Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been one of Willie's biggest fans. Even used to catch him live at Rudy's Barbecue in Boerne when he would sometimes stop by on a Saturday night for dinner and do an impormptu song. And Willie has done lots of good for Texas with charity stuff, the Farm program, and last week donated $100K to the survivors in West Texas. He's a great guy that way.

But, here's the deal. I don't buy a lot of books. I like to read, but I let the library pay for them But I stopped at the bookstore today and browsed while my wife bought some stuff. Willie's Autobiography was there ( Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die ). Small book, and I speed read through much of it while my bride was shopping.

In the book, he has a section on Guns. If I had thought to bring a notebook I would have copied it word for word (get a library copy if you doubt me ) but I'll give you the summary here as close as I can quote it.

Willie claims we need a 2A, but says it goes back to the days of muskets. He further said he didn't think anyone needed a gun that could shoot 100 rounds. A pretty exact quote: " All a man needs is a rifle, shotgun, and a six-gun". Bull-crap, Willie. Bullcrap! That might have been true for John Wesley Hardin, but the 2A doesn't make any restrictions on what KIND of weapons we can be armed with, or HOW MANY weapons we can possess. :( He's entitled to his opinion under the 1A. But I don't have to like it.

Now, I ain't going to burn my Willie CD's. Still like his music. But I ain't about to listen to any of his rhetoric anymore. And I'm sure not buying a copy of the book. Too bad. It's a really un-Texan thing to say.

(BTW - years ago, if memory serves me right, both Willie and his then drummer Paul English were picked up for carrying concealed Colt Commanders without a license. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Have to agree with Chuck. If we put the kind of restrictions on civilian guns that Willie and the liberals would want, we would have the greatest technological disparity between military small arms and civilian small arms in American history. (In fact we're probably already there.)

I like Willie in some ways, have no use for him in other ways.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I don't look to entertainers for their opinion.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Willie is a unique individual. Money to him is something to be spent or given away. He's made a living mostly on persona alone. He is far from a great singer although a few songs by him I like. "My Heros Have Alway Been Cowboys" is a well written "picking up hookers instead of my pen I let the words of my youth fade away" is a great line. He does a good job with the song. His attempts a covering other songs is a disaster for the most part. He mutilates "City of New Orleans". I can only guess he's never heard Arlo sing it.

His views on gun control do not interest me in the least.

Reactions: Joe Reeser

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
he likes and supports obamma per linbaugh

·
Super Moderator
21,901 Posts
A couple of thoughts on Willie and yes I have been a fan but have some opinions on him that I would like to share. One is he has used one of the Hells Angles as his main bodyguard for a long time throughout his career. Second if the first amendment covers E-mail and TV and modern day news and opinions in Cyberspace then the Second grows with it to include weapons that are current to the time. And saying that its written to only include muskets just shows how ignorant on the Constitution you really are. It was written to grow and cover things as they advanced through modern life just as the 1st did.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I applaud his charity efforts but he can't sing a lick and I have no use for his personal opinion.Too many people idolize someone and then follow them like puppies.The most extraordinary thing he has done is to be still alive.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
I like the man for what is has given. He came from small town Texas, later became a Sunday School teacher in Ft. Worth. All in all he has kept to his roots. As for his personal views, be it on who in the White House or how many rounds a firearm should be loaded to capacity with.....I flat don't care. Just as I'm sure he cares even less of my personal views.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
He is as valid as the pro gun side according to Uncle Ted. Neither have served in the military nor no jack about the 2nd nor how the government works. Just my opinion and I wouldn't burn any of their CD over their opinions as they are as valid as any other citizen of this country including the great******* state of Texas.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
I knew there was a good reason I hated Willie Nelson and now I have it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
"I never smoke weed with Willie again"

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I don't look to entertainers for their opinion.
I agree wholeheartedly. Take Jane Fonda, yes I really mean anybody take her. She couldn't pay me enough to walk across the street to see her even with nothing more than what she was born wearing even with Teddy's millions! I guess I just have better tastes than some including Ted T.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I like his music, regardless of his politics. So I listen to it. Even saw him not too long ago, he still tours believe it or not. He's entitled to his opinion.

·
Registered
824 Posts
There is something weird about Willie Nelson. I still like him. However, he does send mixed messages. For example, here are two of his hit songs...

"My Heroes have always Been Cowboys", and
"Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys"

Huh?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
In his defense, his mind is probably made up of 80% bong residue. I still like his music, Poncho and Lefty is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I do not like Toby Keith.
I really don't like hardly any music or musicians.
I don't care for many in Hollywood.

I don't mind anyone have an opinion. They have a right to their own opinions just like I do. I don't care if they are pro 2A or against it. I don't care if they're pro gay marriage or against it. I don't care if they're a liberal, conservative, Republican or Democrat. I don't mind them voicing their options IF they are respectful about it. I like a good debate as long as it's rational.

I generally watch/listen to what entertains me. If it's liberal Hollywood/Nashville star than so be it.. UNTIL I feel they cross a line... Jim Carey, Matt Louer, Bob Costa, Pierce Morgan and others.. I couldn't care less about them, and REFUSE to watch anything they are a part of.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I still think Willie is a Texan just flying under the radar...:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts