Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy THIS and a set of dies, what else would I need besides bullets, primers, and powder?

I've read some things that recommend getting some add ons, but I'm wanting to start out smartly (read as 'only what I need' i.e. cheaply).

Thanks for the help in advance! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Flyer, I think it all depends on your loading sequence to which primer tool you would use. I use a four stage auto indexing turret but after de-capping I prime by hand using the Lee auto primer. This allows me the opportunity to inspect my primer pocket and resize the case if necessary. Once done, I can sit down with a load of de-caped cases and using the Lee auto primer that I REALLY like, prime 100 cases in just a few minutes. I’ve literally loaded thousands of rounds with this little jewel and have never had it fail me. Great product for a very reasonable price.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,276 Posts
Same kit slightly cheaper here.

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/...928&Category_Code=Semi-Progressive+Press+Kits

You will also need a good Powder Scale. I recommend the RCBS 505 for a basic scale. There are also some nice electronic Scales. I use a Pact Digital Scale. I recommend reading the Lyman Reloading Manual, 48th edition. A Case Cleaner/Polisher is also a very good idea, as the brass must be cleaned before reloading.

Lee Carbide .45 ACP die set (assuming you are loading for your PT1911)
Lyman .45 Caliber M-Die Case Mouth Expander
Lee AutoDisk Powder Measure

A Priming Tool of your own choosing. Lee Auto Prime or Lee Handprime. I've had good luck with the Lee Handpriming tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
That is a good system for someone starting out. Not sure if i would get the auto indexing though especially if it has the same setup the LoadMaster does. But the turret system works very well. It should come with about everything you need to use. You might want later to get a better powder dispenser, but then again it might work just fine for you. Get the hand primer for sure they work great. I use it even with my Dillon every now and then, comes in real handy. The scale that comes with it will work... i like a digital scale better, but lots of people love the balance scales.

You will need brass, primers, powder, bullets. Once used brass works just fine and you can get 8 to 10 reloades with no problems, more if no problems show up. Buying in bulk is the only way you are going to get any real decent prices. If you buy by the pound and by the hundred, your per cost is going to be way up.

For example a pound of powder at the dealers around here runs about $25. If you can buy in bulk of say 8 pound jugs, you can get it for as low as $15. Same with primers, around here the dealers are charging about $26 per thousand, buy in 5 thousand lots at $17.

Using once used brass you will probably want to get a tumbler to clean the brass up. Other than that, you will be set to go. Good luck and happy shooting...

Oh ya, you will need dies for the cal that you want to load. I recommed the Lee dies. Get the carbide 4 die set, top quality dies.
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rainman said:
Flyer, I think it all depends on your loading sequence to which primer tool you would use. I use a four stage auto indexing turret but after de-capping I prime by hand using the Lee auto primer. This allows me the opportunity to inspect my primer pocket and resize the case if necessary. Once done, I can sit down with a load of de-caped cases and using the Lee auto primer that I REALLY like, prime 100 cases in just a few minutes. I’ve literally loaded thousands of rounds with this little jewel and have never had it fail me. Great product for a very reasonable price.
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't that this thing?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=807875
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jwc007 said:
Same kit slightly cheaper here.

http://www.fmreloading.com/cgi-bin/...928&Category_Code=Semi-Progressive+Press+Kits

You will also need a good Powder Scale. I recommend the RCBS 505 for a basic scale. There are also some nice electronic Scales. I use a Pact Digital Scale. I recommend reading the Lyman Reloading Manual, 48th edition. A Case Cleaner/Polisher is also a very good idea, as the brass must be cleaned before reloading.
The kit comes with a scale, are you saying a different scale? Is there something wrong with the one that it comes with?
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James41 said:
That is a good system for someone starting out. Not sure if i would get the auto indexing though especially if it has the same setup the LoadMaster does. But the turret system works very well. It should come with about everything you need to use. You might want later to get a better powder dispenser, but then again it might work just fine for you. Get the hand primer for sure they work great. I use it even with my Dillon every now and then, comes in real handy. The scale that comes with it will work... i like a digital scale better, but lots of people love the balance scales.

You will need brass, primers, powder, bullets. Once used brass works just fine and you can get 8 to 10 reloades with no problems, more if no problems show up. Buying in bulk is the only way you are going to get any real decent prices. If you buy by the pound and by the hundred, your per cost is going to be way up.

For example a pound of powder at the dealers around here runs about $25. If you can buy in bulk of say 8 pound jugs, you can get it for as low as $15. Same with primers, around here the dealers are charging about $26 per thousand, buy in 5 thousand lots at $17.

Using once used brass you will probably want to get a tumbler to clean the brass up. Other than that, you will be set to go. Good luck and happy shooting...
That's good information!

As far as the powder dispenser, the one with the kit will get me going safely I assume? It's just not as easy as some others that are available??

I haven't thought about a tumbler. Back to the shopping page .....
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,276 Posts
Sorry, I did not see that it came with a Scale. I do not have any experience with that particular scale. As long as you check it for accuracy and Zero, there should be no problems with it, in theory.

As it comes with a Lee Auto Disk Kit, I would also get the Lee Dual Disk Kit for that Powder measure that allows you to fine tune Loads. If you are going to be switching Calibers often, another Powder Measure that you can leave setup on each turret would be nice down the road, but not required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Flyer said:
The kit comes with a scale, are you saying a different scale? Is there something wrong with the one that it comes with?
The Lee kits come with a balance beam scale. They work, they are just kind of slow and a little hard to use for those of us with old eyes...(G) That is why a lot of us get the digital electronic scales.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Flyer said:
That's good information!

As far as the powder dispenser, the one with the kit will get me going safely I assume? It's just not as easy as some others that are available??

I haven't thought about a tumbler. Back to the shopping page .....
Yes the powder dispenser will get you going. Depending on the powder you use it may give you a bit of a problem with flow. They make an accessory for that dispenser that meters the powder much better than the way it comes, but it will get you going and never give you any problems... The accessory is something you can get at a later time if you want it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
40,380 Posts
Looks to me like, all you need are the dies, and you are off to the races. As said above a tumbler is nice. Once you get under way, you will know what you need next. ;)
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did it ...

I got the press linked above, the primer, double disk set and a 45acp die set. I also got a book, the 49th edition and a little something else for the PT1911. ;)

I'll have to wait another week or 2 before getting supplies. That should give me ample time to read up on reloading and look through the book a time or 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Flyer, consider the Lee 4-Hole Classic Turret Press over the one pictured. It's a better unit. Either of these are semi-progressive. But, you can do a single operation easily if you choose to. I have deprimed on a couple occasions but usually just set her up and go. You will need:

The press and dies (the 4-hole turret allows the addition of the Factory Crimp Die
The scale as previously mentioned. The Lee scale is sufficient unless you are needing to get more accurate than 1/10th of a grain
The Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure - you may also want to consider the Charge Bar as it's easily adjusted and stays put once you have the measurement you desire
A calipers and/or case gage. Both would be a good idea
The Lee Safety Primes work well for many and lousy for others. I happen to be one of the many; I love it.
The riser for the powder dump if using the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure

I bought my "kit" from www.kempguns.com. Their kits allowed upgrades on the the Powder Measure and the Safety Prime. I also bought the scale, calipers and a Thumler Tumbler from them. All of this was for 45ACP. I have since added a second turret and the 380ACP dies and the factory crimp die. Change out takes about 1 minute except for reweighing on the scale to make sure of the correct loads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Flyer said:
I did it ...

I got the press linked above, the primer, double disk set and a 45acp die set. I also got a book, the 49th edition and a little something else for the PT1911. ;)

I'll have to wait another week or 2 before getting supplies. That should give me ample time to read up on reloading and look through the book a time or 2.
Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of reloading... I guess it is only fair to warn you that you now have two hobbies that feed off each other. First you will find that you are shooting a lot more than before probably because the ammo is now cheaper. Then you will find that you are shooting even more than before because you want the empty cases so that you can reload.....(G)

Everyone has their favorite powders, primers, etc so you will have to figure out just which ones you like the best. To start out with i would recommend Winchester 231 or Hodgdon Titegroup powders. They work real well for me with my 45's. Next i have had really good performance with Wolf primers, you will need the Large Pistol for the 45. I would recommend a starting load of about 4.7gr on the powder and see how it goes from there. I have found a 5.0gr works just great on my guns.

You will need to buy in volumes in order to get decent prices on the makins' and Midwayusa is not always the best prices. If interested i can give you a few urls to places to look for the better prices if you don't already know them.
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please PM me those links if you don't mind. One of my coworkers has a dealer account with MidWay, while the savings aren't big, they are still some marked off of the marked price. I didn't look to see the savings amount on the supplies, I was just hardware shopping yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Pm will be there today. Midway has some good stuff and usually at fair prices, but as with everything they are not always the cheapest price. I can say about Midwayusa though that they do give very good customer support and service and i usually deal with them if possible. But like most the bottom line is what usually wins in the end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Flyer said:
Please PM me those links if you don't mind. One of my coworkers has a dealer account with MidWay, while the savings aren't big, they are still some marked off of the marked price. I didn't look to see the savings amount on the supplies, I was just hardware shopping yesterday.
Ah, but you too could get that discount if you got a C&R license!

And with Brownells, and with Graf and Sons...
 

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
Joined
·
6,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dad used to tell me 'if your aunt had balls ... well, she'd be your uncle'. ;)

If considere getting an FFL license on more than one occasion though.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top