Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Is this the counter for the firing range?"

"Yep, this is the place. Let me see your FOID card please....."

Sigh. Thank God I received orders out of this place.After returning to Illinois from my years in the Air Force I observed that all the bad things had gotten worse, and range procedures at the local range were no exception.But I have close friends in that state who have spent their entire lives in Soviet Illinois and I believe showing them the way of freedom at the gun range was a worthy purpose for tolerating some pointless bureaucracy.

After shooting my course of fire I stopped at the gun counter nearby with my friend to look at modern PT92s, as he liked my PT99 so much that the man had to see a new one up close and personal. While he was succumbing to PT92 syndrome I noticed a PT809 next to it on sale.

I plunked down my out of state Drivers License and had a gander at a stainless model. Hmm, grip felt nice. Stainless finish was surface scratched but no biggie, its a display model. Looked much smaller & sexier in person, I gathered the sense this gun just doesn't photograph well .

Couldn't sample the trigger on account of the trigger locks on the display weapons, which was irrelevant because I handled a PT840 back home which had a sweet trigger. As an aside this Illinois FFL had trigger locks on the PT1911s AND the Taurus Security Key enabled on the hammers, so you couldn't even check for function of the safeties or rack the slide.

Took a look at the price...$599.....took a look at the case again ....still $599.

Sigh.

I hand the gun back and head to the check out desk with my case. As I stood there waiting for the customer service rep to cut off the orange zip tie on my pistol case & unlock the store provided trigger locks on my handguns the thought crossed my mind to research picking one up once I got home.

After carrying my PT99 for so long ive noticed my back has started to hurt whenever ive carried it for long periods of time. It, and my other steel frame pistols are simply too heavy for long periods of concealed carry. And so thus I was on the hunt for a polymer carry pistol with a halfway decent trigger-that could also be carried in Condition One.

Let me just say that the list of guns that fit that can be counted on one hand. And finding one under $500 brand new left exactly one option.

My order was placed on 30 December on jetguns .com ( $600 my foot....) , and yesterday I picked up my two tone pistol from my FFl. Poly framed goodness without the "SPLINK" sound of a striker letting go. Ill post pictures and a range review as soon as possible, but as a PT99 owner I fully endorse this gun.

Note to future owners-THOROUGHLY clean this weapon before use!

I mean scrub it like you're a drug cop searching a car at the border. Take a brush and clean in between the trigger guard, the hammer and workings, the magwell, the rails, the trigger spring area, even behind and in front of the trigger itself in the frame valley it rotates in. Before the cleaning my gun wouldn't reset consistently to DA, but a few hours with Hoppe's number 9 and elbow grease took care of that. Taurus sends these guns via ocean shipping, which is a 3 week trip. So they pack these things with so much oily Honey meets Elmer's Glue packing grease its incredible. I suppose it is a better alternative than having the pistol rust in transit, but keep that in mind when handling these guns. If you're at an FFL and see the weapon malfunction just verify that its been cleaned first before making any final judgements on the model.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The PT809 was my first (and only...so far) handgun purchase and I think I've been spoiled a bit. I've had the opportunity to fire several others firearms from various manufacturers since and haven't found one I like as much as my 809. My perspective may be skewed slightly by the fact that I've spent so much time with it, but for now, I'm more than happy to be the proud owner of a Taurus PT809!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Congrats on your new gun. Can't wait to see the pics and hear about your range report.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats, please keep us informed on the range report. I am also a PT99 lover (my first handgun) and although I am really starting to like my 24/7 G2, I think I will always have a soft spot for my PT99. I am interested if in the end you like the PT809 better than the PT99.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition of the PT809!

I've heard nothing but good about that line of pistols from the people in my area.

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
On the subject of the 800 series, the TaurusUSA website for the 809 states that this gun is also available in SIG 357 and 40 cal, so does CheaperThanDirt. I have not been able to find the other calibers though. Is this one of the possibilities that did not happen last year?

·
Banned
171 Posts
On the subject of the 800 series, the TaurusUSA website for the 809 states that this gun is also available in SIG 357 and 40 cal, so does CheaperThanDirt. I have not been able to find the other calibers though. Is this one of the possibilities that did not happen last year?
You are refering to the 8XXc series and yes it is supposed to be available in .357 sig but there is also supposed to be a .22 conversion kit for the 800 series of guns. The full size is available in 809,840 and 845. It would be friggin sweet if they would release a full size or even just the promised compact in .357 sig.

BRING OUT THE 857C TAURUS!!!!!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Congrats ST! :clap:
I've been looking at those myself so I'm sure many will eagerly await your 'range report'. You mentioned a problem with the trigger reset, "...my gun wouldn't reset consistently to DA..." Can you explain that further?? My 24/7G2 is in Miami at this time because the trigger WOULD reset to DA. Mostly during mag changes, but also during fire, it would push out to DA from SA. I know about the cleaning issue, and as this was my second G2, I cleaned it as well as the first which didn't 'reset' on its own. Thanks, and Happy Shootin'!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats on the 809! It is on my short list as well since I too prefer a nice hammer drop. I have taken a plunge with striker fired Tauri lately with a 24/7 Pro G2 and OSS...too early to make an honest judgement. EBK mentioned the 822 conversion that Taurus listed in their catalogue and from what I've been able to gather it is no longer slated for production. Too bad...I would definitely invest in the conversion package.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Congrats on the 809! It is on my short list as well since I too prefer a nice hammer drop. I have taken a plunge with striker fired Tauri lately with a 24/7 Pro G2 and OSS...too early to make an honest judgement. EBK mentioned the 822 conversion that Taurus listed in their catalogue and from what I've been able to gather it is no longer slated for production. Too bad...I would definitely invest in the conversion package.
Yep, I pestered every LGS in a 100 mile radius and it is 'vapor ware'. It didn't matter to me if it was hammer or striker, but the all in one 45/22 'kit' would have been da bomb!! When I found a good deal on the G2, I gave up on the 845. :(

·
Banned
171 Posts
Yep, I pestered every LGS in a 100 mile radius and it is 'vapor ware'. It didn't matter to me if it was hammer or striker, but the all in one 45/22 'kit' would have been da bomb!! When I found a good deal on the G2, I gave up on the 845. :(
Yup had a thread about it a while a go I called Taurus and they told me the project had been scrapped

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taurus likely figured it would draw sales away from their own line of purpose built .22LR caliber weapons.

In any case, if one is shopping for a .22LR handgun Tanfoglio will sell you a 9mm EAA Witness with a .22LR slide, barrel, and magazine ready to use for approximately $400. And you can carry them conditon one just like a PT80X model....

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Banned
171 Posts
Taurus likely figured it would draw sales away from their own line of purpose built .22LR caliber weapons.

In any case, if one is shopping for a .22LR handgun Tanfoglio will sell you a 9mm EAA Witness with a .22LR slide, barrel, and magazine ready to use for approximately $400. And you can carry them conditon one just like a PT80X model....
Nice. to bad I already bought the 845. I have no interest in Taurus line of .22 cal pistols so my money will go to another company, their loss.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all,its turning out to be a winner of an aquisition so far.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Nice. to bad I already bought the 845. I have no interest in Taurus line of .22 cal pistols so my money will go to another company, their loss.
Yep. I wasn't necessarily looking for a 22, but the idea of getting 'cheap' trigger time with the same gun as a 22 and 45 was appealing, so Taurus lost that sale to Walther for a P-22.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
MMmmmuuuahhhhh hahhha haahhhh, another convert! <rubs hands in evil glee>

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the 800 series club, I think we can all safely say you made a great decision. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts