Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Pawn Shop has a Turkish Mauser - a 1953, I think. It's not in the absolute best condition, but not atrocious either. The wood is a bit beat up and the metal is somewhat pitted. The bore is good, but somewhat dark too. They want $200 for it. I was snooping around and discovered that a) J&G Sales is completely out of MilSup rifles. b) Gunbroker doesn't have that many Turkish Mausers at all (they used to be abundant, like Mosins)

So my questions are - is that a good price? What is the collector value on a Turkish Mauser? Any info would be welcome.

Also, I wasn't a big bolt-action guy until I got my enfield...now they've grown on me...

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
Considering how the prices of Mosin-Nagants has risen, $200 for a decent Mauser is not a bad price.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Man, I'd be all over that one! Most Mausers are running $200-$300 minimum, in shootable condition. If you get it and for some reason aren't happy with it, you oughta' be able to get your money back but at that price, it'd prob'ly almost be worth keepin' just for a wall hanger.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The one I had was also a great shooter and could hit the 200 yard gong all day 4 out of 5 shots. Buy it.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the Buys have it! I'll post pics later ---now watch, they will have sold it now!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
Have you bought it yet? Why not?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They just opened and I don't have a lunch break yet :(

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The Turks will never be a great collector piece unless they are "unissued", same for most of the various 98's. That said, a dark bore is not a detriment as long as the rifling is strong. I have a 1937 VZ24 that is about like your description of the Turk. It shoots very well, with jacketed or cast bullets, maybe a little better with the cast.
I would not let mine go for less than 300, I paid $59.95 for it 20 years ago.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Sounds like the Buys have it! I'll post pics later ---now watch, they will have sold it now!
Good call, I'm another buy. I love the Mauser action!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My main concern is that they are starting to become rare which they weren't just a couple of years ago. When I stumbled across my Mosin Nagant (in the same Pawn Shop) it was blind luck. I'd wanted one, and could find them everywhere - Gunbroker, J&GSales, CheaperthanDirt, gun shows - and they were going for around $120 (a few years back - before I made it across the pond, they were about half that) ; now nearly no one has them and the few on GunBroker that haven't been sporterized (you used to get 20+ pages under Mosin) are generally either priced at $200+ or have a reserve of over that. Same with Enfields.

The majority of the Mausers on GB are real classics and really expensive, but even the Turkish Mausers that are original are few and far between (currently 3 on GB)

It'll most likely never be a $1k collectors piece, but it will probably still increase in value over the next few years.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I checked ArmsList for the entire U.S. and found 3 for sale. $200 to $300.
Grab it!
In fact, I found one in Charleston, SC, and he'll trade for a 12 Ga. shotgun.
Hmmmmmmm. I wonder?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I want a turkey sandwich :) On a serious note, I suggest you pick it up if you want it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I emailed the person through ArmsList.
I can always buy another shotgun later.
No reply yet.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a 1940 receiver. The SN's don't match, but got it for $150:

20150310_165345.jpg

20150310_165410.jpg

20150310_165352.jpg

20150310_165357.jpg

I'll bring her home tomorrow - didn't have time for the 4473.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
From what I read, the bolt serial will not match the rest of the numbers 99% of the time.
It seems the rifles were stored in pieces, not intact. The bolt separate from the rifle.

Get you a C&R FFL03, $30 for 3 years. No 4473 needed, just a transfer to your bound book.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What classifies as C&R? Age limit?

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Generally over 50 years old, or as listed in the ATF C&R List.
The Turkish Mausers are not listed as C&R in the ATF list, but they are.
Pre-1945 German Mausers are listed, but not Turkish.

http://www.turkmauser.com/1938/
I think this what you bought.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Not a bad price, I've got the 1936 i gave $200 for mine 25 years ago but it was in very good condition but value has risen on that rifle. I was offered $500 for mine last year but turned it down i just didn't want to sell it.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
At $200, I'd be all over it if the bore looked good to fair and the action was solid- and I ain't really fond of Mausers.

Ain't nothin' wrong with the Turkish Mausers. It's a military Mauser. Kinda hard to screw one up. Wear it out, maybe but really hard to screw up. One of my uncles was career Air Force and hunted with one for years up in Alaska. He took a caribou with his that was a state record that stood for several years back in the '70's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts