range = one month at the reloading bench....

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
very nice

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
LG -have a great time at the range today! We'll be waiting on the report at the end of the day!��

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I bet you will have a great time at the range indeed!!:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I am taking out my 689 today, stopped at my LGS yesterday to
show them my handy work after spending hours tearing it apart and going
through it. On the counter something caught my eye, they had just brought it
up from storage. It's a Volunteer Arms Mark3 45acp, uses grease gun mags, holds 30
rounds. I am always interested in project guns, so they said I could do some paperwork and
take it out to shoot! Am excited, should be a good day!..........
I hope that is the closed bolt operating system because the open bolt version is a machine gun even if is a semi-automatic by atf edict. many people don't know that because it was done so many decades ago.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Look fun, take some videos.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Have a lot of fun.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got home late, will give details tomorrow.........:)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggg!!!!!!!

·
22,034 Posts
Details! Want details!

Also pie. Strawberry rhubarb please, with ice cream.

Reactions: william and Sekol

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Sweetttttttttt..

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alrighty then, let's see, oh I remember, I took the 689 357 mag out
and my PT145, almost forgot I also took the Volunteer Arms Mark III out
to the outdoor range. First off, the 689 is a beautiful gun, and shoots as good as it looks!
Ran 50 rounds of full loads through it, and it makes me look like I can shot! After tearing it down
and doing some fluff and buff, it is now my bedside gun!
Now my PT145, haven't shot it in awhile, but it is always clean and ready. Took a box of
Fioochi 230grn fmj with me. Upon opening the box all rounds had brass colored primers except 6
of the rounds, these were silver in color.... Loaded a mag and began firing at target, and dammit, 5 in
and no bang? Pulled trigger again and nothing! Long story short I should have suspected bad rounds, but
when I got home I tore the whole gun apart to double check and clean, found some brass in the firing pin channel
and cleaned it out, and it's back to launching a pencil out of the barrel about 6 inches high! Still a very accurate gun
and will always be my favorite!!
Now we get to the Tommy gun........
Put 10 rounds of Black Hills Ammo in the mag(holds 30 rounds) and tentatively pulled the trigger,
and it WORKED!!!!!! Hadn't cleaned it before I went shooting, so really wasn't expecting much.
Then loaded the mag full, and the years of crap in the gun reared it's ugly head, first 8 rounds wouldn't feed,
and the rounds were slammed into the feed ramp so hard that it set the bullets back in the cases so far, I wasn't gonna try
shooting them a second time! After the 8 rounds, it ran very well, and I might add is pretty accurate! No recoil at all, and
causes people to walk over and ask" What the hell is that?" and then asking if they can shoot it!
I will end this on a high note, got it home and tore it apart, and WOW, it was disgusting in this thing! Took 3 1/2 hours to clean
it, and went through the WHOLE gun, the feed ramp had a bad ridge in it, so out came the rat tail file to knock that off
and then 1000 grit paper and Flitz. At that point I decided that i would respray the receiver flat black and put some clear coat
on it( it was sprayed like that from the factory) and then sanded down the stock and fore grip and stained it in a Cherry color!
The mag was real bad, but it now seams to feed smoothly after cleaning.
Yes folks, this is a keeper, and I will be taking it back out soon to see if I can get through the whole mag without incident.......:)

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final thought, the Volunteer Arms is a great gun!
Did the teardown the other day and Fluffed and buffed and took it out today
with my BIL and my friend, all shot it and we came to the conclusion that
it is very accurate, only had 1 ftf and I think that was caused by not holding the
rifle tight. Very fun gun, gets allot of attention and can deliver a hell of a wall of lead........
I like it!!!!!!;)

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Sounds like a couple of great range sessions there, LV! Keep it up- we all love to hear about going to the range - cause back east here, we're sitting at single digits and below zero - no outdoor range shooting for us!:D

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear that Sekol, we had a high of 48 today, tomorrow
is supposed to be cold with snow..........:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts