Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After looking through the famous "My PT 1911 shoots low" thread as well as getting a tip from a local shooter, I went and purchased a new barrel bushing for my PT-1911 9mm. The before/after results are posted here as PDF files.

Some notes:
- I shot the "before" rounds on Jan. 28th and the "after" rounds just last night (Mar. 8th).
- The top targets were shot at 7 yards; the bottom targets were shot at 15 yards.
- The left targets were shot with cheap steel-cased Herter's 115gr ammo, the right targets were shot with better Fiocchi 115gr ammo.
- All targets were shot at using five rounds per target.
- All shots were taken from a benchrest.
- All shots were taken using a "cover hold" sighting (i.e., all three dots lined up, the center dot right over each bullseye).

Some observations:
- The groups definitely got tighter after I changed out the barrel bushing. How much tighter is debatable, but I'm happy with the upgrade.
- The shots are still a little low and a little to the right.
- I suck at shooting at 15 yards! (In fact, two of my Fiocchi shots -- lower right bullseye -- from last night were actually off the paper! One was below the three-shot group right around the word "FREE!" and the other was to the right of the three shot group.) Might be time for glasses...I have trouble seeing out that far in the low-light conditions of my range. (And darn it, the US Air Force just fixed my eyes only 3 years ago...)

Next up: an adjustable Novak rear sight...I'll update this thread and post an updated target after I've gotten it and shot another 20 rounds.

As for the bushing itself, I got it from Evolution Gun Works, Inc.. I went there in person as I don't have calipers and couldn't measure what size bushing I needed, not to mention they're about 45 minutes from me. They were very friendly and super nice -- it was a pleasure to deal with them. I wound up buying a thick-flange bushing and a matching recoil spring cap. (They even checked to make sure that the adjustable Silverline rear sight did NOT fit the Tauruses, and wouldn't sell one to me.)

The guy who helped me at EGW (I think it was Jim) was a bit dumbfounded when he saw how much play there was between the stock/OEM bushing and the barrel...he wasn't surprised when I told him what the original groupings were like (I forgot to bring the target in to show him).

I can't say for the other calibers, but for the 9mm folks, the size I bought was .703" OD and .5795" ID. Call 'em up and get one -- it was less than $30 for a thick flange bushing before tax/S&H (I want to say it was around $26...a regular one may be even cheaper), plus $15 before tax/S&H for the matching recoil spring cap.

Cheers,

Andy

ETA: here are the links for the various parts...looks like $25 for the bushing and $15 for the recoil spring cap.
- Barrel Bushing
- Recoil Spring Cap

They did tell me that the recoil spring cap was purely for cosmetics...there's no need for it. Also, don't forget to specify a custom bore...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also have a PT1911 9mm and I was wondering where you bought your barrel bushing and what brand it was. Also, did it require any fitting? Mine is blued and I've been accenting it with stainless parts and so far only the grip safety required some fitting (had to take a dremel to it).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go:

As for the bushing itself, I got it from Evolution Gun Works, Inc.. I went there in person as I don't have calipers and couldn't measure what size bushing I needed, not to mention they're about 45 minutes from me. They were very friendly and super nice -- it was a pleasure to deal with them. I wound up buying a thick-flange bushing and a matching recoil spring cap. (They even checked to make sure that the adjustable Silverline rear sight did NOT fit the Tauruses, and wouldn't sell one to me.)

I can't say for the other calibers, but for the 9mm folks, the size I bought was .703" OD and .5795" ID. Call 'em up and get one -- it was less than $30 for a thick flange bushing before tax/S&H (I want to say it was around $26...a regular one may be even cheaper), plus $15 before tax/S&H for the matching recoil spring cap.

- Barrel Bushing
- Recoil Spring Cap
On mine it was a straight drop-in. No further fitting required.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sadly, it has taken me until today to shoot my PT-1911 9mm with the Novak rear sight properly installed. It was originally installed sometime over the summer, but I had problems keeping the rear sight fully depressed in the full-down position, so my 'smith finally just Loctite'd the set screw and that did the trick.

The same shooting parameters applied:
- The top targets were shot at 7 yards; the bottom targets were shot at 15 yards.
- The left targets were shot with cheap steel-cased Herter's 115gr ammo, the right targets were shot with better Fiocchi 115gr ammo.
- All targets were shot at using five rounds per target.
- All shots were taken from a benchrest.
- All shots were taken using a "cover hold" sighting (i.e., all three dots lined up, the center dot right over each bullseye).

Impressions are that these two mods (barrel bushing and Novak rear sight) have really dialed in the pistol. Never mind that I can't shoot out at 15 yards, you can see the tightness and the accuracy with the Fiocchi ammo at 7 yards.

Really happy with the upgrades. It doesn't give me the s4!t-eating grin like the S&W Performance Center 1911 9mm that I shot about a year ago (that pistol is just perfectly balanced with a really sweet, crisp trigger), but it's much better than I when I first got my PT-1911 9mm. Looking forward to spending a bit more time with this pistol now that it's dialed in.

Hope this helps with some of you looking to tighten up your PT-1911s.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I to replaced my barrel bushing in my PT1911 due to grouping was not consistent. I first bought a Wilson bushing, I had to fit this bushing and was not satisfied with the fitting that I did. Started to order another Wilson Bushing and found a thick flanged Fusion bushing on eBay, bought it and it was a drop in and grouping improved considerably. With the thick flanged bushing and end cap I really like the looks of the gun. I have since went with a short GI recoil spring and guide rod, really like it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
jstanfield103 you must shoot that pistol alot,looks like there is copper fouling in the bore.or the pic was taken after a session at the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts