Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first time the wife took out her 709 she admittadly held it wrong and it snake bit her left thumb. today she tried again. with out promting she corrected her hold. but ever time she fired the gun, and i mean every time, she found herself gettinf pinched by the trigger. just at the far back of the pull she would find the bottom edge of her finger pad being pinched between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. i'm sure this has happened to others out there with various guns, but i dont know what to tell her is the cause, or if there is a fix. it might just be the gun is not compatible with her hand. i bought it for her and so its not as though she found the gun that fits her great. she wants to trade for something else. before we run down to the store to take a loss, i want to know if there is a fix.

thanks ya'all
vincent

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Is she pulling the trigger w/ her inside of joint, or her finger pad? I'm dry firing now, and the only time I am getting pinched is by pulling the trigger w/ the inside of joint. Have her pull the trigger w/ her pad of finger.

As far as snake bitten, I still got the scars on my thumb from my 709... She's not alone....

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Is she pulling the trigger w/ her inside of joint, or her finger pad? I'm dry firing now, and the only time I am getting pinched is by pulling the trigger w/ the inside of joint. Have her pull the trigger w/ her pad of finger.
I agree with Whodog.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Her hold is still bad, her trigger finger must be slipping down the arc of the trigger on recoil is my guess. Get some snap caps for 9mm and have her sit there puliing the trigger with the middle pad of her finger. Even with my sausage fingers, i have no problem with being pinched by my 945 or my P64. It may be something as simple as the grip of her thumb isn't keeping the gun stable, so the recoil is forcing the gun up more than it should be.

Reactions: VINCENT

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shes definatly using the first diget pad. we went throught the entire motion at full speed, and slow speed. i handed her the weapon, i wathcer her pick it up. did everything to visualize her getting her grip and firing it. it was always the same. but if she used the very tip, or the second pad she did not get pinched, but she was also unable to fire smoothly because it was unnatural. she has very slender fingers. just as it fires/recoils the fleshy portion of her finger pad gets pinched under the trigger. i watched it happen and was unable to come up with a way for her to shoot comfortably, and yet not end up getting pinched. all i could guess was that due to either the extra long triger pull she is slipping low. or something about the dynamics of the trigger on trigger safty is causeing it.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
To me it sounds like her overall grip is too low, causing her trigger finger to be on the bottom half of the trigger. I know with nt 709, PT111, and 24/7 if my grip is low (should see a little fold of skin below the rear of the grip), my finger will either be too far in or too low on the trigger.

Now that is what I have seen, your problems could be different. My fingers are not thin, and my trigger finger has been mashed and scared years ago.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i should note, she is very very happy with her 738, and might not be totally open to something different. perhaps its more a psycosamatic issue then anything else??? i put the idea in her head this morning of perhaps the 905 (9mm revolver), or the new .380 revolvers. but in the end, if she just wants to stay with her 738, maybe i will just get the +1 mag extensions and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Yeah there really is not a long grip there, but if not tight up under the slide, the fingers can get too far down. I am glad she loves it, because I know I love my slim 709, and will hate to part with it, when MY WIFE takes it over. She wants a light small gun, and she like the PT111, so she will love the 709??

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I agree with Robby, she is probably gripping the pistol too low. But it could also be that her finger is not strong enough and is going lower for more leverage. If that is the case and you really want her to shoot that 709, I suggest you put some Bondo at the back on the trigger guard to close up that gap. Make sure it does not interfere with the trigger, only close the gap to prevent her getting pinched. Sand it down smooth and blend it in with the rest of the trigger guard and then paint it flat black (just the Bondo, not the whole frame). Or she can do excises to strengthen her fingers.

Now I am also assuming you have already removed any flash remaining inside the trigger guard, on the trigger and on the safety and generally smoothed those areas.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
greenwolf- i have not done any sanding , and i noticed that bit of mold flash when i was working with her. i will do that tonight. she did mention that she has problems pulling the triger in some positions. so its likly that she needs to have her finger at the bottom due to strength. wonder if there is a softer trigger spring available???

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Probably easier to just build up her finger strength with one of those stress relief squeezy things. Also, you can get a snap cap and have her do a lot of dry firing. It will smooth out the trigger as well as build up her finger strength. Maybe you should do a lot of dry firing too, just to smooth out the trigger, of course. I wouldn't mess with the trigger spring, except as a last resort.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
Just a little add on to this subject. I was talking to a friend who has a Ruger LC9, and his wife and he have the same problem with the trigger and the finger being pinched. I tried to pass on advice about grip, and trigger pull to him and maybe removing some molding on the trigger guard. So its not just Taurus??

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good to hear ROBBY. were gonna try that route first, but i have to say. i picked it, i bought it. if it doesnt fit her, it doesnt work. we all know the best gun for a person is the one that feels best in thier hand and fits them. so it may just be time for a trip to the gun store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts