Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed my routine a little and really screwed up. I was trying a different IWB holster for my pt111. Was at lunch with the wife, and as I got up to get a refill, I heard a clunk, looked down, there lays my pistol and holster. :eek:Luckily we were leaving,so I just scooped it up and headed for the door. In Tenn. it is not a legal issue, since we can open carry, but it sure was embarrassing. Needless to say, another lesson learned.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Never had it happen either. Was it just the gun? Gun and holster? I'd like to know more details.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Some friends and I went to breakfast one morning and while setting down the edge of the booth caught my PT-145 and popped it right out of my Fobus holster! There it was on the floor spinning around in circles while the lady behind Me's eyes got big as saucers and the waitress stopped dead in her tracks. Well I picked up that pistola and slid it back in it's holster and went about breakfast, but that day it seemed we had the best service we had ever had in that café. So now whenever we are out somewhere and the service is slow someone will usually tell me to throw my pistola on the floor. :D Lost faith in that Fobus holster though and haven't used it since.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dang, that would be scary.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It's never happened to me, but I would have been very embarrassed too! Not to mention that if would have caused a bit of a scene depending on who was watching! :D

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Fortunately, no. But, I did have a magazine drop out of my pistol once, in the supermarket at the checkout line.
I was digging into my pocket for some change; & inadvertently hit the eject button! A lady behind me noticed it
as I stooped to pick it up. She just chuckled! :D

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
I haven't had that happen yet. I would probably be beet red for about a month depending on the location and
the circumstances. My wife dropped my 851 in the middle of our street not too long ago. I was letting her open
carry it on her walk around the neighborhood. She didn't say anything about it, I saw scratches on it and asked
her if she dropped it. She admitted she had dropped it when she reached for her cell phone while she was walking.
Everyone makes mistakes, its a part of life. Hopefully, we learn from them and they are not repeated.

·
Registered
536 Posts
With the three I've tried so far, I've not had that happen. Not even close.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Some friends and I went to breakfast one morning and while setting down the edge of the booth caught my PT-145 and popped it right out of my Fobus holster! There it was on the floor spinning around in circles while the lady behind Me's eyes got big as saucers and the waitress stopped dead in her tracks. Well I picked up that pistola and slid it back in it's holster and went about breakfast, but that day it seemed we had the best service we had ever had in that café. So now whenever we are out somewhere and the service is slow someone will usually tell me to throw my pistola on the floor. :D Lost faith in that Fobus holster though and haven't used it since.

View attachment 26553
That's funny because I never had a retention issue with my Fobus holster when I used to carry a PT111, which I believe uses the same Fobus holster as the PT145. Maybe you didn't have the retention screw tightened enough to keep your PT145 properly retained, because it shouldn't pop out that easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys I think I know how it happened. The holster was a cheap blackhawk iwb that a buddy had given me. After I got home,i started looking at the holster.it seems the belt clip was cheap plastic with no lip on it. It also was only 1.5 inches deep, and I was wearing a 1.75 inch instructors belt, so it bottomed out before it covered the belt. I guess I wasn't as aware as i should have been,but the only major casualty was my pride.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ok guys I think I know how it happened. The holster was a cheap blackhawk iwb that a buddy had given me. After I got home,i started looking at the holster.it seems the belt clip was cheap plastic with no lip on it. It also was only 1.5 inches deep, and I was wearing a 1.75 inch instructors belt, so it bottomed out before it covered the belt. I guess I wasn't as aware as i should have been,but the only major casualty was my pride.
Plus the fact of an AD

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Once in a toilet stall. I forgot to remove it and place it on top of the TP holder like I usually do and it popped out. Luckily no one was in the bathroom to see it.

It did get a good cleaning after that.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Fortunately, no. But, I did have a magazine drop out of my pistol once, in the supermarket at the checkout line.
I was digging into my pocket for some change; & inadvertently hit the eject button! A lady behind me noticed it
as I stooped to pick it up. She just chuckled! :D
Many of us caution that if you're going to pocket carry, you have nothing in that pocket except gun and holster: no money, no car keys, no Jolly Ranchers.
And when you put your hand in that pocket, it should be only for the purpose of drawing the weapon.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Many of us caution that if you're going to pocket carry, you have nothing in that pocket except gun and holster: no money, no car keys, no Jolly Ranchers.
And when you put your hand in that pocket, it should be only for the purpose of drawing the weapon.
It was not a pocket carry holster. I do not pocket carry. It was a cross draw holster on my weak(right) side.
The pistol was the PT940. On a few other occasions, I have inadvertently hit the eject button on that pistol, reaching into my
right pocket.

But that one incident in the store was the first time that the magazine dropped out completely. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Can't imagine how embarrassing that must have been. Makes spending a little more on a holster worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
While working a Mardi Gras parade on plain clothes detail when I was much younger I carried a small pistol in my waistband, no holster. After assisting with a resistive arrestee a little old lady walked up to me and handed me my gun and said I think this might be yours, you dropped it. :eek: I about $#! & myself and was thankful it was her that picked it up than the other trash I had been dealing with all night. I made a few stupid mistakes in my 30years LEO career, and I have not forgotten them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts