Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you can see in this pic, but this looks like a regular 45acp shell casing.....but there was something odd about what was written on the rim, it looked foreign or something, and sure enough I caught it before running it through my die, thank goodness. That's a berdan primed case, and there were two of them in my batch of 1,000 I was working up the past couple of days. Could have broke my depriming pin twice. :mad:

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,302 Posts
Good catch! :smile: Been a very long time since I've seen Berdan Primed .45 ACP, but I'm sure they're still out there.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well actually you can only break it once.:D

·
Super Moderator
40,657 Posts
I deprime with a Lee Single Stage Press and the Lee Universal depriming die. I have hit many Berdan primed cases with it. I'm not torquing down on my brass to deprime it so the press just comes to a stop and then I look to see why. The Lee die is pretty tough.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I deprime with a Lee Single Stage Press and the Lee Universal depriming die. I have hit many Berdan primed cases with it. I'm not torquing down on my brass to deprime it so the press just comes to a stop and then I look to see why. The Lee die is pretty tough.
Funny you say that, I have been using my new Lee Universal Depriming Die and so far no problems. I did order an extra decapping pin just in case though.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Interestingly, I ran across several nickel plated 9mm that were berdan primed from range pickup. I also have a tendency to peer into my shell casings before running them through (most of the time at any rate)...

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
As usual after a range trip I emptied my range ammo bag and then started sorting, I do this after every trip and only takes about 45min. Well this time I found about 40 9mm cases that were a different color. Kind of a greenish color or like old oxidized copper. So I looked closer and yeup these too are Berdan primers. Headstamp that I've never seen.

·
Super Moderator
37,639 Posts
I've taken to using a magnet also as some of the brass colored cases are actually steel. The Lee decapping die is designed to have the pin break free and retract upward...I'm still using my original dies/pins....(knock wood)

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Well actually you can only break it once.:D
well actually there is Duct Tape and Super Glue if you want to reassemble the pin and then break it again!!!
Duct Tape and Super Glue make most anything possible!

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Interestingly, I ran across several nickel plated 9mm that were berdan primed from range pickup. I also have a tendency to peer into my shell casings before running them through (most of the time at any rate)...
AHH yep!
my system is when unloading the picked up brass from the range, I sit it on top of the bench/or table so as to sort, its easier to look at the size with it sitting on a flat surface than to look at every head stamp to see the size/caliber.
when you shoot a few calibers its easy to look at a case and assume its a certain size and its not.
thats how I get 40 S & W cases as they are about the same length as 38 Super and the same diameter as 10 MM.
anyway while the cases are sitting on the table/bench I simply look down into them as I am placing them in the dirty brass coffee cans for later cleaning and sizing.
2 holes are easily spotted.

Reactions: kmw1954

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Speaking of range pick up I picked up some brass I thought was 9mm when I got home and looked at them some were short and the headlamp says 9mm Br.c S&B. Case length 0.676 I've picked up a log of brass in the last four years and never as one of these before it does say 9mm kinda short 9mm.. Anybody have any ideas what they are.

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Speaking of range pick up I picked up some brass I thought was 9mm when I got home and looked at them some were short and the headlamp says 9mm Br.c S&B. Case length 0.676 I've picked up a log of brass in the last four years and never as one of these before it does say 9mm kinda short 9mm.. Anybody have any ideas what they are.
compare it to a 380 case!!
the BR I think should be for BROWNING!
overseas the 380 goes by several head stamp designations and 9 MM Browning is one of them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've encountered a lot of Berdan primed 223 brass over the years with my Lee Universal Decapping Die and every time the pin moves up just like it is supposed to do. I rarely encounter Berdan pistol cases. I guess the guys I get my brass from do a good job of finding them and removing them from the batch.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Another reason I visually check inside every case before it goes into the press.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I recently broke mine on some .308 pick up brass. I picked up a new universal pin but need to get a proper pin.
Its stinks having to add a extra step. Pull out the decaper after and put in the broken pin to size the neck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts