Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on other forums and have noticed that most people seem to talk down about Taurus weapons. Why is that? I have had no problems with mine (I had a low and to the left problem, it was found to be ammo). ???

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
It's the nature of things ... they are just haters.

Brand loyalty have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Years back Taurus made cheap copies of existing handguns. The quality of these weapons left something to be desired, and alot of people got burned. Since then Taurus has evolved into the major manufacturer it is today, with quality equal to S&W. Those who have tried newer Taurus's have learned this, but alot of folks who haven't are still out there bad-mouthing them.
You will also find a large group of "Firearm Snobs" out there, very "dedicated" to the more pricey brands.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The gun snobs....probably never owned a Taurus. Just practice and outshoot some guy with a high end gun. That'll change their tune!

·
32,531 Posts
Can't speak for everyone here, but it seems that most Taurus owners are not Taurus fanatics and usually have other manufacturers models if not limited to one brand. Some have found that all their needs are filled by Taurus and may not have other brands. That's just fine also. When something works there is no reason to look further.

Taurus.Rossi, defunct Star, and Bersa never seem to get the credit when it is due.

Some American brands are the same way. While the "snobs" have had a majority of threads and posts at other forums it can be said that the positive threads are more numerous then before and the "snobs" have been leaving the positive ones alone.

Can't get much "press" if it isn't part of a thread slamming a certain product. Being a cynic at heart I figure quite a few of the "tell me the pros and cons" threads about certain brands are really people who are just waiting for or know that negative opinions are going to flow.

True. There are many brand new shooters who ask legitimate questions and want reliable info. One of my pet peeves is an answered question of certain brand and then some yahoo goes and posts the same topic in the same day or two and asks the same question without checking the other recent threads.

So while there are Taurus fans here,there are no fanatics. Fanatics are unstable and try to take someone with them in the name of a cause or cannot see reason and common sense. Will know kick the :soapbox: back under the table. :D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Fanatics do have a use. Its handy on occasion to have someone around to charge uphill.

An interesting point on Taurus, I think they came out with the Lifetime Warranty idea first. That then forced other makes to copy or lose market share. If Taurus's were junk, they wouldn't have worried.

Smaller or less established companies that don't have a listed warranty policy give me cause to wonder if I should purchase a firearm of theirs.

Steelheart

·
32,531 Posts
Good point Steelheart. Taurus not only started it all as mentioned, but has stood by what they preach. Had to send my 669 back because the adjustable sight popped off and a tiny ball bearing was lost. Taurus did the repair work and did not charge a penny even though it was owner ignorance and my mistake. Hadn't even sent in the warranty card when the revolver was purchased and they still didn't flinch from servicing the revolver. This was back and being spanking brand new to firearms. Since poor companies fail that put out shoddy products, there would be many familar names gone from the gun production scene if that was the case. At least the ones that receive the Rodney Dangerfield syndrome."No respect. No respect I tell you. Put a steak around my neck and the dog nearly ::) :D starved to death rather than play with me."

·
Registered
272 Posts
The best way to shut up the gun snob is out shoot him with your Taurus, then out shoot him with his gun. :-*

It's hard to teach some folks that it's usually the operator and not the tool that determines worth.

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed most negative posters, be it Taurus, Kel Tec, Ruger, whatever, are the "If it ain't a Smith and Wesson, it ain't sh--" crowd. I have also noticed that the guys that stick up for KT or Taurus or Ruger in such threads tend to own more'n just one brand. Seems to me if you're going to bash a gun, you should at least own one first. ::)

Personally, I own three Taurus revolvers, no autos (I'm a revolver kinda guy anyway), a couple of Ruger P series autos, three Ruger single action revolvers, one Smith and Wesson revolver, two Rossi revolvers, one Kel Tec auto, one Grendel auto, NAA mini, Phoenix Arms HP22, Ramline Exactor pistol, AR7 Explorer 2, Erma LA22, CVA 31 pocket remington, etc, etc, etc. See any brand trends here? I just buy guns that attract my fancy! My Taurus guns are two M66 revolvers, an older hammer block action and a newer nickeled transfer bar action, and a M85UL .38 snubby. I have nothing, but accolades for these three revolvers and I fully intend to own more Taurus revolvers and perhaps an auto or three in the future! I can say the same about Rossi revolvers, but that their selection is pretty poor. I'd really like a 4" titanium Tracker, but I can't afford the entry fees right now. I'd love one in .41 magnum. Yummy. I just keep finding these used M66 .357s for cheap, cheap in great shooting shape and unreal accurate.

I'd rank the M66 as the equal of any Smith and Wesson M19/66 and I had a M19. I can see little difference in quality, fit and finish, or trigger to my newer M66. The older one is a little rougher in the trigger with the older lockwork, but I like it cause it's a 3" and carries well. People yap about the Taurus being a lesser gun, but I fail to see it, frankly. Both of my guns out-shoot my 19 and my old Ruger Security Six for accuracy with .38 special and shoot equally well with .357 Magnum. I've heard guys gripe about Taurus chambers being cut to large, how the bullet shouldn't fall through. Well, I don't know, all I know is when I sit down with the gun and can put 5 rounds into a one inch cluster at 25 yards off sand bags, that's as good as my old eyes can shoot and if that gun wasn't accurate, I couldn't sit down and repeat that feat with regularity. I don't know how the chambers are cut, but they must be cut right if I can get that sort of accuracy in TWO out of TWO examples I've bought used at gun shows for UNDER 200 bucks! Both these guns are tight, the newer one especially so, and both time perfectly. I can't see the criticisms in these guns that I've seen in print about them on BBSs by the snobs. If I'm a fool, fine, but I try to spend my money wisely and I can't find a Smith around here for anything near less than TWICE what I gave for the M66s. I'd rather have a like new M66 4" nickel Taurus for $197 than a 30 or 40 year old Smith M19 with measurable end play, 70 percent bluing from holster wear, and $400+. IOW, I'd rather have a nice like new Taurus for half the price of a worn out POS Smith, I don't really care what's stamped on the side plate. ::)

Thanks for letting me rant in a peaceful environment. LOL!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Most of this needs to be turned into a "sticky" to remain at the top of this forum. I've always wanted a Hi-Power and when FN started dumping their brand I finally could afford one. But those with the Browning name (made by FN to the same specs) rag on the "cheap" guns. Not to mention the 1911 guys who think that John Browning should have just quit with the 1911... and every other design has gone down hill.

I buy what I like... I sold a Springfield 1911A1 GI series to buy my Taurus PT145 because I liked the design, the feel of the gun... and yes... the price. I fully expect some GLOCK buddies are going to berate my choice... I've shot their little Glock .45 and it just didn't fit my hand, didn't like the trigger, and Glocks just scare me with their "safety" trigger... way too easy to accidentially discharge. I know they tell me that Glocks HAS to be good because so many are sold to law enforcement. I have wondered if Taurus had been up and running with their current generations if that would have changed.

So the only fanaticism here I've seen is a deep passion for personal preference and not "mine is better than yours" attitudes. Gosh, it is easy to rant on this isn't it!

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
Just to note, Glock is so popular with law enforcement because they give law enforcement HUGE discounts that no other manufacturer does. So, you see, they're looking at value, too. I agree with you about "safe action" triggers, what keeps me from getting to warm over Glock, though they are great guns otherwise. I like what SA did with the XD series, putting a grip safety in the gun. That would make me feel much safer about carrying a "safe action" design.

But, basically, I prefer DA/DAO designs and revolvers, safe to carry and effective. Problem is, DA takes some dedication to learn and I suspect a lot of Glock and 1911 types just think the gun should do the shooting for them, they shouldn't have to put too much effort into learning trigger control and marksmanship, never mind safe carry of a loaded firearm.

To each his own on that. I was never really paranoid of my 1911s cocked and locked, but then I didn't have a permit and only carried for competition and hunting and OWB with a hammer blocking thumb break retaining strap. Can't do that with a Glock.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We went to the range this morning and had a great time. We fired 2 S&W's (19 and a 620), 2 Rugers (P-89 and a Blackhawk), and my new Taurus (85). All fired well, with no malfunctions, and grouping at 10 yards was great. (and my Taurus functioned just as good as my Smiths)
Brand loyalty? Hell yeah, I love all three!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have thought that taurus always made a decent weapon. I own a sw380 that is a pos and always jams. but the taurus pistols i've bought have always been great I own a pt 111 pro and a pt22 for the wife and we love both of them. In the past I've owned a 85 model taurus .38 and a S&W model 36. the model 36 cylinder froze up after 500 rounds and had to be sent back to the factory. but 1000 rds out of the 85 with no problems

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some people aren't happy unless they pay big $$ for their guns. They just can't stand the fact that Taurus can put out a very good product for much less than other makers. At one time Taurus wasn't known for great guns but that time is long in the past. Their firearms today are as good as anybody else's and some times better. I bought a PT1911 about 1.5 months ago and it is nearly as good as my Pro Carry II, out of the box. It costs 1/3 less than the Pro Carry and shoots just as accurately. Love the PT1911!!! ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't care what the snobs say! I went through the verbal abuse from a co-worker who swears by kimbers, that they're the best, and he would'nt "own a plastic piece of crap", if you paid him, (his words), refering to my buying a Glock. Glocks get bashed all the time, I'm use to it. So, now I suppose that my most recent possession, TAURUS X (2) Dec. 2006 are two more pieces of crap I've added to my already crap collection? I don't think so, not one bit!

THERE ARE MANY MADE LIKE 'EM, BUT THESE FIVE ARE MINE!!

1. GLOCK 19
2. GLOCK 26 , (first two handguns I ever bought)
3. ROSSI 851 .38 spcl
4. TAURUS PT1911
5. TAURUS PT745 MIL PRO.

·
32,531 Posts
Makes sense. I like metal pistols. I like polymer framed ones. Like wood on shotguns and rifles. Like polymer frames on the same. What works for one personally is up to the individual. Not everyone else.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Oh yes, the Taurus bashers. I've seen numerous critics posting on various boards about what junk Taurus is, yet as some here have noted, these are the same people who never fired a Taurus firearm, let alone have held one in their hands. ::)

I've found as well it's generally hard, if not impossible, to dissuade someone who swears up, down and sideways that Taurus is crap. They generally hold on to this opinion steadfast and refuse to entertain any other line of thinking to the contrary. Fine. Anymore I generally offer my experience and observations to those new to the shooting sports or those who are involved but have no hands on experience with Taurus but that are curious to know.

Those that don't like Taurus or who would never own a Taurus, to each their own. In the end that leaves more Tauri for you guys and me. ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to own a couple of Taurus revolvers that had problems. However, I shipped them back and got them both back from Taurus within 4 weeks or so fixed. The folks who later bought them from me never had any more issues from them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This Raging Bull I just bought (used) is my first Taurus.I was quilty of being a little skeptical (as mentioned in earlier posts.).Especially with a cartridge that generates as much pressure as the 454 Casull.But, after having this gun out to the range 3 times now.I can't say enough good about it.The 3 f's fit,form,function are of the highest standard.This RB takes a lickin' from the 454 cartridge and keeps on tickin'.Most accurate revolver I have.
I would rate it equal to or, better than any Smith, Colt,Ruger etc. out there.
Taurus has my vote from now on. :-*

1 - 20 of 27 Posts