Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about purchasing a rimfire gun - some kind of longarm in .17 HMR. What's the point in a .22 rifle anyway? At 100 yards, the drop is pretty severe due to the low power of the gun. I contend that .22 LR is only good for pistols that you won't shoot farther than about 25 yards.

That, and the fact that .22 LR is much more expensive than my 9mm handloads.

And 5,000 times rarer.

Considering the Marlin, the Savage, and the Ruger American. Would also consider the CZ and Mossberg, if they're available - and any other rifle you think might be a good purchase.

Lemmie know your thoughts.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
At the local gun shop the 17HMR are selling 3 to 1. More ammo available..

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Casually looking for either a 17hmr or 22wmr rifle myself.
Since you reload, though, doesn't the idea of rimfire rounds look unattractive?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
There is some 17HMR on the shelves here, not a whole lot more. I have kicked around the idea of a 17 HMR for some coyote hunting.

Anyone looked at the new 17 WSM?

Reactions: Aberdog1

·
Registered
24,615 Posts
I have four CZ 452s in various configurations and two of them are 17 HMRs. I can shoot the staples out of my targets at 50 yards with them and they are very deadly at 100 yards as well.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question.

Not necessarily. 50 rounds is like $10. That's about .20 a round, for a much better round than .22, and about the cost of the bullet and powder in one .223 round - not the brass or the primer. Plus, it's a boltie, so you won't be poppin' the rounds off like they were going out of style.

·
Super Moderator
21,544 Posts
The guy across the street has about 3 of them and loves them. He says they are dead on tack drivers. I have not had a chance to shoot one yet but it sounds like a great round and gun to have.

·
Registered
31,910 Posts
The .22 magnum ammo is really a unicorn and seems to be pretty unobtainable. I see a lot of 17 HMR ammo, even at Walmart.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Check out the balistics on that 17HMR. With the cost of .22lr and the rarity of it. I am starting to look at a .17HMR Myself.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
What's the point in a .22 rifle anyway? At 100 yards, the drop is pretty severe due to the low power of the gun. I contend that .22 LR is only good for pistols that you won't shoot farther than about 25 yards.

If the .22 did not exist it would have to be invented. I kill ground hogs regularly out to 105 yards (rangefinder measured). .22 bullet drop is between 1/2 and 1 1/2" at 100 yards (my 10/22 is zeroed at 75 yards).
I had about 300 rounds of .22 ammo at the time of Sandy Hook. I now have over 1100. I've never paid over 5 cents per round for any of it. You just have to be disciplined and patient.

I would not trade any of my .22s for a .17.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have both. The .17 HMR is a tack driver as long as no wind. I bought the Marlin, I liked it better and has a longer barrel.
Marlin 917vtr 17hmr.jpg

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
So I'm thinking about purchasing a rimfire gun - some kind of longarm in .17 HMR. What's the point in a .22 rifle anyway? At 100 yards, the drop is pretty severe due to the low power of the gun. I contend that .22 LR is only good for pistols that you won't shoot farther than about 25 yards.

And 5,000 times rarer.

Considering the Marlin, the Savage, and the Ruger American. Would also consider the CZ and Mossberg, if they're available - and any other rifle you think might be a good purchase.

Lemmie know your thoughts.
What is your intended use for the .17 long gun? Critter hunting, paper hole punching, plinking or just cause? You made mention of 9mm being less expensive than .22lr if you could even find some. This was part of the reason I picked up a HiPoint 9mm carbine, fun to shoot and can be done on a budget.

I keep hearing stories about more and more .22lr in the market place, I have yet to see any. Well, that's not true I guess. I did come across some in a Ace Hardware Store in West, TX the other day. However, I am still dealing with a brain fart when it comes to paying .10 a round for .22lr ammo. But, I do see the day when .22lr will be easier to come by. What I don't see is the prices ever dropping down to where it once was.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I have a 17 HMR and a few 22 LR in long guns.
The17 is simply a tack driving machine, especially from a bench and on a still, calm day.
The 22s are accurate as well but will not shot with the 17.
Now I have the Savage in a model 93R17 thats kind of fancy and its a sweetheart to fire and I could not honestly suggest any other weapon in the 17 HMR caliber myself.
Its got a bullet drop comp scope on it that is dead on if you use the correct bullet weight for the right turrets.
This is the only time I have really stretched the Savage out and from a prone /bagged rest at known distances.
hope this helps a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Any one have a 17 Win Super Mag?? I picked up a couple of 50 rd. boxes by accident for my .17HMR Tracker. I'm either going to have to get rid of the Super Mags or buy a new Savage rifle. LOL

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Any one have a 17 Win Super Mag?? I picked up a couple of 50 rd. boxes by accident for my .17HMR Tracker. I'm either going to have to get rid of the Super Mags or buy a new Savage rifle. LOL
So which model Savage are you getting???---------------:D

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have been more than pleased with my Marlin 17HMR.The round doesn't like wind but 200 yards can be done on a still day.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I bought and built several in both handgun and rifle. Like the 17 HMR because of accuracy. Did not like the 17 wsm because of lack of accuracy in several rifles. Believe it is more of an ammo problem than gun. Chrony velocities were extremely spread out between lots and within some boxes of ammo. A custom Contender barrel rechambered to 17 AH went from 1 1/2-2" groups as a 17wsm to 1/2" -5/8" at 100 yards as a 17 AH. The 17 HMR ammo here was $17 for 50 rounds a month or so back. Have not found any at the local Walmart in the past few years. It gets gone quick. Barrels longer than 18" have less muzzle blast but velocities top out around 17" to 19". Bullberry has a chart on barrel length/velocity on their web site. For the reloader the 17 hornet is hard to beat and Savage has a nice one that is reasonable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a SAVAGE 93R17 BVSS ( stainless bull barrel). It is a great shooter. I still think .22 LR will come back like everything else is doing - the " shortage" is persisting because .22 is cheaper, easier to hoard, & people continue to buy even when they don't need it. As it becomes more available, the panic buying will decrease as it is doing with everything else. Don't give up on .22, but the .17 HMR is a fun round.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts