Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may have seen from my other posts I already own a PT-99AFS and am quite happy with it.
The Taurus 1911 model has now become available here in Australia and I'm thinking of buying one some time over the next 3 months.

Few are seen in the wild here so hard for me to get local feedback about the guns so can anyone please bring me up to speed about the current model 1911. Any issues, any tuning tips, anything that should be done or avoided with them? All that sort of stuff.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
38,003 Posts
It is the most iconic and customizable pistol that you can acquire today. If you select one in .45 ACP I am pretty sure that you will find that the recoil is more manageable than your PT-99AFS. I have not read or heard of too many people who ever regretted buying one...certainly not OLFARHORS who will be along shortly.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I bought my PT1911 .45 new about a year ago. The tip of the extractor broke at about 130 rounds. I replaced the extractor and now have close to 1,000 trouble free rounds. The gun is easy to shoot and very accurate. If I had the money I would buy another one.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
well If you are speaking totally about the Taurus Pt1911 then not really, most all the bugs are pretty much worked out of them now after many years of production.
The bad thing about the PT1911 is that it has almost become like the Model T Ford, you can have it anyway that you want it as long as its black!
the choices are stainless or blue, and with rail or without, 9MM or 45 acp.
I own 4 Pt1911's , a AL (alloy frame) a stainless (in 38 Super) a 1911 -b (with hienie straight eight sights) and a Duo-tone, I like the diversity of the calibers and finishes.
I don't know if you can find a better 1911 with the features at a better price ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Remember they dont live well alone they are a pack animal. You start with one it starts telling you it needs a playmate so the n you own 2 now they bot start working on you for more friends. soon you dont know how many 1911s you a supporting and you are broke but they make you happy so it worth it Randy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Do not think.
Do it. You will not be disappointed and you will be very happy with one.
Trust us, It is MUST for any gun owner / enthusiest
I'll jump in and "Amen" the advice that Josh45 has just shared. :)

I paid $539.99 for this PT1911AL beauty!

Attachments

Reactions: Maximumbob54

·
Administrator
40,573 Posts
I recommend you buy the PT1911, and shoot the snot out of it. That's really all you have to do to it. Of course a thorough first time cleaning is in order, but I bet you already knew that. I have a stainless model, no rail, and have been extremely pleased with it. Something over 7,000 trouble free rounds.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My GI 1911A1 gets along very well being the only one, as long as I take it out regularly to stroke and fondle it.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
My GI 1911A1 gets along very well being the only one, as long as I take it out regularly to stroke and fondle it.
Its just setting you up for the I need a friend talk. Just get it over and get one in 9mm to go with it. Then 38 super. how about a compact or a 22 conversion kit. Randy

·
Super Moderator
38,003 Posts
My PT1911 SS is an only child in the 1911 family, but it knows it's Daddy's boy because he always gets to go out when the others are sometimes left behind.

·
Registered
31 Posts
well If you are speaking totally about the Taurus Pt1911 then not really, most all the bugs are pretty much worked out of them now after many years of production.
The bad thing about the PT1911 is that it has almost become like the Model T Ford, you can have it anyway that you want it as long as its black!
the choices are stainless or blue, and with rail or without, 9MM or 45 acp.
I own 4 Pt1911's , a AL (alloy frame) a stainless (in 38 Super) a 1911 -b (with hienie straight eight sights) and a Duo-tone, I like the diversity of the calibers and finishes.
I don't know if you can find a better 1911 with the features at a better price ?
Olfarhors, is that a Hogue wrap around grip on the stainless in your photo? I'm thinking of getting one, but I have small hands and am concerned about it adding too much thickness. What do you think about that? Also, does it help cushion recoil? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Olfarhors, is that a Hogue wrap around grip on the stainless in your photo? I'm thinking of getting one, but I have small hands and am concerned about it adding too much thickness. What do you think about that? Also, does it help cushion recoil? Thanks.
Johni I have the hogue wraparound grips on all my 1911s I shoot better with it than any other grip it adds a asmall amount of size but I get a more consistent grip with it. I dont notice any recoil reduction but the gun does not move in my hand under recoil
Randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Johni I have the hogue wraparound grips on all my 1911s I shoot better with it than any other grip it adds a asmall amount of size but I get a more consistent grip with it. I dont notice any recoil reduction but the gun does not move in my hand under recoil.
Randy

Randy, thanks for your response. I will be ordering those grips.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 1911 is the "One True Pistol Design" and one could not possibily go wrong with a purchase if a 1911.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
No! actually on the stainless thats the Taurus factory plastic grips, the blue 1911 has hogues on it though.
The Hogues have the backstrap open but are thicker than stock, if you go with the wrap around.
But Hogue makes regular sized grip panels in rubber that are not wrap arounds, they look just like the regular grips except they are rubber, they also make a set like that but have palm swells built in that i really like the feel of myself, they swell a bit at the bottom to fill the hand better.
Generally speaking the rubber grips are open at the abck so they do not really eat up a lot of recoil but do offer a better grip and feel to most people.
Honestly I have Raasco, Hogue, G-10 grips on different 1911's and like different grips on the different guns, weird but thats the way i am.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
My PT1911s are my favorite shooters. The blue on my son claims probably has over a 1000 rnds through with no problems. My stainless has around 700rnds through it. They have digested every type of ammo offered and have been flawless. My son did have a rear site screw come loose, but sighted it back in and with a little locktite it seems to be okay (my son could tear up and anvil with a tack hammer lol).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts