Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Thinking about reloading ...

3K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  jwc007 
#1 ·
If I buy THIS and a set of dies, what else would I need besides bullets, primers, and powder?

I've read some things that recommend getting some add ons, but I'm wanting to start out smartly (read as 'only what I need' i.e. cheaply).

Thanks for the help in advance! :)

Discussion starter · #6 ·
rainman said:
Flyer, I think it all depends on your loading sequence to which primer tool you would use. I use a four stage auto indexing turret but after de-capping I prime by hand using the Lee auto primer. This allows me the opportunity to inspect my primer pocket and resize the case if necessary. Once done, I can sit down with a load of de-caped cases and using the Lee auto primer that I REALLY like, prime 100 cases in just a few minutes. I’ve literally loaded thousands of rounds with this little jewel and have never had it fail me. Great product for a very reasonable price.
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that this thing?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=807875

Discussion starter · #7 ·
jwc007 said:
Same kit slightly cheaper here.

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/...928&Category_Code=Semi-Progressive+Press+Kits

You will also need a good Powder Scale. I recommend the RCBS 505 for a basic scale. There are also some nice electronic Scales. I use a Pact Digital Scale. I recommend reading the Lyman Reloading Manual, 48th edition. A Case Cleaner/Polisher is also a very good idea, as the brass must be cleaned before reloading.
The kit comes with a scale, are you saying a different scale? Is there something wrong with the one that it comes with?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
James41 said:
That is a good system for someone starting out. Not sure if i would get the auto indexing though especially if it has the same setup the LoadMaster does. But the turret system works very well. It should come with about everything you need to use. You might want later to get a better powder dispenser, but then again it might work just fine for you. Get the hand primer for sure they work great. I use it even with my Dillon every now and then, comes in real handy. The scale that comes with it will work... i like a digital scale better, but lots of people love the balance scales.

You will need brass, primers, powder, bullets. Once used brass works just fine and you can get 8 to 10 reloades with no problems, more if no problems show up. Buying in bulk is the only way you are going to get any real decent prices. If you buy by the pound and by the hundred, your per cost is going to be way up.

For example a pound of powder at the dealers around here runs about $25. If you can buy in bulk of say 8 pound jugs, you can get it for as low as $15. Same with primers, around here the dealers are charging about $26 per thousand, buy in 5 thousand lots at $17.

Using once used brass you will probably want to get a tumbler to clean the brass up. Other than that, you will be set to go. Good luck and happy shooting...
That's good information!

As far as the powder dispenser, the one with the kit will get me going safely I assume? It's just not as easy as some others that are available??

I haven't thought about a tumbler. Back to the shopping page .....

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I did it ...

I got the press linked above, the primer, double disk set and a 45acp die set. I also got a book, the 49th edition and a little something else for the PT1911. ;)

I'll have to wait another week or 2 before getting supplies. That should give me ample time to read up on reloading and look through the book a time or 2.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Please PM me those links if you don't mind. One of my coworkers has a dealer account with MidWay, while the savings aren't big, they are still some marked off of the marked price. I didn't look to see the savings amount on the supplies, I was just hardware shopping yesterday.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
My dad used to tell me 'if your aunt had balls ... well, she'd be your uncle'. ;)

If considere getting an FFL license on more than one occasion though.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
James41 said:
Pm will be there today. Midway has some good stuff and usually at fair prices, but as with everything they are not always the cheapest price. I can say about Midwayusa though that they do give very good customer support and service and i usually deal with them if possible. But like most the bottom line is what usually wins in the end.
I got the email! Huge thanks there. Lots of info to check out.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
HAHA ... How about ... you get into reloading, and YOU can send ME ammo. :D

In case anyone's wondering, there are other videos on YouTube that seem to be somewhat informative. Others on there just suck too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.