Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 22 I inherited from my Grandfather and is the gun I learned to shoot with in the '50s. It has a floating chamber (that can be a bear to keep clean) so it will shoot short, long, and long rifle. The stock was hand carved by my Grandfather and I think the bought it about 1945 or so. The darn thing still shoots straight, I wish I could get more 22's and find some Prince Albert (he makes a fine target).

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,420 Posts
Another nice one.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd say it's a keeper.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very nice. Some things are worth more than money. Handed down rifles is definitely one of them.
I know this one goes to my oldest son when it's time to give them up. He has never shot it I would have liked to have taught him to shoot with it but it wasn't to be as Grandpa lived to be 92. That wouldn't have been such a problem except Grandpa lived in Ark. and we were having some money problems at the time so we couldn't travel that much. When Grandpa went to live with my mom he gave the rifle to my favorite uncle in Ark. I taught my son to shoot with the Marlin 66 that I got for Christmas when I was 16 Grandpa carved that stock for me I'll post a pic of some day.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
My Grandfather gave me his Remington 550-1 too. It wouldn't cycle shorts but once I got it cleaned at the dipper it runs like a raged ape! Great rifles, one of very few that will shoot Long, Long Rifles and Shorts all mixed in the same tube.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I didn't inherit this gun I got it for Christmas in 1949. I had it professionally re-blued last summer. I lightly sanded the stock and applied a coat of Tru-Oil. Its a Remington 514 single shot. It aint for sale either. I love old guns that have a personal history such as yours.

(file photo)

Reactions: ncfarmer and Sekol

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I have a .22 rifle that I got for Xmas in 1975 and would never part with it. Gun Firearm Shotgun Rifle Gun barrel

·
Registered
188 Posts
Very Nice, Oldbull360. I have an old Springfield .22 that belonged to my great-grandfather. Single shot...shoots straight and I love it. I had to do some repair to the bolt and trigger, but after it was repaired I showed it to my dad who didn't even realize I still had it. He immediately started talking about all the squirrels he'd shot as a kid with this same gun and we stood in the backyard and ran through a box of .22 shorts as he reminisced. Made his week...it was great.

Reactions: oldbull360

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
I have given my son a Model 1894 Winchester that was purchased by a great uncle in 1897. It was used harvest deer for his family. He had a hunting camp in northern Minnesota and hunted there for many years. There is a photo of him and his hunting party that goes with the rifle.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Beautiful rifle!! I love old 22 rifles! Unfortunately, my family never had any firearms (unless you count the old Remington 380 I found by the furnace in the basement when I cleaned out my parents house after dad died) so I just buy any neat ones I find ...and can afford. They aren't half as good as yours since there are no fond memories attached to them! Enjoy it and shoot it in good health. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,690 Posts
I love those old .22 rifles. My 514 will be passed down as well.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I have a .22 rifle that I got for Xmas in 1975 and would never part with it. View attachment 56515
Ozzy, I too, bought a Winchester Model 290 new in 1964, and fired countless rounds through it. A friend and I were spotlighting jackrabbits back in 1980 and he went out into a field for one that had hunkered down while I held the spotlight. He had run out of shots and came up on the rabbit and clubbed it with the rifle and broke the stock and bent the barrel or the receiver doing so. He's no longer a friend.

Your Winchester 290 is in great shape, but looks like it wasn't used or abused as much as mine was. I did buy a used later model with the fine sights instead of the broad sights mine had, but it was just never the gun my old one was.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Grandfather gave me his Remington 550-1 too. It wouldn't cycle shorts but once I got it cleaned at the dipper it runs like a raged ape! Great rifles, one of very few that will shoot Long, Long Rifles and Shorts all mixed in the same tube.
They aren't too hard to keep clean once you figure out how to take the floating chamber out. The best part of that is you can run a brush through it from the breech instead of the bore.

·
Registered
31 Posts
DDDWho, I inherited the same rifle, the 514. The bolt handle was broken, so a local gunsmith replaced it for about $40. Took a while to sight it in, but it gives a nice grouping at 30 yards. It is in a little rougher shape than yours, though. That is beautiful!! The histories make them priceless.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Great old rifle and the history behind it makes it priceless to you. A lot of members here have an old firearm that they cherish simply because of the story that accompanies it.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
As an owner of two vintage 2013 guns, I thank you for sharing your cherished memories with me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts