Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across a Hornady kit while browsing Cabela's website, and it comes with a rebate, if purchased by the end of the year, for 500 Hornady bullets of your choice from a list of several types. It appears to be just about everything I need to get started, and I was hoping some of the more experienced reloaders around here could take a look and give me some feedback on it so I don't waste $400-500.

It comes with the Lock-n-Load Classic single stage press.

The kit can be found here: Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Classic Auto Charge Deluxe Reloading Kit : Cabela's

From the Cabela's description:
This kit also includes:

• Universal Loading Block
  • Chamfer/Deburr Tool
  • One Shot Case Lube
  • Hornady’s Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition
  • Powder Funnel
  • Handheld Priming Tool with additional primer tray
  • three Quick-Change Die Bushings
  • L-N-L Auto Charge Powder Dispenser
  • Primer Catcher
  • Positive Priming System and the following shell holders: No.1, No. 2, No. 5, No. 16 and No. 35.
Any hints/tips/tricks/etc. would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24,615 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I stumbled across a Hornady kit while browsing Cabela's website, and it comes with a rebate, if purchased by the end of the year, for 500 Hornady bullets of your choice from a list of several types. It appears to be just about everything I need to get started, and I was hoping some of the more experienced reloaders around here could take a look and give me some feedback on it so I don't waste $400-500.

It comes with the Lock-n-Load Classic single stage press.

The kit can be found here: Hornady® Lock-N-Load® Classic Auto Charge Deluxe Reloading Kit : Cabela's

From the Cabela's description:
This kit also includes:

• Universal Loading Block
  • Chamfer/Deburr Tool
  • One Shot Case Lube
  • Hornady’s Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 8th Edition
  • Powder Funnel
  • Handheld Priming Tool with additional primer tray
  • three Quick-Change Die Bushings
  • L-N-L Auto Charge Powder Dispenser
  • Primer Catcher
  • Positive Priming System and the following shell holders: No.1, No. 2, No. 5, No. 16 and No. 35.

Any hints/tips/tricks/etc. would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
There doesn't seem to be a press included. Kind of dead in the
water without one. (Edit. There is a press included. It's listed in
the main description).

The Lee 50th Anniversary kit is a great deal. It'll outlast you
I'm sure. That almost $300 savings buys a LOT of bullets. Heck,
it's almost another gun!

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Look at turret presses!

You can use them as a single stage if you want but you cannot expand a single stage into a turret. You will most likely buy another press once you learn the basic steps starting with a single stage! It can serve you as a 'stand alone' station if you do go that route it won't be junk — my .02!

I'm loading LOTS of straight walled pistol AND 3 necked rifle cartridges (7 calibers in all) on a Lee 4 head turret and doing just fine with it! Cost effective, fast enough (part of that is YOU) - in touch with each part of the process.

Reactions: william and dwhite

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I think it is more fun with a single stage press.
I don't see a need for a turret unless you are going to load several hundred or thousands of rounds.
I do maybe 200 rounds a week and only when I need them. Maybe even only that many a month.
(But then, I don't have unlimited funds, either!)
Mostly the Match Target ammo.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There doesn't seem to be a press included. Kind of dead in the
water without one.
It isn't listed in the stuff I quoted, but there is a press included.

Thanks for the input, guys. There's a reason I asked here. You guys know far better than I do because some of you have been doing this longer than I've been alive. Sorry if you feel old after that comment...

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Just 'cause some of us had pet dinosaurs doesn't make us old! :D
Seriously, online will get you a better deal, even with shipping charges.
Just Google RELOADING SUPPLIES and you will find many places that sell and maybe a good deal somewhere.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
About the only shopping I don't do online is for groceries. I'm all about stuff getting delivered to my door. I was just sort of curious about that particular package and general opinions on it. I really do appreciate all the input, guys. Any other recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
What cartridges do you want to load for, and how many rounds do you shoot a month/year?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What cartridges do you want to load for, and how many rounds do you shoot a month/year?
I want to start loading 9mm, .223, and .300 Blackout, and I don't shoot much right now, but my income is about to increase dramatically, which will allow me to shoot quite a bit more so hopefully several thousand this year, time permitting. Two jobs and school kind of kill any spare time.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Yeah, maybe a turret press then.
I still think you can do better than Cabela's if you go online for what you want.
MidwayUSA also sells reloading stuff. Their shipping charges suck, though
Brownells, not too bad on price and shipping.
Graf & Sons, I get some stuff from them.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Oh, if you have a Bass Pro Shop within a reasonable distance from you, check and see if they carry reloading supplies.
They carry presses, dies, accessories, powder, primers, books and bullets.
You might pay a little more than online, but with no shipping charges or HazMat on powder and primers, you might come out slightly ahead.

·
Registered
14,813 Posts
Graf and sons and FSreloading are about your best locations for reloading supplies. I have to agree with others that suggest the Turret. I started with the Lee 50th Anniversary single stage and moved over to the turret as soon as I could. You will also need to get a good Micrometer.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Look at turret presses!

You can use them as a single stage if you want but you cannot expand a single stage into a turret. You will most likely buy another press once you learn the basic steps starting with a single stage! It can serve you as a 'stand alone' station if you do go that route it won't be junk — my .02!

I'm loading LOTS of straight walled pistol AND 3 necked rifle cartridges (7 calibers in all) on a Lee 4 head turret and doing just fine with it! Cost effective, fast enough (part of that is YOU) - in touch with each part of the process.
Let me echo this sentiment! Get a Lee Turret kit, dies for what you shoot, a book or two/three to read first and buy plated bullets for plinking.

You may later acquire a single stage if you intend to load large caliber rifle ammo, but for pistol calibers, 5.56 and 7.62 the Turret press will do it all. 350.00 approx should get you all that you need for a Turret press, Safety Prime for on the press and a Perfect Powder measure and a couple of die sets. The kits mostly include a beam balance scale..don't forget a Riser to get the powder measure up high enough to clear the primer setup...it's a secret that they don't always talk about but they are getting better about it. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts