Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple days ago, I was taking my new trainee home.

To get where he lives ( across town in the opposite direction I need to go to get home :mad: ) , we have to drive through some lower quality neighborhoods.

And of course you know what I mean. But it's not like you cross a line from great to bad. It takes quite a few blocks and some progression from one to the other.
We weren't in the worst part yet, nor were we in the best. We were mid way or so.

So we are waiting to turn left at a red light when I see a guy walking down the sidewalk . He is a black man, dressed pretty nicely in a blue polo shirt, grey cargo pants, deck shoes, and is sporting dreadlocks.

Now, I know I can't describe him with justice, but I will try:

His dreads were pulled back in a pony tail ( if you call it that) and his beard was well trimmed. I don't think for a minute that he was from any of the islands, but he was well kept, dressed nicely and didn't act like a thug or appear to be threatening.

Well, as I was looking at him, my new trainee says that he can tell the man had a gun.

And he did. It was printing very well on his right side.

So my trainee starts with the whole dialog about how the man is probably some druggie, stolen gun, gonna rob somebody and goes off on how he probably gets welfare, doesn't have a job, etc....

And at one time, I might have thought that too. But as we get older, most of us get wiser.

So I had to turn to my new trainee ( who is just about to turn 30) and I ask him:

How do you happen to have all that knowledge about this guy?

I then say that this guy looks pretty damn clean and honest to me and since he has yet to give me any reason to think otherwise, I will treat him as I would expect people to treat me as a law abiding citizen.

The fact that he has a gun could simply mean he is concerned for his own protection. The fact that it is printing can mean he just doesn't know, or is just bad at concealing.

And here's the thing: when you don't know for sure about somebody, you usually go with your gut feeling. I don't know how my guts get their info, but they are usually right - thus why I trust them.

Well, my guts said I had nothing to worry about with this guy.

So anyways, my whole point is this:

It got me to thinking. I have a few guns. A lot if you ask my wife. I open carry here or there, I conceal carry here or there.

It's my right to do so until I show that I no longer deserve that right.

The US Constitution gives me that right.

But it's not my Constitution, It belongs to everybody, including that man walking down the sidewalk.

Just because he is of a different color is not any reason to suddenly suspect him of wrong doing. Just because he lives in an area that is not to my standards means nothing.
Truth be told, he may spend more money to live where he does than I do because a house on a tiny lot in the city probably cost much, much more than my home on 3 acres in the country does. He probably pays higher taxes, higher utilities, higher insurance.

And somehow, we think he shouldn't afford the same right to protect himself or his family when the need arises?

Okay, a little long winded for sure, but it all comes down to this: This man has the same rights to protect himself as I do. Why should I ( or we ) ever think otherwise?

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
You are correct sir.

·
22,034 Posts
Well said!

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
soutfish- I am proud to call you friend!

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
Well stated. There is a kind of spiritual connection/awareness between people that we call a "gut feeling." I became aware of this one time while standing at the top of a remote mountain pass in Alaska. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I looked down over several valleys, beyond which were more untamed mountain ranges that extended beyond the horizon, and instinctively I knew that there was not one single human being in that whole expanse over which I looked. It was totally empty and devoid of human life. It was that "gut feeling" you describe, making itself manifest in the total absence of other persons. Trust your gut, it works.

·
Registered
14,638 Posts
As it was, I'd say your gut feeling was correct and the fact that your trainee's was wrong is because gut feelings often require experience of life to know good from bad. In time it may come to him but it sounds like he's carrying a lot of preconceived notions of how people who look a certain way must be a certain way.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Well said.

you can't judge a book by its cover!

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well said.

you can't judge a book by its cover!

Well, sometimes you can...if it's a PLayboy! :icon_ banana: <--------- Totally inappropriate smiley .

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Super Moderator
26,910 Posts
Being a furriner, I have always tried to live up to what my Father taught me. Yes when I was growing up we had maids, gardeners and chauffeurs. but I was not allowed to abuse them in ANY way shape or form. We had a maid but I still had to wash dishes. We had a gardener, but I still had to cut the grass.
MLK is often misquoted or underquoted:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

He was right!

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Maybe if those neighborhoods had more people like the (armed) guy walking down the street they would be safer. I grew up being thought of by some as "Poor white trash" but I learned to respect others, I got a education and worked hard and my kids don't even know what "Poor white trash" is

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
All fine and dandy.. till we see a Middle-Eastern looking guy perusing guns at the local Gander Mountain! Then it's panic time!

Edit: Not an attack or comment at the OP. Good post by the OP - that's the way it should be. #Freedom

Reactions: rifleshooter
1 - 20 of 27 Posts