Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the TA Hawthorne shoot I had the opportunity to shoot a Bond Arms Bullpup. Mechanically it felt like a .380; slide spring was light as was the recoil. Too bad, I thought, that it didn't come in a .45.

Looking through the Internet I find that the Bullpup's background started at Boberg. They marketed a 9mm pistol, the XR9. Bond sells it as the Bullpup. Boberg also sold a .45 version, the XR45. Bond hasn't produced this variation yet. And the only person I found who has heard of it says it will run about $6,000.00. A little steep for me. I am going to search the gun shows to see if I can find one in my range. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
While the Bond Arms Bullpup is an interesting design, I personally feel that a bullpup handgun is kind of pointless, especially when chambered in relatively low velocity cartridges that don't gain all that much from slightly longer barrels to begin with.
Bullpups make sense for rifles because they can be made to be shorter in overall length without having to sacrifice the velocity gains of longer barrels, but for a handgun, which is typically already fairly small to begin with unless it's a full-size duty pistol, you're not going to realistically be able to reduce the OAL to any meaningful degree, and whatever length you do manage to shave off most likely isn't going to be enough to make it any shorter than a pocket pistol, nor with the maybe 1½" of barrel length it has make a significant difference in performance over said pocket pistols, so where's the benefit?

No offense if you like bullpup pistols or intend to carry one yourself, far be it from me to criticize others for what they carry as if my own choices are necessarily optimal, they're just not for me.

·
23,195 Posts
The difference between a 20" barrel and a 22" barrel is not nearly as significant as the difference between a 2" barrel and a 3" barrel. Ballistics by the inch shows a 9mm 2" barrel generating 948 fps with a 115gr Federal load, and 1029 with a 3" barrel. For .45ACP, a 3" barrel was recorded as producing 789 fps, and a 4" barrel 838 fps. To me, those differences are significant.

In short, my view of the situation is the opposite of yours. I'd say the Boberg idea has merit, they just need to get the cost down.

Reactions: Rotorflyr

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
The difference between a 20" barrel and a 22" barrel is not nearly as significant as the difference between a 2" barrel and a 3" barrel. Ballistics by the inch shows a 9mm 2" barrel generating 948 fps with a 115gr Federal load, and 1029 with a 3" barrel. For .45ACP, a 3" barrel was recorded as producing 789 fps, and a 4" barrel 838 fps. To me, those differences are significant.

In short, my view of the situation is the opposite of yours. I'd say the Boberg idea has merit, they just need to get the cost down.
It may seem significant on paper when comparing the numbers side by side, but in terms of what those numbers actually equate to in ballistic performance isn't all that much. In other words, that 50-100 FPS doesn't actually increase the energy foot pounds or penetration depth to any meaningful degree.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
It may seem significant on paper when comparing the numbers side by side, but in terms of what those numbers actually equate to in ballistic performance isn't all that much. In other words, that 50-100 FPS doesn't actually increase the energy foot pounds or penetration depth to any meaningful degree.
well that MAY be true but it can and does many times improve or lessen the effect of the projectile and how it enlarges .
a perfect scenario of FPS = Efficency can be seen in the short barreled 380 using a modern hollow point.
there is a very narrow sweet spot where the projectile offers the best of both penetration and expansion.
to fast and you lose penetration, to slow and you lose expansion.
a 355 projectile that effectively opens to say 450-600 and has very sharp petals has a much, much better chance of hitting and injuring a organ or blood vessel than on that does not expand or not much.
its not all about energy in injuring a human being or animal with a hand gun.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Personally, I just stick with XTP bullets, as they seem to reliably penetrate and expand regardless of the barrel length.

Besides, in most cases a miss is still a miss, with the difference between a solid miss and a bullet grazing a vital organ most likely being equally inefficient when it comes to the goal of incapacitating an attacker, ergo I choose to rely more on shot placement than projectile expansion when it comes to stopping a threat.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Personally, I just stick with XTP bullets, as they seem to reliably penetrate and expand regardless of the barrel length.

Besides, in most cases a miss is still a miss, with the difference between a solid miss and a bullet grazing a vital organ most likely being equally inefficient when it comes to the goal of incapacitating an attacker, ergo I choose to rely more on shot placement than projectile expansion when it comes to stopping a threat.
ahh interesting-- the XTP VS the FTX is exactly the projectiles that I was speaking of.
and I strongly disagree with the idea that a grazing shot to an artery, vein or organ will be the same.
the sharp little edges that most modern hollow points exhibit with proper expansion is exactly what makes them much more effective.
a grazing shot by a FMJ or poorly expanded JHP will tend to slide by without much damage at all, such body parts are fairly tough, that's why scapels need to be super sharp for one reason.
anyway a sharp petal will and can induce blood loss where a slick dull object will not.
so a close miss with a properly expanded projectile I much better than a close miss with a slick round projectile.
most hunters of medium to large game animals or emt/ parametics can tell you just how tough the inner parts of a body are and how difficult to cut..

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
ahh interesting-- the XTP VS the FTX is exactly the projectiles that I was speaking of.
and I strongly disagree with the idea that a grazing shot to an artery, vein or organ will be the same.
the sharp little edges that most modern hollow points exhibit with proper expansion is exactly what makes them much more effective.
a grazing shot by a FMJ or poorly expanded JHP will tend to slide by without much damage at all, such body parts are fairly tough, that's why scapels need to be super sharp for one reason.
anyway a sharp petal will and can induce blood loss where a slick dull object will not.
so a close miss with a properly expanded projectile I much better than a close miss with a slick round projectile.
most hunters of medium to large game animals or emt/ parametics can tell you just how tough the inner parts of a body are and how difficult to cut..
I while slicing an artery is most certainly fatal, it doesn't result in immediate incapacitation unless it's maybe the jugular, and most definitely more than a little nick from the petal of an expanded .380 bullet. I'm not arguing that FMJs are equal to JHPs, merely that expansion doesn't dramatically increase the probability of hitting a vital, and that in most cases a miss from an FMJ = a miss from a JHP, or at best grazing blow which in most cases won't result in immediate incapacitation.
The real benefits of Jacketed Hallow Point bullets are larger diameter wound channels and mitigating the risk of collateral damage that may occur if the bullet passes through the intended target, the minor possibility of expansion scoring a critical hit which would have otherwise been a miss is a fringe benefit at best, especially when it comes to smaller caliber bullets such as .380 ACP.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
very few things except a hit to the CNS is immediate.
and it is quite amazing how much of that red liquid can spurt out of a small cut when the heart has it at 120-150 PSI.
one can bleed out quit fast actually, and IF you nick a lung then that really slows the entire life cycle process down dramatically.
blood loss as well as energy to the body can and will bring on shock pretty quickly.

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
Meh, I'll keep my PT145. Taurus ain't getting it back. :D

Reactions: MOONDAWG

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
I like the new FTX. Its nose profile (ogive) is more conducive to smooth feeding. That's WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more important than any expansion IMHO. It happens to be accurate, too, and will no doubt expand. Even if it don't expand, it's a .45 and it will not shrink. :D

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I was hanging out in the LGS today (one of them, anyway, not the one I work at) and ran across the Bond Arms Bullpup 9mm. It's in credit card jail right now, I didn't have cash on me and their system was down. Will post a range report when I get an opportunity. Initial observations are that it is overly thick and overly heavy, but it is still cool. Yes, my inner child shouted when I saw it. I'm a sucker.

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
I was hanging out in the LGS today (one of them, anyway, not the one I work at) and ran across the Bond Arms Bullpup 9mm. It's in credit card jail right now, I didn't have cash on me and their system was down. Will post a range report when I get an opportunity. Initial observations are that it is overly thick and overly heavy, but it is still cool. Yes, my inner child shouted when I saw it. I'm a sucker.
Thick I can handle. Heavy, not so much.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I have already posted a review of this gun as well as remarks have been posted by other members who are able to shoot the gun at the Florida meet. I would also like to state that in my opinion the gun is not heavy. It weighs about 17 Oz and for an all steel gun with no plastic I find that more than reasonable.

I am planning on doing an update post on my Bullpup now that I have owned it and shot it for a while. I'll try to get that posted today or tomorrow

Don

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think I will just stick to traditional pistol set ups. New stuff has problems. I don't want new problems when my life hangs in the balance.

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
Yes, traditional is good. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

If I stumble across one in a shop, my inner child is going to have to be drug from the store kicking and screaming in the biggest temper tantrum ever, or it's coming home with me....not sure which :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts