Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just joined today but I've been lurking for a bit. I've been looking for a new summertime carry and have been eyeballing the 85B3. This one to be exact:

Taurus 85B3 38SP 3IN FS BL $337.00 SHIPS FREE

It seems that the 85 has been a staple of Taurus for a good while but is there a decent selection of aftermarket grips or holsters available? Holster wise I'm just looking for something that I can keep at or near the small of my back.

This particular 85 is steel, right? I'm not interested in an aluminum or weight saver. I'm 6'3 and am carrying a good bit of extra weight anyways so that's the least of my concerns.

Thanks Taurus gurus!

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Welcome aboard the forum. And you are correct the M85 belongs in ever gun collectors inventory. I have four M85 sized revolvers in mine. My only suggestion would be to also look into maybe changing your choice to the same size frame but in a .357 magnum round. You will still have the abiltiy to shoot 38spl ammo if that is your choice. But, also have the option to step up to the .357mag load if desired. Price wise, if you shop the cost will be very little. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and I hope we can help you along . I have a 80's version of the M-85 and it a great gun Holster choice is great I have had no problem with finding good leather and I hear they have some nice Kydex out there too. Check out some of our sponsors and also some of the main holster maker . Don Hume, Desantis Crossbreed mini tuck and Galco. Are a few. Any more questions just ask away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard the forum. And you are correct the M85 belongs in ever gun collectors inventory. I have four M85 sized revolvers in mine. My only suggestion would be to also look into maybe changing your choice to the same size frame but in a .357 magnum round. You will still have the abiltiy to shoot 38spl ammo if that is your choice. But, also have the option to step up to the .357mag load if desired. Price wise, if you shop the cost will be very little. Just a thought.
I appreciate it and will have to add that to consideration. :)

Or check out CDNN, they have the .327 magnum in stainless for $249.99. Ammo is a little more expensive, but delivers the punch of a .357Mag without the recoil. Yea, it does come with pink grips (why, who knows?) but those can be changed out with Hogue grips for around $13.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.
Wow, thanks for the link to that catalog. I'm seeing what looks to be the same gun, possibly, for maybe $50 less. Is the M85 38 Special with 3in Barrel the same as what I linked above? It's on page 4 of the catalog, the bottom right. Thanks for the recommendation on the .327 magnum and I will have to read up a bit more on the caliber.

This will be my first revolver so I'm hoping to go with something that is a classic to further entice me into the dark world of the wheelgun. :p

Thanks guys but is there a good selection of grips and holsters available for the 85s?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Forum and I hope we can help you along . I have a 80's version of the M-85 and it a great gun Holster choice is great I have had no problem with finding good leather and I hear they have some nice Kydex out there too. Check out some of our sponsors and also some of the main holster maker . Don Hume, Desantis Crossbreed mini tuck and Galco. Are a few. Any more questions just ask away.
Hey 45, sorry had just posted when I saw your reply. Thanks for the info on holsters! I'll be sure to check out some of the sponsors as well.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome! Remember when searching for holsters that the 85 series is the same size as a j frame. A lot of manufactures don't list Taurus. As for grips, I like Hogues.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are many variations of the 85 available, and you can't go wrong with any of them!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Hello from Piqua Ohio.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
27,108 Posts
A couple of links...
Taurus 2012 Full Line Catalog

I see you've already gotten a bunch of "Wait, there's more..." advice. Sooner or later somebody is going to point out that you should get a 1911, instead. They're all right - and they're all wrong. My point would be that no matter what - you need an 85, either on your body or in your safe. There are lots of other Tauri you can add to your safe, but sooner or later you'll get an 85 - so it might as well be sooner.

And :wave:

Reactions: wiredgeorge

·
Registered
306 Posts
Greetings my friend from the great state of Michigan, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A couple of links...

I see you've already gotten a bunch of "Wait, there's more..." advice. Sooner or later somebody is going to point out that you should get a 1911, instead. They're all right - and they're all wrong. My point would be that no matter what - you need an 85, either on your body or in your safe. There are lots of other Tauri you can add to your safe, but sooner or later you'll get an 85 - so it might as well be sooner.

And :wave:
Hey, thanks for the links and welcome. I had a Springfield Armory 1911 and gave it to my father a few years ago...something I'm wishing I hadn't done. I've seen some real possibilities though while browsing through the various Tauri. I'm not in a hurry to get another though, there are plenty of guns out there that are just waiting to be fondled by me.

Thanks again!

This looks like a friendly forum, glad I stopped by.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Or check out CDNN, they have the .327 magnum in stainless for $249.99. Ammo is a little more expensive, but delivers the punch of a .357Mag without the recoil. Yea, it does come with pink grips (why, who knows?) but those can be changed out with Hogue grips for around $13.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

jonrjen? First advice from a fellow Texan is to buy a pistol with pink grips? Bwhahaha (sorry, can't help it but when I read your advice I got spittle all over my computer screen).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee. yes, the M85 is a great gun and I love mine. I am wanting the .357 now but may have to wait. I carry mine in a Fobus Holster when I wear sweatshirts or jackets and a Uncle Mike's pocket holster all other times. Itw orks great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts