Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my age and in my ill health, I shouldn't be doing that, I guess, but if I don't do it, it won't get done. It's just the heat index was 110+ last couple of days. I worked on my ATV's winch the other day. A cat or perhaps raccoon stood on the switch and paid out the cable, then it got tangled and it fried the relay. :mad: Wife's been begging me not to thin out the barn cats. Anywho, I got a new relay in it to the tune of 50 bucks and straightened out the spool. Now, THAT job wasn't that bad. I just got done putting in a aeration pump on my septic system. I didn't wire it in, couldn't figure out the box. It had a plug on it and there's a plug nearby, so I used an extension cord. But, in doing all that out in the heat, I kinda over extended myself. I think it was mostly the heat that got to me. Thank GOD summer is almost over.

I had to get all this done before I leave for Waco to shoot birds Saturday. It's supposed to cool off a little this weekend and I have my trusty Labrador to shag birds for me. :D

I can tell ya, when you're young and healthy, you take things for granted. At this point, I half expect to collapse and croak in the heat perhaps sooner than later. :(

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Maybe you need to back off a bit... You won't be any good to anyone if your laid up or worse... Plus We would miss your contributions to the forum!!

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Knock it off and slow down some!.........................:)

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeez, I had THOUGHT that if I slowed down anymore, I'd be backing up. :rofl: I'm just hoping I'll feel a little more peppy when that first decent fall cool front gets here. I'm afeared that's going to be another month at least.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Listen to your body and your wife (assuming she's telling you to slow down--if she's telling you to do more, I'd keep the guns locked up around her). Oh yeah, listen to your fellow posters above, too!
Well, I ain't suicidal. I never taught her to shoot. :rofl:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Yep, know that feeling. Last week I thought I was twenty years younger and loaded a 8 ft hog trap into the bed of my truck by myself. Not kidding, it took three days to stop hurting from that foolishness.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I just mentioned this to someone the other day. It's been pushing a hundred degrees almost all summer here. I even hired some young lads to do some outside work at the animal shelter because I couldn't. As it was the time it took me to point out and go over what needed doing was all I could handle! I was feeling very frustrated about my age catching up to me. This past weekend it dropped like a rock to a cloudy 75 degrees. I started doing some outside work and went for hours without fatigue. Happily it turns out I'm not that old yet...it was just too freakin' hot!!!

·
8,535 Posts
Well Texan there comes a time in every old farts life, when waking up in the morning changes nothing. Still the same ails and weakness. I had to realize I ain't gonna get much better, so gotta adapt. Lost 130 lbs , starting eating healthier, more fluids - less coffee. Moved to the slow life in the country. Of course now the chore list is moving to infinity. All that to keep from getting worse. Geez its been over 10 years since I woke up feeling invigorated. Unless I am shooting or working on gun stuff I pretty much act my age.:) So slow down a wee bit when the temps are reaching the place down below. Drink more fluids ( I think dr's must all have stock in drink companies). Then when you just gotta perform, there is always Redbull or a Starbucks double shot!!!

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Just remember, we are not old.
Wait.............
Yes we are.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
At my age and in my ill health, I shouldn't be doing that, I guess, but if I don't do it, it won't get done. It's just the heat index was 110+ last couple of days. I worked on my ATV's winch the other day. A cat or perhaps raccoon stood on the switch and paid out the cable, then it got tangled and it fried the relay. :mad: Wife's been begging me not to thin out the barn cats. Anywho, I got a new relay in it to the tune of 50 bucks and straightened out the spool. Now, THAT job wasn't that bad. I just got done putting in a aeration pump on my septic system. I didn't wire it in, couldn't figure out the box. It had a plug on it and there's a plug nearby, so I used an extension cord. But, in doing all that out in the heat, I kinda over extended myself. I think it was mostly the heat that got to me. Thank GOD summer is almost over.

I had to get all this done before I leave for Waco to shoot birds Saturday. It's supposed to cool off a little this weekend and I have my trusty Labrador to shag birds for me. :D

I can tell ya, when you're young and healthy, you take things for granted. At this point, I half expect to collapse and croak in the heat perhaps sooner than later. :(
Getting old ain't for wimps.
I have been building a chicken coop. A few hours in the morning, a shower and a nap. Then maybe an hour or two before dark. A day for rest if i over do it.
I know why old men use to say youth is wasted on the young.
I go see my cardio guy tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Five years ago I spend exactly 6 month and 2 days in hospital being treated for Leukaemia. Four courses of serious chemotherapy later I'm in full remission and have my life back. The consultant that treated me was very straight with me and told me that if they hadn't found it when they did (in October '15 and quite by accident, I was having a blood test for something else) I wouldn't have seen March '16..!!

Now all is good with the bloods, that nasty disease has gone away. What doesn't go away is a little know malady called Chemo Fatigue. And I have it BIG time. I call it the Martini Disease, you know, Any Time, Any Place, Anywhere..!! It's akin to running full pelt into a brick wall.. you jus come to a very abrupt stop, you physically can't take the next step, you feel like your body is in total shutdown. It's a bastard. But, I guess it's a guy thing, I try to push through it, try to get on. And all the while my wife of some 38 years is telling me to stop, quit, sit down, rest, have a nap, make some tea..

She's right, of course. But the problem is defining the difference between knowledge and wisdom which, they say can be summed up like this...

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad..

Time for tea I think..

·
22,299 Posts
Sheesh, I've got a challenging day ahead of me today, and this thread isn't pumping me up for it! Oh well, coffee to the rescue!

Hope you feel better and have a great hunt NT!

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
I had forgot that Dove Season is right around the corner, guess that explains the rain yesterday and in the forecast. Good Luck on the hunt. Don't forget to plug it and lug it, because as always when it comes to Texas wildlife, game, and fishing "The eyes of Texas are upon you".

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yep you better take it easy , don't need to end up in the hospital or worse ! Good luck on the hunt , post picts if you can .

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had forgot that Dove Season is right around the corner, guess that explains the rain yesterday and in the forecast. Good Luck on the hunt. Don't forget to plug it and lug it, because as always when it comes to Texas wildlife, game, and fishing "The eyes of Texas are upon you".

No need for plugs. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
IN the past I was taking a medication that would do close to what you experienced.

Be going along full steam, then hit a wall. Sometimes done for the day, other times a few hours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts