Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It had been awhile since I had taken the time to do this. I had be come so focused on guns that my collecting was getting most of my time.

However, yesterday I completed my renewal course for my TX CHL which meant I went to the indoor range earlier in the week for a little practice and to become familar with the range again. I had a good time blowing paper and cardboard into dust, hated the idea that paid to shoot when I have plenty of land to shoot on (but it is a hour away). So yesterday was range proficency test, limited to 50 rounds. Now today I found myself wishing that the range was open, I had this strong desire to go blow some more paper up. I think I have become hooked on the convience factor of indoor shooting.

This could however become more expensive than that of buying guns. If you tire of a gun, you can sell it, once you shoot the ammo it's gone. I may need to look into the world of reloading. But then I hear those supplies are in short also?

Anyway, for those of you, who like me. That have become so caught up in the aquistion of new fire arms, STOP and take the time to do some range time. It really is the fun part of the Firearm collecting hobby.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I always like to at least drag all my guns out once a year. Keeps them from feeling neglected

Reactions: Steyr and jonrjen

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other day when I went to the range I had this great idea...load some extra magazines at home before I head out. Seemed like a great idea at the time. See the range charges a flat fee. Doesn't matter if you stay 5 minutes or 5 hours...one flat. So I load ten magazines for the Glock 9mm. Each magazine holds I believe it is 16 or 17 rounds. Then I take a few extra boxes of ammo and the quick loader. A couple of boxes of .45 to feed the Sig 1911 commander.

Did you know that pre-loading that many rounds into magazines you can go thru a whole bunch of ammo in almost no time. I only had 4 magazines for the Sig which only hold 7 rounds each, so I seemed that I was always having to stop and reload magazines. Which got old, go I kept loading the Glock mags and feeding that sucker mag after mag after mag. It had an appetite that just couldn't be satisfied, before I knew it I was with out any 9mm left to feed it. So I loaded up the Glock and Sig along with my remaining box of .45acp ammo and left. It didn't take long to shoot it all up.

May have to slow down the next time, I'm down to my last 10K rounds of 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
The other day when I went to the range I had this great idea...load some extra magazines at home before I head out. Seemed like a great idea at the time. See the range charges a flat fee. Doesn't matter if you stay 5 minutes or 5 hours...one flat. So I load ten magazines for the Glock 9mm. Each magazine holds I believe it is 16 or 17 rounds. Then I take a few extra boxes of ammo and the quick loader. A couple of boxes of .45 to feed the Sig 1911 commander.

Did you know that pre-loading that many rounds into magazines you can go thru a whole bunch of ammo in almost no time. I only had 4 magazines for the Sig which only hold 7 rounds each, so I seemed that I was always having to stop and reload magazines. Which got old, go I kept loading the Glock mags and feeding that sucker mag after mag after mag. It had an appetite that just couldn't be satisfied, before I knew it I was with out any 9mm left to feed it. So I loaded up the Glock and Sig along with my remaining box of .45acp ammo and left. It didn't take long to shoot it all up.

May have to slow down the next time, I'm down to my last 10K rounds of 9mm.
I load 5 at a time. Then I stop and pick up the brass. Then I load 5. Pick up brass.....rinse...repeat...

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Reloading is very relaxing and yet exhillerating at the same time. Too bad all the primers are being stashed in a cave somewhere out in the New Mexico dessert along with the radioactive waste.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
WOW!! I've been shooting since 1958, and I doubt I've hit the 5,000 mark yet. My shooting has always been either hunting or ranch work, so range time was restricted to qualification sessions.
That only works out to a little over 400 rounds a month. I live on the Gulf Coast where it stays warm enough to shoot year-round, though once a month in the winter is normal since it does actually get cold once in a while. But in the summer I often go three times a month. I tend to shoot 200-250 rounds per trip, including some .22s. Although at this point I'm in better shape with centerfire ammo than I am with .22s. I'm not paying more for .22 than the .38/.380/9mm reloads cost me.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I can load and shoot two mags at a time. After an hour I gotta go home while I still walk.

Reactions: darbo and jonrjen

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Same here, it's an hour from the farm but I only go out during hunting season. The range near me however is $15 for unlimited range time so there's that, if I happen to have ammo.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
This is a news flash...... Any hobby can get expensive in a short time... Ask my how I know......

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
It had been awhile since I had taken the time to do this. I had be come so focused on guns that my collecting was getting most of my time.

Anyway, for those of you, who like me. That have become so caught up in the aquistion of new fire arms, STOP and take the time to do some range time. It really is the fun part of the Firearm collecting hobby.
Sounds like good advice. I've bought a couple new guns again in the last few weeks. One is being shipped as we speak.

The guy at Walmart said that people were having a hard time finding enough ammo to even qualify for their CCW permit. Our state requires that 130 rounds (as I recall) need to be fired during training. That seems like a lot. Your state's requirement of 50 seems much more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I am always looking to pick up brass for all the calibers I shoot......lately I have been finding more .40 S&W and .45 over 9mm which also works for me.....But I know If I am going to shoot for a long time I start up with some .22 or .22mag spend a length of time with these..... And when I step up to the heavier calibers sometimes I don`t shoot extensively with these I get to save some ammo.....SOMETIMES not always depends on how good I feel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts