Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting the Model 856 in steel to use as my new carry gun. Any thoughts on this, pro or con? I like the 2'' barrel, that it holds 6 rounds of 38+P and is not too heavy(22oz.) for carry in an OWB holster.

Thanks for any input you have on this.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'd say it's a pretty good choice. I carry the Model 817 with 2" barrel, and I'm pretty happy with it. The difference can't be too big.

·
Administrator
35,440 Posts
You won't hear an argument from me. I've read really great things about the gun, and it has one extra round with roughly the same size as the regular mod 85. What's not to like?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve48 said:
I'd say it's a pretty good choice. I carry the Model 817 with 2" barrel, and I'm pretty happy with it. The difference can't be too big.
Steve,

The Model 817 is .357 mag, but can you shoot .38 sp. through it for practice at the range without doing any dmage to it?

And, how is the recoil?

Thanks.

·
32,585 Posts
Would you believe the 617 is the .357 magnum and the 817 is the .38 Special version? It is that way.
Yes sir, the catalog confirms the above assertion of the 617 being the magnum and the 817 is the .38.

·
Administrator
35,440 Posts
I own the 617, and I'd imagine it's just a bit longer and wider than the 856.....the 856 is still built on the smaller frame.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
RonJ said:
Steve,

The Model 817 is .357 mag, but can you shoot .38 sp. through it for practice at the range without doing any dmage to it?

And, how is the recoil?
Ron, as Quiks Draw pointed out, the 817 is a .38 SP. However, I do have .357 magnum revolvers and you definitely can shoot .38 SP from them without damage. You do have to clean them well, or you can get lead deposits in the cylinder that would make it difficult to insert the longer .357 mag cartridge.

The recoil on the 817 is strong, but not overly strong. Not the sort of thing that makes you reluctant to shoot it or develop a flinch. I suspect that a .357 mag of the same weight would be pretty bad.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Qwiks draw said:
Would you believe the 617 is the .357 magnum and the 817 is the .38 Special version? It is that way.
Yes sir, the catalog confirms the above assertion of the 617 being the magnum and the 817 is the .38.
Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts