Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a couple of weeks ago I had posted how I had been told by my brother,who works there, that Wal-mart was getting 9mm ammo in. While I was waiting for them to come out, a girl who worked there was also waiting on .22 ammo. I purchased what I wanted and left. A couple days later found out from her that she had bought 6 bricks of 555 of .22, she bought 3 and had a friend that also worked there buy 3 for her and both were employee's but on there own time. Because the ammo was not in right away due to shipping delay she worked her 8 hour shift and waited 6 hours after. I only know this as I waited 2 hours for 9mm and we chatted. In the conversation she told me she did not even own a .22 gun at all. Fast forward a couple weeks and my brother gives me the heads up again but I waited to long and other's got there first. I am ok with that as I am not a hoarder and not made of money and still have a few hundred rounds still. Come to find out the same girl was buying 9mm before it hit the shelves on her own time and is also selling the .22 ammo for $20 per 100 but only paid $25 for 555. The lady had already been informed of what she had done with the 9mm and told me that she had approached management about the issue. Giving someone a text to say that it is there on the shelf is one thing but buying it before it even leaves the stockroom to try to sell for profit is a bunch of crap!

·
Registered
24,936 Posts
So that is why I can't get 22LR. Shame on her.

·
Registered
28,071 Posts
This is one of the reasons I do not complain about stores that have raised their prices.
It's simple - price hikes reduce hoarding.
Price hikes reduce reselling.
As long as you don't buy into the frenzy, you can just sit it out and be amused.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Until people stop paying stupid prices, people will keep selling for stupid prices

Reactions: lwb92af and bps1

·
Registered
300 Posts
Some of these idiots don't know what a good price is (mmm... I was one of them too!). But this idiot has wised up and figured out to not buy the over-priced ammo and just wait it out. I stupidly paid twice as much for .45 ammo than I should of. Luckily I only bought a couple of boxes. I guess I am saying I got caught up in the scared tactic of not able to find ammo. Spent the whole day going from gun shop to gun shop and big stores and never found any except the one I paid too much for. (slap on the forehead!):bang:

Lesson learned!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've posted my experience with a local WM with employees literally buying it off the truck, the ammo never reaching the shelves. I got nothing back from corporate and I'm done with WM. the D-bags are selling it on Craigslist for 4x what they paid. Good thing is, I'm starting to see re postings of the same crap and no ones buying. ;-)

·
Registered
751 Posts
LOL, my sympathy may be a little low for a guy admitting he has a bro working for him on the inside but I must admit I'd do the same thing. Haters be hatin'

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
This is one of the reasons I do not complain about stores that have raised their prices.
It's simple - price hikes reduce hoarding.
Price hikes reduce reselling.
As long as you don't buy into the frenzy, you can just sit it out and be amused.
MadKaw, you are my hero. You've explained in simple and easy terms how supply and demand works. Can't believe all the people that blame the gas station owners or "big oil" for high gas prices (same situation as ammo). It's a supply shortage or a high demand that brings prices up. Speculative buyers stabilize prices from wild fluctuations. This girl and Walmart's failure to control their employees is the reason for empty shelves. They should also price ammo at fair market value ( a price high enough so that shelves stay stocked between ammo shipments) so there would not be hoarding because the price would rise to the point where hoarding would not be profitable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not asking for sympathy....I am glad other people got to it first as I really did not have the cash to purchase 3 boxes. He just shoots me a text when it hits the shelves as I have told him before I do not want him getting fired over it. I just think that it is a load of crap that the employees are buying it before it even makes it out of the back room. They get more of a heads up then I do and have the first chance to buy before anybody. And that is all I get is a heads up but they get phone calls all day by people I am sure as where I live it is either Wal-mart or the LGS and he is having a hard time keeping them as well. Other then that it is an hour to the other big box stores and gun shops just to be told sorry all out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went to a gun show here in SC a few weeks ago and the Remington economy boxes that you get at Wal Mart for around 35.00 per 100 cartriges were going for 75-80.00. A freingd of mine who works at wal Mart stated its happening inside and management is trying to nip it in the bud! Let's all hope so.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not asking for sympathy....I am glad other people got to it first as I really did not have the cash to purchase 3 boxes. He just shoots me a text when it hits the shelves as I have told him before I do not want him getting fired over it. I just think that it is a load of crap that the employees are buying it before it even makes it out of the back room. They get more of a heads up then I do and have the first chance to buy before anybody. And that is all I get is a heads up but they get phone calls all day by people I am sure as where I live it is either Wal-mart or the LGS and he is having a hard time keeping them as well. Other then that it is an hour to the other big box stores and gun shops just to be told sorry all out.
Employees telling family when ammo is hitting the shelves could be considered part of the problem too but like I said I would probably do it too. Just enjoying the irony.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
This is why maintaining an "inventory" of what ammo you shoot comes into play. I always keep enough of any caliber I shoot to last me through normal shortages. The last bricks of 22LR I bought were $15.00 a piece and yes I still have several bricks that I bought on sale for $8.00 and $10.00 a brick. I consider it an investment in my "Hedge Fund" since I don't need to pay the inflated prices today!

My only problem with MadKaw's theory is that their increased prices will become the regular prices when the hoarding ends and supplies become more readily available. I'd much rather see a one or two box per day limit the stores could keep a daily log to enforce it and destroy it at the end of the day.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
buying it before it even leaves the stockroom to try to sell for profit is a bunch of crap!

Everything I know about Walmart says this is a violation of company policy.

Reactions: BMC

·
Registered
28,071 Posts
My only problem with MadKaw's theory is that their increased prices will become the regular prices when the hoarding ends and supplies become more readily available. I'd much rather see a one or two box per day limit the stores could keep a daily log to enforce it and destroy it at the end of the day.
So you don't buy the Law of Supply and Demand... I presume you are a Keynsian in other ways as well. (I'm not trying to be insulting, just the way I see it.)
BARNES & NOBLE | Basic Economics 4th Ed: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy / Edition 4 by Thomas Sowell | NOOK Book (eBook), Paperback, Hardcover

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I don't get what your complaining about you have a inside advantage as does the employee I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for 100 rounds of 22 ammo so its there fault also.

·
Registered
267 Posts
the D-bags are selling it on Craigslist for 4x what they paid. Good thing is, I'm starting to see re postings of the same crap and no ones buying. ;-)
My understanding was that firearms and ammunition were items prohibited from being sold on Craigslist, and should be flagged as inappropriate.....

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd much rather see a one or two box per day limit the stores could keep a daily log to enforce it and destroy it at the end of the day.
Would you really trust the stores to destroy such records, and not keep them to hand over to some alphabet agency later? I know I wouldn't. If a store wanted to put my name on a list as having purchased ammo for the day, they would be selling that ammo to someone else, because I would decline such records and leave.

[We really need some kind of paranoid-looking smilie/emoticon here.]

·
Registered
28,071 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts