Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loading up the 1000# of gunz and ammo for the WI shoot last week once again had me thinking about gear and weight. Now carrying my own weight only at my age I am probably good for 5 miles per day, given 12 hours to get it done ;). This would increase as muscle built up and weight (mine) went down, but it still begs the question of what guns and ammo could/should be brought. It rules out a shotgun, carbine, and two or more types of handguns, etc. with all of the attendant rounds to feed them. Yes you might be on wheels initially, but we are talking about after those break down, gas runs out, roads jammed, etc. Yes motorcycles could be argued, but for this exercise we are talking about human power.

Your choice is only one long gun and one handgun (if you even think a handgun is necessary)

What do you bring and why?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Handgun wise I would say a Glock 17 as they are everywhere, parts would be common. Long gun would be a AR based 9mm carbine that utilized Glock mags and modified to 3 shot bursts or run full auto. Weight of the Glock is about 2 pounds and the AR9 about 6 pounds. 9mm ball ammo runs 32 pounds per 1000. So the Arms (8 pounds) and 300 rounds Ammo in 6x33 and 6x17 round mags for carry (9.6 pounds) would make for a carry load of 18 pounds. Not a lot, BUT it would tend to wear on you after a few miles..

·
Registered
17,133 Posts
I have a shotgun and a rather large assortment of pistols in the safe.
Bug out?
I ain't going anywhere.
I'm good for around 100 yards in a straight line and then I'm done.
Let the younger folks play Rambo and conquer the world.
I'm defending my home.
I am too old, too tired, too cranky and I'm staying where I am.
I have my wife, food, water, 87 billion rounds of ammo and a nice bed.
I find that much preferable to being trapped who knows where tired and lost
surrounded by 10,000 other tired and lost and scared frantic people.
And before someone says 'What if it's an EMP or a nuclear attack or riots or or or or............
Then I'll die.
There are better things than living in a world that's turned in to a cesspool.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
My answer to the question in the spirit it was asked is-

Remington 870 20 ga. and a Sig P320 9 mm. (I assume the weapons of choice need to come out of one's current arsenal...). The 870 is a youth model and I would bring it on bug out for the same reason I bought it for home defense- Plenty of firepower in a package my wife could handle if it became necessary. The Sig for the magazine capacity and the availability of 9 mm ammo. ("If need it, there'll be plenty of it lie'n on the ground". SGM Plumbly- 'We Were Soldiers' )

In actuality, I would probably end up carrying 40 lbs. of dog food for the Spaniels, and maybe a liter of Knob Creek...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Loading up the 1000# of gunz and ammo for the WI shoot last week once again had me thinking about gear and weight. Now carrying my own weight only at my age I am probably good for 5 miles per day, given 12 hours to get it done ;). This would increase as muscle built up and weight (mine) went down, but it still begs the question of what guns and ammo could/should be brought. It rules out a shotgun, carbine, and two or more types of handguns, etc. with all of the attendant rounds to feed them. Yes you might be on wheels initially, but we are talking about after those break down, gas runs out, roads jammed, etc. Yes motorcycles could be argued, but for this exercise we are talking about human power.

Your choice is only one long gun and one handgun (if you even think a handgun is necessary)

What do you bring and why?

No plans to Bug Out but most "experts" will say a good .22 long gun is the way to go. Alternatively they will also say an AR or shot gun.

The same "experts" would also say to take a Glock 17 9mm due to ammunition availability and parts. I would take my Taurus 627 over a Glock.

Reactions: darbo and Czechbikr

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
Commonality of magazines and ammo would be wise. I agree with Bobbojama's choices. Extended 32 round mags will fit the Glock 17 if needed and the 17 round Glock 17 mags will fit the AR9. Personally I'm not bugging out. I'll stay where I have plenty of food, water, guns and ammo and if some sort of attack occurred I would attempt to take as many as I can with me. If traveling is a must, a bicycle might be a thought.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,108 Posts
Bug Out???

Nope Nope Nope

D I P

No reason to die tired

9mm and 5.56 have the most on-hand components

·
Administrator
40,089 Posts
Prolly my 357 revolver and 357 Henry lever.
Yep. I was going to say a six inch .357 revolver and a .357 lever gun. Good for defense, but most of all, putting food on the table. Lots of versatility.

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Commonality of magazines and ammo would be wise. I agree with Bobbojama's choices. Extended 32 round mags will fit the Glock 17 if needed and the 17 round Glock 17 mags will fit the AR9. Personally I'm not bugging out. I'll stay where I have plenty of food, water, guns and ammo and if some sort of attack occurred I would attempt to take as many as I can with me. If traveling is a must, a bicycle might be a thought.
The bicycle increases the amount of weight which could be carried and also the range one could travel in a day...after conditioning.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I pretty much agree with the idea of commonality of mags and ammo. I don't have Glock stuff but I do have Beretta pistols and PCC that shares magazines, 17 and 20 rounds. Of course the Beretta isn't nearly as popular as the Glock stuff but it's what I have, it'll have to do. I really don't like not being able to take a AR15 with me though!

Having said that, I will do my best to stay where I am.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Would say my AR in 5.56 and my Para ordnance 1911 P-13 45acp. If Military adopted the AR in 5.56 for our troops for combat that's good enough for me. P-13 holds 13 rounds of 45acp. Would also have my Germen ASEK with me .

·
Registered
526 Posts
The most common firearm in the whole wide world is the Kalashnikov. But it's heavy. I'd go with a 22LR. Revolver, single action. The 22LR is better than a rock. If bugging out out means fleeing your "castle,'' weight is of utmost importance. A pocket full of 22LR might just get old guys to where they need to go. If you're a strong young man go with 7.62x39.

·
Super Moderator
13,899 Posts
Handgun: Glock 23. It's what I got, legendary reliability, parts everywhere.

Long gun: Savage Mk. II bolt action 22 LR. It's got a good scope and is sighted so that out to 100 yards, the bullets are going to go where the crosshairs are aiming. Ditto with the iron sights. The factory trigger is the best I've ever pulled, on any rifle. Lightweight rifle and ammo.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
A friend of mine's dad has a mountain bike with a trailer for this very event. Trailer is chocked full of loaded 5.56 AR mags.
No, I'm not kidding.
Someone will be glad he delivered all those loaded mags to them.

·
Premium Member
13,315 Posts
The most common firearm in the whole wide world is the Kalashnikov. But it's heavy. I'd go with a 22LR. Revolver, single action. The 22LR is better than a rock. If bugging out out means fleeing your "castle,'' weight is of utmost importance. A pocket full of 22LR might just get old guys to where they need to go. If you're a strong young man go with 7.62x39.
For ultra lightweight it's hard to argue with a .22lr. A 10/22 and a good .22 revolver might be the light weight champs especially when it comes to carrying ammo.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I'll stay put for as long as I can. .22 with a suppressor will go far.

I've the choice of 9mm for pistol and carbine So G19 and AR-9 both use the same magazines. Also I've got the .357 in several flavors as well as a Rossi 92. Then .45 Colt is also a choice with the Super Redhawk and Marlin 1894 Cowboy.

I stock more 9mm, and .38/.357 second. If I have to move.

Maloy

1 - 20 of 108 Posts