Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well as some of you know, I've been looking at buying another firearm in either .22LR, .22WMR/Mag or .380ACP because of my wrist injury and post wrist surgery, it's not going to get any better in regards to mobility. So.. I have been making a list of firearms for the past weeks.

To note, this is "not" from my main list.. but this will help me choose from that list in the future if that makes sense.

I am really tempted to buy a S&W MP Compac, or a Ruger SR22... or maybe a revolver.,, and I'm still not rushing out on those.. just yet... because I really need to deciced if I want to go the "auto" route..

So I decided to buy a GSG Firefly to see how I do in regards to the over all feel of that the gun. I know, I 'll need to do some fluff and buff on that gun, but I think it's going to help me out all around. I like the looks of it. The cool thing.. is my Wife suggested that I get it, because of it's low price point and because of my wrist being able to handle .22LR.

The other thing that I like, is the import company is American Tactical, out of my state of South Carolina, they are about an hour and a half away from me.

I should be getting it next week. If you have this gun, I would like to hear from you.

·
Super Moderator
37,260 Posts
Cool present...cool wife! I probably would have bought one of those instead of the Ruger SR 22 but the Firefly is not permitted to be transferred by an FFL in ILLinois due to the "melt law". I did some research on them and they seem to be a lot like Taurus, in that if the one you get doesn't have issues immediately that it will shoot well for a long time. Warranty work is reported fast and being that they are in your backyard, should be even faster. Looking forward to your range report! I have read member's review of them here also.

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool present...cool wife! I probably would have bought one of those instead of the Ruger SR 22 but the Firefly is not permitted to be transferred by an FFL in ILLinois due to the "melt law". I did some research on them and they seem to be a lot like Taurus, in that if the one you get doesn't have issues immediately that it will shoot well for a long time. Warranty work is reported fast and being that they are in your backyard, should be even faster. Looking forward to your range report! I have read member's review of them here also.
Thanks for your comment.
The most reviews I have seen, is some people talk about that it does not like some standard velocity .22LR rounds, but more of the high velocity kind .22LR, like CCI Mini mags, and Aguila Super Extra. actually.. I got "a lot" of .22LR at the moment.. so I'll be able to see what rounds may work better with this gun than others.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have a Firefly I got it to use to train for my sig p229. It is 100% reliable with CCI mini mags and Blasers. standard velocity is a waste of time (in my gun) The trigger itself has a Flex (plastic trigger). Its a fun little gun and a good value Is it a M&P or a ruger in quality not in my opinion but its a good value

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Firefly I got it to use to train for my sig p229. It is 100% reliable with CCI mini mags and Blasers. standard velocity is a waste of time (in my gun) The trigger itself has a Flex (plastic trigger). Its a fun little gun and a good value Is it a M&P or a ruger in quality not in my opinion but its a good value
Thanks for your comment. I have a lot of .22LR ammo right now, especially high velocity. I have the feeling I'll have to smooth of the feed ramp a bit, but I'm used to doing small stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two other questions, did you do any polishing on the feed ramp? Also, when you use standard velocity ammo do you have issues when using that ammo with the "other" light weight recoil spring that comes with the gun?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There she is, wicked quick delivery I ordered in Thursday night, but the import company is in my state.
Cleaned and oiled ready to go.. she had a lot of "grease" on the cocking rail inside the slide.. but I got that all out and she is all ready.

Not touching the feed ramp yet as at the moment, she "seems to" cycle like a dream.. but we'll see how she does after we go to the range this upcoming weekend. It looks and feels like they did a good job on that ramp.

I'm only going to be shooting high velocity rounds with the pre-installed heavy guide rod spring, and I'll try the light spring for standard velocity the next time.
firefly.jpg

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looks cool, waiting for the range report.
Will do, it looks like a lot of guys try to fire standard velocity ammo not knowing about the the other recoil spring that comes with the gun is for standard velocity ammo, not the one installed. So when they try to shoot the standard velocity ammo, it does not have the power "kick" to cycle the slide and eject out the round because of the heavier recoil spring is pre-installed... so the gun jams.

I've researched the heck out of this gun. The other thing is a very heavy D.A. trigger.. not "too bad" for me two handed, and I can do it one handed off hand / weak handed better (I tried it with a snap cap)

And I'm still looking into another gun in the near future, maybe a S&W or Ruger.. but this one here is going to help me in regards to my hand being almost full size for the time being.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who are interested, I posted my "Range Report" in regards to the GSG Firefly in the "Other Handguns" part of the forum here.
It's an "AWESOME" gun!

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
did you notice the flex in the plastic trigger itself

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you notice the flex in the plastic trigger itself
Nope, I don't notice that at all with my gun. If there is any flex, it sure would be noticeable to me when firing double action as that is close to 12 lbs trigger pull.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Nope, I don't notice that at all with my gun. If there is any flex, it sure would be noticeable to me when firing double action as that is close to 12 lbs trigger pull.
that makes me wonder if I have a bad trigger

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that makes me wonder if I have a bad trigger
I hope not. I'm trying to get out to the range in a few days to do a test in regards to the Standard Velocity ammo using the short recoil spring that comes with the gun. I'll be posting a range report on that afterwards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts