Taurus Firearm Forum banner

???this ammo shoots better than that stuff???

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 ·
i know that each gun like a certain brand better than another, but id like to find out [factory loads only]
what is the brand and grain that you shoot in your pt1911 45acp
that is the most accurate?
in fmj...
and hp...
and which brand have you had the worst luck with?

#2 ·
I haven't had worst luck with any ammo that I've run through my PT 1911, I mostly roll my own 225 gr lead FPRN from Magnus on top of 5 gr of bullseye powder about 16K rounds so far with out any barrel wear also about 1500 round of Winchester 230 gr white box with same results and for reliability on defensive type which is what I keep it loaded with 500 of 230 gr Double Tap bonded Gold Dot, my PT 1911 will even cycle empty brass (fingers crossed)

#4 ·
Both my PT1911s eat anything I put through em. As far as accruacy, I'm shooting mostly quality reloads I get here locally. That said, the pistols are more accurate than the shooter with any ammo. The main difference I see is that some of the cheap ammo shoots really dirty, but if you clean regularly that's not a problem.

#6 ·
my pt 1911 eats any ammo also, i know you wanted factory info,i'm not much help there as i only shoot reloads. i always break in a new gun with factory ammo to rule out ammo as a fault. the first 200 rds. i put WWB through it without any issue.

#7 ·
I've only got about 600 rounds through my PT1911 however I have to say that the Hertzer's Brass jacketed rounds seem to fire the most accurately. I've tried most of the low end ammo's, Rem UMC's, Winchester white box, Federals, Magtech, Independance, etc. I have a box of Tulammo but no range around here will let me use it. My PT will eat anything I feed it, no FTF, FTE's except for the first 5 or so rounds I chambered. That was due to manufacturers Chewing gum.. er I mean assembly oil.

Whenever I try a new type of ammo, I put 1 clip through it using a rest at 7 yards for a control. The rest of the box(es) are at various ranges from 7-25 yards and perform pretty similar. The independance seems to be dirtier than the rest.

Reactions: PCS01
#8 ·
This is the truth.

Asking this question will only get the answer to what is and is not the most accurate in "our" 1911's...Not yours.

Generally speaking, 230 grainer's are the most accurate in most 1911's.

As to which 1911 feeds which JHP's the best is an individual thing that can only be found out by trial and error in your 1911.

Don't trust your life and the live's of your family members on what shoots the best in our guns.

#9 ·
ive been shoot aguila 230gr fmj and im kinda impressed! alittle dirty but not too bad...
put 100 rounds thru her today, flawless! good grouping! every shot on the plate at 25yd!
but then again, thats all ive tried in her. i will be reloading soon as i gather enough brass, as i have everything but components, and i also need to make a bench for my press...
kinda figured all the info gathered here could help out those that wont be reloading in the near future and for breaking in there new babies...

#11 ·
I've run about every kind of factory ammo through mine, never had a jam or failure of any kind. About 2,500 rounds.

I've only run a couple hundred handloads through, mainly the 185 grain Hornady XTP hollowpoint, no issues with that either.

#12 ·
I shoot Federal Champion 230 grain FMJ.

#13 ·
I don't have a PT1911, but both my 945 and my RIA 1911 run on pretty much anything. I haven't tried TulAmmo in the RIA, but my 945 doesn't like it. Fires every time, just doesn't always extract or eject.

#14 ·
My PT1911 will eat anything. With that said for range time I shoot TulAmmo and If I need more or want to run some brass while at the Indoor range they sell magtech.
My normal carry SD ammo is Hornady 185gr Critical Defense.
I have ran every major factory ammo through her and some reloads. Never had a problem with any of them. Dirtiness of ammo doesn't concern me as I really cant tell a difference after putting 300 rounds downrange what kind of ammo was being shot. I also clean what I shoot everytime I shoot, and my carry gets cleaned once a week whether fired or not.
I know this has been said but,
IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHAT ANY OF OUR WEAPONS LIKE OR DISLIKE. YOUR WEAPON IS LIKE A LITTLE CHILD IT WILL HAVE A PERSONALITY ALL ITS OWN. PLEAS DONT BASE ANY AMMO DECISIONS ON ANYTHING READ ANYWHERE, TEST AMMO FOR YOURSELF, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO CARRY THAT WEAPPN FOR SD PURPOSES.

#16 ·
haha that isnt screaming brother, thats called emphasis on those words. I would hate for someone to go hey I got a SS PT1911 just like IDLE's and his shoots Hornady Critical Defense rounds just fine, only to find out that when faced with life and death theirs will not fire or cycle Hornady rounds. I dont want that burden or responsibility.

#17 ·
Yea IDLE, (I hear you) I agree and believe that a defensive round needs to be proven for reliability before carrying, one needs to shot at least 200 rounds worth of failsafe ammo before carrying for SD.

#18 · (Edited)
im thinkin if someones going to bet there life on whats said on a forum......then they really need to take cover NOW!!! cuz THE SKY IS FALLING!:cool:

figured askin this would weed out the couple if any brands that stuck out one way or the other....good and bad,
thus saving someone from finding out 20-50bucks later when goin to the range to practice that brand X has givin thus many PT's missfires or whatever
i know with 22's i prefer cci minimags, theyve always worked the best for all my 22's

#20 ·
At the end of the day.....if said round fires, said round could be a defensive round. By this all I am saying is, my PT1911 will eat and group TulAmmo 230 gr FMJ steel case ammo all day long. With that said I wouldn't load it in my carry magazines but IF I did I have full confidence it would kill the bad guy just as dead as my Hornady CD rounds. Just like I have the same faith with WWB or Corbon rounds. A bullet that will fire is a bullet that can kill, just make sure you know that round will fire.

#19 ·
mine PT1911, his spingfield likes the cheap old unmarked ball ammo my father in law has had forever ,unknown where it came from (weve had it since we left alaska 20 yrs ago) , not reload as far as we can tell, marked ferderal, 45 , 3 inch circles consistant

#22 · (Edited)
Yeah...the Tul at my wallyworld runs 15 bucks for .45 and .380. 10 bucks for 9mm (all boxs of 50) the .223 and 7.62 runs 5 bucks per 20. I shoot this stuff alot because I get alot of trigger time. It is a love/hate ammo there really is no in the middle.
People all the time say it is dirty ammo, in my opinion any weapon with 300 rounds through it looks about the same no matter what ammo you shoot. I can say it is far cleaner than the military ammo I am so used to using while in the service.

If you are brass collecting stick with the Aquila..the Tul is steel cased russian ammo. The same ammo the russians used to defeat the germans btw.

#23 ·
Mine is new. I have put 450 rounds of 230 gr Federal Champion FMJ through it. No problems whatsoever.

I carry with 200 gr +p Speer Gold Dots. It likes those too.:guns:

#24 ·
I personally use a 200 grain copper plated projectile (raniers or berrys) hand load as range ammo.
they print well and operate flawlessly in about 11 different 45 caliber semi auto weapons from a short 3.3 inch barrel through a full 5 inch barreled weapon.
as for defense loads i have a multitude all in the 185-200 grain non plus p modern self defense rounds.
they have all been tested in all the guns and are about as near perfect as anything gets.
I am not a big believer in one modern round is that much superior over the other, shot placement and function are the ruling factors in defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.