Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night while what I thought was a pretty good nights sleep, I was dreaming, About what I don't remember. However at one point in the dream I do recall being asked to leave Costco because I was not wearing a damn mask.

Yes, I do shop at Costco. And yes I do always wear a mask, heck it is now a Costco policy and ordered to wear mask in public in Dallas county. I will comply no questions asked.

But, these mask orders begin to interfere with my nights sleep which at my age is getting dangerously close to crossing the line to creating a cranky old fart in the morning. FYI, my wife don't like cranky old fart mornings.

That is all, I have said my peace...for now anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Maybe you should wear a mask in bed and that would solve your dreaming problems.

Our Governor, Comrade Kelly and our mayor, Comrade Whipple, both ordered masks be worn in public. I was doing quite a bit of research about the effectiveness of masks, and the CDC seems to have determined (before this crisis, of course) that masks were not effective in preventing the spread of viruses. It is all an exercise in stupidity as far as I am concerned, but I'll behave like a good little member of the proletariat.

Now, if I just had spurs and a .45 to wear with my bandanna...

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know for sure, but maybe the dream was brought about from the homemade chicken enchiladas with green sauce we had for dinner. Come to think of it my loving wife did say something about maybe needing to wear a mask after we went to bed. Could it have simply been the power of thought that cased the dream subject, or was it the enchiladas, maybe a combination of the two?

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I don't know for sure, but maybe the dream was brought about from the homemade chicken enchiladas with green sauce we had for dinner. Come to think of it my loving wife did say something about maybe needing to wear a mask after we went to bed. Could it have simply been the power of thought that cased the dream subject, or was it the enchiladas, maybe a combination of the two?
Have your wife fix the same enchiladas again, then mention hot chicks shooting Taurus guns just before you doze off.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Maybe you should wear a mask in bed and that would solve your dreaming problems.

Our Governor, Comrade Kelly and our mayor, Comrade Whipple, both ordered masks be worn in public. I was doing quite a bit of research about the effectiveness of masks, and the CDC seems to have determined (before this crisis, of course) that masks were not effective in preventing the spread of viruses. It is all an exercise in stupidity as far as I am concerned, but I'll behave like a good little member of the proletariat.

Now, if I just had spurs and a .45 to wear with my bandanna...
They said a mask won't protect THE WEARER from the virus - and it won't totally. Only semi-effective and only if you use and N95 and wear it properly.
It will protect others FROM INFECTED PEOPLE if the infected people wear a mask - by trapping almost all the germs they exhale - even just a simple cloth mask.

Surgical team members ALL wear a simple paper or cloth mask, not to protect themselves from the patient, but to protect the patient from the germs that the breathe out. If it works for surgery to maintain a sterile operating environment, the same principle will work to dramatically reduce spread of the virus if every infected person wears one. Until we can do regular mass testing to isolate the infected, we have to assume anyone and everyone could be infected. So they should wear a mask.

Unfortunately the folks who have been careless and are most likely to be infected and infecting others are some of the same ones who are most resistant to wearing a mask - because it doesn't protect THEM - it protects OTHERS and they don't give a rat's behind about anyone else. That's why we have so many governors trying to FORCE people to wear them with threats of fines, etc. It isn't some symbolic way of proving their "control" or "power". What real difference does it make to the Governor's effective relative level of power whether you wear a mask or not? Not much IMO.

It does make a big difference for rates of spread of the virus though. Ask a surgeon.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I don't think I've had a single good nights sleep that was nightmare free in months now. I think I would pay to have one where I got kicked out of Costco over a mask at this point considering what I've been getting.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
A mask worn in public, to my mind, is a sign of respect to the others that one may come into contact with. The real shame is that we have come to the point where we have to mandate respect.

Regarding Costco, I was there yesterday getting my visual acuity checked. I really like the Ophthalmologist there and it's a real bargain for 70 bucks. Glasses with progressive lenses ( Trifocals, not political lenses :D ) usually run under 300 bucks complete, versus 400+ at other shops. The protocol was to go through a questionnaire and have my temp checked just to gain access to the area where they sell the glasses before getting into the Doc's office.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
They said a mask won't protect THE WEARER from the virus - and it won't totally. Only semi-effective and only if you use and N95 and wear it properly.
It will protect others FROM INFECTED PEOPLE if the infected people wear a mask - by trapping almost all the germs they exhale - even just a simple cloth mask.

Surgical team members ALL wear a simple paper or cloth mask, not to protect themselves from the patient, but to protect the patient from the germs that the breathe out. If it works for surgery to maintain a sterile operating environment, the same principle will work to dramatically reduce spread of the virus if every infected person wears one. Until we can do regular mass testing to isolate the infected, we have to assume anyone and everyone could be infected. So they should wear a mask.

Unfortunately the folks who have been careless and are most likely to be infected and infecting others are some of the same ones who are most resistant to wearing a mask - because it doesn't protect THEM - it protects OTHERS and they don't give a rat's behind about anyone else. That's why we have so many governors trying to FORCE people to wear them with threats of fines, etc. It isn't some symbolic way of proving their "control" or "power". What real difference does it make to the Governor's effective relative level of power whether you wear a mask or not? Not much IMO.

It does make a big difference for rates of spread of the virus though. Ask a surgeon.
Of course surgeons wear masks to keep their spittle out of patients. That doesn't change the fact that the CDC during the SARS outbreak and the H1N1 outbreak didn't recommend wearing masks and could not confirm their effectiveness. Now, in the woke age, elected officials are asking (and ordering) the proletariat to wear them and, somehow, the CDC under an insane, racist, warmongering, dangerous President has decided that people should wear masks, although not N95 masks which they claim ARE effective.

What real difference does it make? I wasn't wearing a mask until our comrade Mayor pushed an ordinance through that provides for fines if we aren't wearing masks. I'm a good little citizen and don't want to make trouble with the police. I guess if I was tearing down a statue or spray painting a police station I wouldn't need a mask, but I'm not anti-police so I guess I have to wear one. (Tell me it ain't political--ha ha).

I know, people feel good about themselves that they are doing something for their fellow man, but it doesn't change the fact that the CDC, in previous virus outbreaks, has said masks are ineffective in preventing the spread of viruses.

I did ask a surgeon about Hydroxychloroquine and he said it was effective. Should I take his word over the CDC about that and masks, or just go with him on the masks and the CDC on Hydroxy.? Ha ha, it ain't political--right....

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
^^ The people of Taiwan are mask wearing fanatics, for a long time, through flu and other respiratory illnesses. Pretty sure there's no law and if you look at their progress through epidemics and pandemics, you might gain some understanding of why they do it.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...id-19-crisis-has-revealed-taiwans-resilience/

https://abc7news.com/testing-for-co...safe-from-virus-reopening-california/6199808/

They also have a national database for every citizen's medical records, which if implemented here could mean that if a person were injured or fell ill anywhere in the country their medical history could be instantly accessed so the attending physician could know their history of conditions and/or disease.

That won't happen here for decades if at all as we are too paranoid (with some reason) that the government could use it against us. Additionally the data could and would be hacked or leaked for ulterior motives.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Administrator
39,387 Posts
Not a mask fan, but since our governor has mandated them in public, I’ll wear one next time I’m in town. Never have worn one before, but I do have three to choose from. Went to church Sunday and a few were wearing them. Churches are exempt from the mandate in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a costco, let alone shopping there. Is it kinda like Walmart? They must be for big city dwellers. I'm allergic to big cities. :D Wonder if they have any in Corpus now, biggest city I was ever forced to live in.

·
Registered
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't recall ever seeing a costco, let alone shopping there. Is it kinda like Walmart? They must be for big city dwellers. I'm allergic to big cities. :D Wonder if they have any in Corpus now, biggest city I was ever forced to live in.
Costco is an over glorified, more expensive, higher end version of a Sams Club.

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
They stole a march on Sam's Club and others with the warehouse "membership" concept. They succeeded by providing brighter lighting, sealed concrete floors to bounce the light around and by hiring great buyers. Their wine selection frequently garners kudos.

BTW...I'm moving this to Covid 19 due to the discussion of masks and pandemics.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
^^ The people of Taiwan are mask wearing fanatics, for a long time, through flu and other respiratory illnesses. Pretty sure there's no law and if you look at their progress through epidemics and pandemics, you might gain some understanding of why they do it.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/orde...id-19-crisis-has-revealed-taiwans-resilience/

https://abc7news.com/testing-for-co...safe-from-virus-reopening-california/6199808/

They also have a national database for every citizen's medical records, which if implemented here could mean that if a person were injured or fell ill anywhere in the country their medical history could be instantly accessed so the attending physician could know their history of conditions and/or disease.

That won't happen here for decades if at all as we are too paranoid (with some reason) that the government could use it against us. Additionally the data could and would be hacked or leaked for ulterior motives.
We already have a national database for health records, housed with the CDC. Of course, not all doctors have to comply with the electronic records provision (and they get fined for not complying) so if your doctor doesn't do electronic records, your data may not be going up there. However, that database isn't available to your health care provider, it is only available to government agents. Go figure!

Yes, Taiwan, with a small island and a tightly controlled population, can more easily stop the spread (and import) of disease. When the SARS outbreak occurred however, our CDC was still spouting the ineffectiveness of face masks, specifically ineffective against SARS. For some reason now, magically, the SARS-CoV-2 virus not only turns around 180 degrees when it sees someone wearing a mask, it pats them on the back as it flees.

If masks were truly effective, why didn't we mandate masks instead of closing the economy? Did the CDC just discover in the last few months that masks are effective?

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I'll wear one to avoid a fine, while at the same time protesting in person as well as via contacting .gov types. But I still can't figure out why I should have to wear one to stop this silly little virus thats not at all dangerous to the vast majority of people.

Maybe I would have been more willing to wear one had they not been so heavy handed about lockdowns etc. But for me it's a bridge too far over something thats not even worth worrying about in the first place for the vast majority of people.

Simply put, I agree masks reduce the spread, but they just are not worth the cost for such a pathetically small chance of harm.

·
Registered
18,505 Posts
I wish I could get the mask dreams. Somehow...:unsure:...mine are always about leather nun Miss Piggy.
1fc7114a3a9af671a8ef3cdd5f6c37ac.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
I found some lightweight gaiters. I can breathe through them. Flag themed. With emphysema, breathing my own exhaust doesn’t help. Satisfies the law/ ordinance/ orders. Keeps me out of jail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts