Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first Urban Tactical Garden Ver 1.0 is completed.. as much as possible.. :D

My wife and I planted the tomato's, the seedlings needed to get into the soil. We bought tomato cages and stakes.
We bought 6 big bags of soil for vegetables pre-mixed, and put drain holes in the bottom of the bags, and opened the top (top side) and planted the tomato's in the first three bags. The other bags has carrot seeds, then lettuce seeds and the last one has spinach.

We are also getting another bag to grow red potatoes.. we have some sprouting "eyes" already, and going to cut them in 4th's and see if they will grow more.
The tomato's should be ok.. but the seeds in the other bags are dependent on the rain that we get.. the heavy rain may wash the seeds out.. we'll have to see. If that is the case with the rain, then we'll plant more potato's in those bags as the alternative plan. The potato's remind me of "bulbs".. so those should hunker down better in the soil.

My daughter planted 4 sunflowers, there are 4 of them spouted up.. so hopefully those will take root and grow.. I like eating sunflower seeds.. got to look into that more in regards to harvesting them.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Nana just finished cutting the seed tators for planting tomorrow evening. Let the games begin.. Garden is tilled and the fence is up.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nana just finished cutting the seed tators for planting tomorrow evening. Let the games begin.. Garden is tilled and the fence is up.
Awesome! I think it's pretty great to learn to grow food like this. A nice skill to have. I just read up on how to harvest sunflower seeds... seems pretty easy as long as you have a good crop. I want to try and grow a bunch following the inside of my backyard fence. :)

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The first Urban Tactical Garden Ver 1.0 is completed.. as much as possible.. :D

My wife and I planted the tomato's, the seedlings needed to get into the soil. We bought tomato cages and stakes.
We bought 6 big bags of soil for vegetables pre-mixed, and put drain holes in the bottom of the bags, and opened the top (top side) and planted the tomato's in the first three bags. The other bags has carrot seeds, then lettuce seeds and the last one has spinach.

We are also getting another bag to grow red potatoes.. we have some sprouting "eyes" already, and going to cut them in 4th's and see if they will grow more.
The tomato's should be ok.. but the seeds in the other bags are dependent on the rain that we get.. the heavy rain may wash the seeds out.. we'll have to see. If that is the case with the rain, then we'll plant more potato's in those bags as the alternative plan. The potato's remind me of "bulbs".. so those should hunker down better in the soil.

My daughter planted 4 sunflowers, there are 4 of them spouted up.. so hopefully those will take root and grow.. I like eating sunflower seeds.. got to look into that more in regards to harvesting them.
Am I understanding right, you planted directly in the bags? I guess if you feel the need to bug out you can take your garden with you? Pretty neat idea! I would like photos if you can please.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I understanding right, you planted directly in the bags? I guess if you feel the need to bug out you can take your garden with you? Pretty neat idea! I would like photos if you can please.
Yep.. people that we talked to said it's possible to grow these right into the bags. Bugging out and bring them was not our intent.. however.. it would be easy to pick them up at the start and move them. :)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
I have read in the past of planting directly into potting/soil garden/soil bags. No reason it shouldn't work and does give a portable garden. Sunflower is one of the easiest plants to grow. It just takes a lot of them to provide much nutrition.

I'm glad to see more folks learning various gardening skills. During WWII, most folks had what they called a victory garden in their back yards, which allowed more produce to be used for the war effort.

Vast areas around Deming New Mexico were put into bean production for the war effort. Gardening is a learned skill, and a valuable skill in the right times.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
31,749 Posts
Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A update. The tomato seedlings are growing really well, all of them have at least 4 flowers per plant... which is awesome. The carrots, 2 types of lettuce that we planted from seeds are also growing well. We did not plant any potatoes.. debating if we are going to try that.

The sunflowers are growing. but I see "holes" in the lower leaves and I can see little black "ants" on them. I'm wondering what kind of spray that I can make to keep the ants off... not sure on that... like soap spray?

Also, an unexpected thing happened. We have a compost "mound" that we made from using a small kitchen decomposition can that we bought. Well now there are 3 squash plants that are growing out of the mound like crazy..LOL. I know there are a lot of earthworms in the mound.. I guess that is a good thing. My camera is not that great.. but I'll try to take some pictures at some point.
I really enjoy having some sort of self sustaining food like this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts