Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An experiment that didn't make any improvements in Wolff springs FTF's in DA in the M94.
I have always thought that the hammer pad is too small on the M94, and it is. So I made an add-on out of brass. It weighed 6 grams. I thought extra weight would help the FTF's. It was nice to have the bigger thumb pad, but it made no difference in DA FTF's.
So now its off to play with the spring thing. Somehow to make the stock hammer spring adjustable or just a different spring with tension between stock and Wolff. I am even thinking of a spring over the Wolff spring to get the tension I need.

Attachments

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That's cool!! I so wish I could machine stuff

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I wonder if they could create a "dead blow" hammer with some lead shot inside to improve rimfire strikes?

Reactions: mesadeldoug

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Get rid of the Wolff spring, I have heard of this problem before on wheelguns and semi autos,some of their kits do not work so well.very nice hammer extension though!.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is a little gaudy, but it makes cocking SA much nicer. I thought the extra weight would help the FTF's in DA as the hammer travel is 1/4" less in DA, didn't help. I would like to get a hold of another trigger and modify it. I don't want to mess up the original. Maybe make a whole new hammer.
It was a fun experiment and I like doing things on the mill. Like they say, better luck next time.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
339 Posts
look at the indentation left in the rim by the firing pin. compare it to that of another rimfire. on my Tracker I found that the contact area was much larger than on other guns, reducing that contact area made the Wolff springs usable for mine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting 44.
I just happened to have a container full of spent casings fromr probably a variety of guns. I took a spent casing and dry fired SA and a DA. Of course the SA impression on the rim is deeper. I noticed on another round a round dimple on the rim from another make firearm. The footprint of the Taurus M94 firing pin extends 1/5th of the way across the base of the casing. Could it be that extra energy is wasted with the imprint on the bottom of the casing.
So to shorten the foot of the firing pin so it strikes more on just the rim would be what to do, and sounds like what you did.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
If you make the hammer spring stronger, will you not also increase the amount of trigger pull?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In SA the hammer and trigger spring account for the cocking force. In SA the trigger spring accounts for the trigger pull. In SA cocking the hammer travels to the full rear of the frame opening.
In DA the hammer spring and the trigger spring account for the trigger pull. In DA the hammer travels 1/4" less in the frame before tripping to fire.
So by the laws of physics there is less firing pin striking force in DA compared to SA.
By installing a Wolff trigger spring you would lessen the cocking force of SA, but not by much, and lessen the trigger pull. In DA trigger pull will be less, but probably not by much.
Reference is to M94.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The firing pin footprint of my M94 is @.068 - .070. @ 1/4 the diameter of the casing rim.
The round dimple footprint on some casings is @ .040.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
How wide is the imprint?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imprint is .024 X .070.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Interesting 44.
I just happened to have a container full of spent casings fromr probably a variety of guns. I took a spent casing and dry fired SA and a DA. Of course the SA impression on the rim is deeper. I noticed on another round a round dimple on the rim from another make firearm. The footprint of the Taurus M94 firing pin extends 1/5th of the way across the base of the casing. Could it be that extra energy is wasted with the imprint on the bottom of the casing.
So to shorten the foot of the firing pin so it strikes more on just the rim would be what to do, and sounds like what you did.
you've got the idea. I used cases fired in my .22 rifle as a guide as to how rim contact there should/needs to be. a lot of energy is wasted trying to dent more brass than need be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but I put a factory model 85 spring in my 94. Much improvement and no light strikes after a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More than 2 cents worth MC. There has to be something in between the stock 94 spring and a Wolff spring for the 85. You may have hit on something. But I don't think Taurus is going to send out any springs for anything. I have thought of making a device to measure spring tension using a postal scale. I have thought of a spring over a spring just to get that sweet spot in spring tension. I'm bound and determined to not put that heavy stock hammer spring back in the gun just to get DA. Thanks for the info MC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
More than 2 cents worth MC. There has to be something in between the stock 94 spring and a Wolff spring for the 85. You may have hit on something. But I don't think Taurus is going to send out any springs for anything. I have thought of making a device to measure spring tension using a postal scale. I have thought of a spring over a spring just to get that sweet spot in spring tension. I'm bound and determined to not put that heavy stock hammer spring back in the gun just to get DA. Thanks for the info MC.

Glad I could help, your right don't think taurus is gonna ship you springs. I put wolff springs in my 85 which worked great, then moved that hammer spring only over to the 94. Tried the trigger spring, but just didn't feel right. Sort of spongey.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts