Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my favorite LGS this morning to meet my son and my granddaughter. Whilst perusing the shotgun and rifle racks to see what was new since our last visit, we came across a Savage 220 12 gauge with 36 inch (!) single break-action barrel. Sale price is $150.

There is a "K" stamped on the bottom of the barrel, showing it was produced around 1958. "MA" and a squarish symbol marking of some kind is also stamped on the bottom of the barrel. There is no serial number anywhere on the gun.

"US" is stamped on the left side. Above this stamp is what might be an armory marking that looks similar to an upside down "Q".

Disassembly shows that it has not been cleaned in a long time. The stiffness of the top lever to open the action illustrated this clearly. In spite of needing a good cleaning, the overall condition of this shotgun is good, with no sign of corrosion or rust to be found anywhere.

I am NOT looking to buy this old shotgun at this point. I'm just curious about it, as are the guys at the gun store. Internet information on this early example of a Savage 220 with this long barrel is somewhat sparse. Does anyone have any information tucked away in your memory about it?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
See? I got your mind on the single break barrels now. ;) "MA" I take it is Massachusetts? The interesting thing is that Savage makes a Savage 220 bolt action slug shotgun.. but not this break barrel anymore.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I've had single-shot break-action shotguns on my mind for a while. I'm just seeking information on this one in this thread, but my serious interest lies in the Midland Backpack shotguns.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Honestly, I've had single-shot break-action shotguns on my mind for a while. I'm just seeking information on this one in this thread, but my serious interest lies in the Midland Backpack shotguns.
You need to buy as soon as possible.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
36 inch barrel?!!?

Betcha it has a full choke. Sounds like an economy waterfowl piece to me if your date of manufacturing is correct. What's the chamber length?

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to mention, the chamber is designed for 2 3/4 inch shells, standard for its year of manufacture.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I’d buy that one in a heartbeat. Loves me a break open single shot.

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
Yeah, the 36" "long tom" barrel spells waterfowl to me. It was no more effective than a 20" barrel, though the swing was probably smoother. It was thought the 36" barrel gave more range and, maybe it did in the black powder era, but with modern powders (shotgun powders are fast) 36" does little else than give it more forward weight bias.

I had a buddy when I was a kid that had a 36" bolt action "Marlin Goose Gun" and a friend about 25 years ago picked up a Marlin Super Goose in 10 gauge with a 34" barrel. To me, they were just curiosities. I hunt geese with a 10 gauge H&R that has a 24" barrel called the "turkey gun". They made one with a 32" barrel called the "waterfowler", but I passed. :D At 9 lbs, the gun swings smooth enough. :D

Reactions: jwc007 and jtg452

·
Super Moderator
35,365 Posts
Oh, yeah, it likely has a full choke which is worthless for steel shot. Likely not rated for steel, anyway. It might make a pretty decent turkey gun, though.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Oh, yeah, it likely has a full choke which is worthless for steel shot. Likely not rated for steel, anyway. It might make a pretty decent turkey gun, though.
You'd have to hunt a load it likes. That old, the forcing cone is gonna be short for plastic wads.

Old school fiber wads, on the other hand, should work great with it.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
.............................It might make a pretty decent turkey gun, though.
Oh...:mellow:...no doubt a good gun for turkey but until we know exactly how they feel about humans...:unsure:...we prob'ly shouldn't be arming 'em.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh...:mellow:...no doubt a good gun for turkey but until we know exactly how they feel about humans...:unsure:...we prob'ly shouldn't be arming 'em.
(soto voce) I wondered when he was gonna show up an' what he was gonna say.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why it has US government markings stamped on it?

Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why it has US government markings stamped on it?
Didn't they teach aerial gunners to lead targets using trap or skeet during WW2?

But your date is post War. Maybe a hold over of that program.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,244 Posts
Reactions: Stroker and kschilk

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
19,325 Posts

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
I have a Stevens (Savage) 20 ga, double-barrel (26"). It has a B date mark but also what appears to be a serial number. From what I've gathered, it's a pre-serial number issue though. It was handed down from my grandfather so I assume it was originally bought at the former Sears store here in town, same with my JC Higgins single and double barrel .410s.

Reactions: Stroker
1 - 20 of 20 Posts