Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The light primer strikes that you list is true. I have read / seen other reports on that. I own the Taurus TCP PT738 and even though I had issues when I bought the gun, fluff and buff on the feed ramp, taken some excess materiall (millemeters) off the mag' follower and slightly bending the hold open slide back, fixed all of my issue. No problems after many years. NOW.. other people with the same gun did "not" have easy fixes.. and I feel bad for them (really, I do) because it is a great gun. Same thing it looks like for the Spectrum.

I'm really hoping with all the good reports that I have seen so far with the Taurus TX22, that is going to be a trend that we continue to see with newer guns from Taurus.

·
Registered
813 Posts
All mechanical devices are subject to malfunction. Obviously, there are lots of factors that increase/decrease the possibility of malfunction. Even the claim that a particular firearm is "100% reliable" really only means that of the times it was used, it functioned every single time. How many tries over how many years does a device achieve 100% reliability? Lack of care and maintenance decreases reliability, but it begs the question of the balance between inherent design function and the wear and tear over time.

So that is a bit dull, but you get my point. We make lots of claims about that reliability that are relative, not absolute.

I wanted the Spectrum so bad I could taste it. It wasn't because my TCP was a bad gun. It worked perfectly [there I go again] and I loved carrying it. It was just the idea that it had PZAZ. Eventually, I just felt like I was being teased, kind of like in high school with the head cheerleader. She teased everyone because it was her hobby and she was the only one that was having all the fun. [sorry ladies]

I got an LCP II and never looked back. I carry it EVERY day....in deep concealment. Recently I added the Hogue beavertail grip. WOWZA what a difference that made. I even ordered one for my TCP. Range time with pocket 380's is like getting your teeth scaled and it limits how much I was shooting it. The grip makes a big difference.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just picked up an all black Spectrum for $127.00 from Buds Guns. I haven't shot it yet but at this price point I thought it was worth a try. if it doesn't work i'll go back to my ultra reliable RM380.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like my Spectrum. It’s super light weight and yet is a soft shooter. I can’t get over how it’s just as comfortable to shoot with the flat bottom mag as it is with the pinky extension. There’s no comfort difference at all. No felt recoil difference.

My spectrum has never had light strike issues. Never had a failure to fire. But I have had a fair amount of failure to feed issues. Hornady CD xtps are guaranteed to FTF(eed) at least once per mag. The Hornady FTXs I’ve had much better luck with.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't own anything in .380 and when I first heard about the spectrum I was excited to possibly add one to my stable. Unfortunately the long time between reveal and actually shipping left me bored with the idea of having to buy another caliber ammo. Then I started hearing about light strikes and multiple failed attempts to fix it by Taurus. That really soured me on the gun. Now with the current run on ammo I'm seeing a lot of .380 ammo still on the shelves. Currently I'm starting to debate a Bersa Thunder in .380.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jkoht- bersa is a good choice. I have the thunder 380cc, the slightly smaller conceal carry model. It doesn’t quite feel as toyish as the Spectrum due to it having a metal alloy frame. 8+1 shots of 380, absolutely reliable out of the box with no hiccups of any kind, no need for a break in period, and the most accurate pistol I own. That’s funny saying that last part because the sites are so minimal (again it’s the CC version), but every time I walk away from shooting that gun I feel like I’m a true pistolero. Then I go shoot something else and that’s always a bit of a let down as I realize I wasn’t really that good. It was really the gun. Now I did put on a hogue immediately after buying it so I actually don’t know what it feels like to shoot it without. Just filled my hand a little better. That said, it’s a real soft shooter. Almost like shooting a 22. Hardly any snap at all. But I also don’t think the Spectrum has has much snap either. I read someone on this forum com play about how “snappy” the Spectrum is, that’s why I mention it. I don’t think you can get much softer. The bersa is slightly softer shooting than the Spectrum, and it’s a blowback. The downside is that it’s not really a pocket gun, unless you think the Shield is pocketable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've owned a Bersa Thunder 380 for about 5 years. I like it. I've had no failures with it. I'm a fan of DA/SA autos, and I'm a fan of the classic Walther/Makarov style. Definitely not a pants pocket gun, but easily carried other places.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
I don't own anything in .380 and when I first heard about the spectrum I was excited to possibly add one to my stable. Unfortunately the long time between reveal and actually shipping left me bored with the idea of having to buy another caliber ammo. Then I started hearing about light strikes and multiple failed attempts to fix it by Taurus. That really soured me on the gun. Now with the current run on ammo I'm seeing a lot of .380 ammo still on the shelves. Currently I'm starting to debate a Bersa Thunder in .380.

Gosh I have few 380 pistolas, a Sig 238 (super good weapon) a Clone of a beretta 380(ATI), a TCP (stays in the top of the safe never ever carry that one--not reliable) and a Bersa thunder.
actually I have had 3-4 Thunders over the years, someone will talk me into selling one after shooting it usually and then I go a while and have to get another one, they have all been very good weapons and purchases. and they fit my hands pretty good and are accurate for me.
the downside is they are a tad larger for pocket carry but work fine IWB, they are a bit hard to manipulate the slide and they aren't especially smooth but they sure do function.
MY particular Bersa loves 102 grain Golden Sabre ammo!
notice that the one target is at 15 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Evening, I Have a Spectrum , TCP, Thunder cc, Thunder Plus, 238 all good weapons , the Sig and Bersa are just better shooters, They just are , Thats just in 380, I like the 380s, had Shoulder surgery in 13, full repair, for me Much more manageable in the recoil area, spectrum truck gun, and TCP carry, and both have self defense rounds , Hydra shok, and sig C crowns , I dont think anyone will stand in front to SEE if it goes Bang , it will , all the time , so let all the haters hate , Im Good , Happy shooting !!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My Spectrum is giving me like strikes issues, does anyone really know what the problem is? while i have had it apart many times , it seems to me the firing pin just isn't going deep enough into the round, is looks like if you disassemble it and manually work the firing pin , does not seem to to go far enough, I don't want to send it back I didn't pay that much for it, but would to get it reliable , I see KYguns has them at 124.00 but sold out , does anyone Know the answer? currently not carrying , don't trust it , Happy Shooting and Happy 4th!!!

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
My Spectrum is giving me like strikes issues, does anyone really know what the problem is? while i have had it apart many times , it seems to me the firing pin just isn't going deep enough into the round, is looks like if you disassemble it and manually work the firing pin , does not seem to to go far enough, I don't want to send it back I didn't pay that much for it, but would to get it reliable , I see KYguns has them at 124.00 but sold out , does anyone Know the answer? currently not carrying , don't trust it , Happy Shooting and Happy 4th!!!
don't own a Spectrum but from what I have read about that problem and here I believe that taurus installed a heavier firing pin/striker spring?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a late production model. The biggest problem is FTF because the mag. has dropped out of position. Reseat the mag and rack the slide and it goes again. After 200 rds one mag is mostly reliable but the one with the finger rest still has 1 to 3 FTF per mag. If I wrap the pinkie UNDER the mag I can hold it up enough to cycle the entire mag.

Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
I have a late production model. The biggest problem is FTF because the mag. has dropped out of position. Reseat the mag and rack the slide and it goes again. After 200 rds one mag is mostly reliable but the one with the finger rest still has 1 to 3 FTF per mag. If I wrap the pinkie UNDER the mag I can hold it up enough to cycle the entire mag.

Anybody got any ideas?

MY suggestion for things like this is Duct Tape or Super Glue.
are by any chance you hitting the mag release button while firing it?
does it do the same thing with others firing the weapon?

·
Registered
516 Posts
...from what I have read about that problem and here I believe that taurus installed a heavier firing pin/striker spring?
That's what I've read, as well.

I have an early production Spectrum (purchased February 2017) which has never exhibited the malfunctions and failures of later production. I would love to pick up another Spectrum simply because I've been so pleased with mine, but I'm hesitant to do so with the complaints regarding later production runs.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's what I've read, as well.

I have an early production Spectrum (purchased February 2017) which has never exhibited the malfunctions and failures of later production. I would love to pick up another Spectrum simply because I've been so pleased with mine, but I'm hesitant to do so with the complaints regarding later production runs.
I had an early production Spectrum and had lots of light primer strikes and several FTF issues with it. The ergos were excellent for me, and I would buy another......if Taurus ever fixes it.

I think at this point, the Spectrum's reputation is so bad, that Taurus feels there's no point in dumping money into it. Look at Remington's R51 as an example. Major botch on the first release. Remington spent a ton of money redesigning the gun, and while it was indeed "better", it was still not what I would consider a "good" pistol. Sales have never been good for this one. Why bother.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In some ways the Spectrum reminds me of the Bereta Pico. After it was announced, there was a 2 year wait for production. When I finally got to buy one & went to the range, it would not run. Fix was easy, take out the tiny recoil spring but leave in the big one. 100% reliable ever since. But the grip is like a cigarette lighter. It's not even a 2 finger grip, it's 1 1/2. That is why I wanted a Spectrum. It has the best grip of any micro 380 I ever held. It's DAO too which I prefer. I followed the Spectrum a long time but lost interest when it looked like quality control would remain hit or miss. I can't roll the dice on carry guns. Maybe a budget plinker but I have enough of those.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This thread is going on two years old now, but it seems like the best place to ask... Did they ever fix it? I ask because the gun is still in production, (albeit in greatly diminished color choices, which sort of makes the name less meaningful) so I would think that it must have been fixed by now, but searching elsewhere is like searching for any other Taurus product elsewhere, the results are heavily slanted and typically just ignorant people repeating what they've heard ad nauseam. At least here, folks generally tend to know what they're talking about because they actually own one. (Unless it's the Judge, but that's another story...)

I actually read an interesting tidbit in a press release by Ruger regarding the LCP, in which they addressed why they had never introduced a striker-fire version of the LCP and LC380 like they had the LC9 is because they had tried, but had been unsuccessful in producing a working prototype, and eventually gave up, making the bold statement that it was completely impossible to make a reliable striker-fired 380 Pocket Pistol because there just wasn't enough space to allow a striker assembly that was long enough to ensure 100% reliability.

Seeing as the Spectrum obviously released with spotty reliability which appears to have remained unresolved over the years, that statement just might be true, but then again, I don't own a Spectrum 380, and as much as I would like to have the money to just buy one myself on a whim and take it out to the range with a sack full of ammo for testing, I cannot.
So what do you folks here have to say? How reliable is your Spectrum? Did Taurus ever solve the issue or does it just sort of solve itself over time as the pistol breaks in?

Believe it or not, even after all this time, I still like the Spectrum, and if the issues have been sorted out then I could see buying one, possibly even replacing my LCP as my BUG if my particular example proved to be 100% reliable.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts