Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.rugbytoday.co.uk/news/Burglary-victim-told-not-to.3608104.jp

Burglary victim told not to put up security 'in case it injures criminals'

A CHURCH Lawford woman recovering from a multi-thousand pound raid claims she was refused permission by police to install tighter security measures - in case it injured returning thieves.

As reported last week, the woman had antiques and personal items worth 'thousands' stolen from her home last month while she tended to her cancer-ridden brother.

Rugby Police investigated and gave the woman a crime-fighting manual advising on upgrading security.

However, when she enquired about installing a new security fence at her home, she was informed occupier liability rules meant she risked investigation herself if trespassers hurt themselves climbing over it.

The woman, who has asked to remain anonymous, said: "If I have got to live behind locked doors for the rest of my life, I hope the rest of my life isn't very long. But why would I want my house safe for these people? It's crazy."

Offenders raided the woman's house after smashing through a security gate several feet high and breaking through windows.

As well as valuable antiques, they also took wedding rings belonging to the woman and her now deceased-parents.

Police investigated and gave the divorcee a copy of Warwickshire Police's 'Operation Impact' manual, giving victims information on crime-fighting techniques and activities.

The woman later asked if she could install a new gate, complete with barbed wire or carpet gripper, to prevent further thieves climbing over.
However, the guide says she could risk prosecution herself if the trespassers hurt themselves on the beefed-up gate.

She said: "I respect that if the postman or the gas man calls, they don't expect to hurt himself. But I was speechless - you couldn't make it up. I think these laws show we have gone soft in the head."

Police advised the woman to fit alarms and are continuing investigations.

Adequate home security advice for homeowners is available from Rugby Police Station in Newbold Road.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Oh there are plenty of cases in the US, where the BG has sued and won. What makes hers unique is the fact that they said she could not put the type of improvements she wanted in, because it might injure. Geeze.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Thats so crazy...
Glad We live in America..
Makes you appreciate our freedoms
Dumb things are done here too..but at least we have some options...
(well for right now anyways)...

Don't hurt the BG...Geeezzzee :)

·
15,931 Posts
Well see what the local Gov't says if you put up a chainlink fence with razor wire on the top!

We had guys who would grab the top of a fence in OHIO that we had and jump over to go thru our yard to get to a street. They lived in an apartment complex, and we were the first private homes.

Local LE said no way could we put barbed wire on the top of a 7 ft fence, that they were climbing. It was not code, and I could be fined.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Robby said:
Well see what the local Gov't says if you put up a chainlink fence with razor wire on the top!

We had guys who would grab the top of a fence in OHIO that we had and jump over to go thru our yard to get to a street. They lived in an apartment complex, and we were the first private homes.

Local LE said no way could we put barbed wire on the top of a 7 ft fence, that they were climbing. It was not code, and I could be fined.
Then find the code and a loophole. Had a friend with the same problem and found that he could make his fence a little lower and use C-Wire instead.

·
15,931 Posts
I moved to a farm in KY, instead. Now I can have Barbed wire all the way around if I want too. Got to keep the cattle and horses in.

But we built Kentucky 4 Board fence instead, and put electronic alarms on the gate area's. We have camera's going up, probably in the spring, so we can watch the gate area, and the interior of the barn to keep track on the horses.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
man.. the police would really crap bricks if they seen my security system.. some fishing string, and a single shot 12ga shotgun attached to the door.

nails hammered threw wood 2x4's burried in yard..

razor blades attached to the bottom of the window frame.

and of course my fav an old jurry rigged taser gun to electrify my bedroom door's dead bolt.

ok im joking.. but seriously the thefts well being is the last thing i care about.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Case in point... laws are not to help us, but to help others... example.

You can;t this and you can't that... but what does the Bible tell us (don't bash the scriptures are correct) ...Jer:10:23.. To earthing man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man even to direct his step!

And

Ecclesiastes 8:9... the end part of the vs. "man has dominated man unto his own injury"

In otherwords, the laws injure some at the cost of stupidity... I saw protect your selves as best we can...

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow....what in the world has gotten into these peoples heads??? well this isnt necessarily the option i would like to use but with things being like they currently are you can always use the option of identify the target and "loan them some lead"....at least you cant be sued that way, at least here in GA where as long as they are in your home and you believe they have intent to cause you or others inside harm you can shoot first and ask questions later....

but still....this is horrible...

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
I find my motion sensor lights ,4 dogs and my guns work just fine. motion sensor cameras are getting real reasonable in price. And can be found at Sam's. I saw one for around a $100 with 4 camera's that can record. Thats next on my list. The camera's were about the size of tennis balls. I thought that was a really good deal.

·
Registered
663 Posts
They would shit themselves if they seen my home security system. A hundred pound boxer mastiff mix and a closet full of guns. I seen a sign once that read "DEAR THIEVES, THERE AINT NOTHING IN THIS HOUSE WORTH YOUR LIFE" then it read again in spanish. I need to find that sign!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
If the chuckle heads we've put in Congress have their way we will be in the same situation before long. Personal and home security are great (and necessary) but the easiest way to keep the government from stealing your rights is to elect people that actually represent your interests! That should be the start of everyone's security program. If every American would take the time to learn who is running for office, what they stand for, and then actually vote, things might be a lot different than they are today. Protect your freedoms because once they are gone it's unlikely you will get them back any time soon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts