Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finished the Level 3 shotgun course today. It was a sunny and rather hot day for this old man to be out running 250 rounds through a shotgun but I wouldn't have it any other way!

I have said in the past "I'm not a shotgun guy". Having taken these 3 one day courses has changed my mind. I really enjoy running the pump 12ga. It does get a little rough when we start running the slugs but it's all about learning.

Well I had a small idea from the level 2 class but today brought it full circle. My body just does not shoot much of anything, especially the shotgun, from the prone position. I have a Mossberg 500, 20" barrel, etc. I simply cannot get the stock, Magpul SGA which I like a lot, in the "pocket" without my face being close to my right thumb, tang, and safety.

Well today it really got me! On recoil I had my thumb slam against my face, just below my glasses, a couple times. No biggie, I was putting the slugs on target at about 40yds. Well we got done shooting from prone and went to check our targets and I could see something in my lower peripheral vision. What is that. oops! It's the swelling on my cheek right below my right eye! I am going to have some splainin' to do at work tomorrow It has some pretty good swelling now and should make for a pretty good shiner by tomorrow!

I certainly won't ever pass for any kind of "operator" :) but I have gone from a "not a shotgun guy" to being pretty darn confident and competent running a pump 12ga. in a defensive roll.

I have completed level 3 of handgun and shotgun and will do level 3 carbine in a couple weeks. That will be the end of my money for these things for some time to come. I think spending a good chunk of my tax return on these classes has been a good investment. If you haven't done so find a good instructor in your area and get some training.

Before anyone says it, here's a photo! :)

P1010233.JPG

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I agree I have a love hate relationship with my Mossy 500. Love when i'm not shooting it, hate it when I have to shoot full loads with it. Meaning Buck and slugs!! Congrats on your class I'm sure it improved your confidence level!!!

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I hunted and shot fun with shotgun all my teens and twentys. Squirrel, rabbit, dove, quail, deer, ****, varmint, clays...
I Could hunt or shoot any of that within walking distance of my door and did. When i lift the house i had a gun in my hand. Daisey 125, .177 Benjamin Pellet, Winchester 62A .22 or my model 37 Ithaca 16ga., Browning A5 12ga.
Training? LOL who trained sgt York or Oakley Annie?
Didn't everyone hunt and fish just about everyday growing up?
I just forget how lucky i am.
So yea, if you didn't grow up doing it all the time by all means sign up for this kind of stuff. It is something everyone should do.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got rid of the pistol grip type stock in favor of the more traditional style. The Magpul can be length adjusted it just takes a little effort. Thing is the stock works great the rest of the time. The length of pull is good, with 1 spacer installed, and all that. It's just when I go prone that it becomes an issue. My old body just doesn't accept that position and holding a long gun! So hopefully I will never have a need to shoot from prone with it!

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
12 gauge shotgun---Prone Position---No----hell no!
I am to old for that--someone is going to need to knock me down while I am holding my shotty on them to get that response from me!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and just for the record the eye is way purtier than last night! My goodness! But that is usually the way those things go.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
Hard to swing on that bird when you're laying on your belly. :rolleyes:

And, for shooting shotguns, fit is everything.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Congrats on finishing the course but I am with Olfarhos on shooting prone with a 12ga. Oh, and don't worry bout the shiner it's that fuzzy thing under your nose that is concerning.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hard to swing on that bird when you're laying on your belly. :rolleyes:

And, for shooting shotguns, fit is everything.
These classes have had nothing to do with birds! Although the instructor we should take our defensive shotguns and shoot some trap or skeet. He said the old timers would laugh at, rightfully they would, but he said it's good practice.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
These classes have had nothing to do with birds! Although the instructor we should take our defensive shotguns and shoot some trap or skeet. He said the old timers would laugh at, rightfully they would, but he said it's good practice.
Well, he's right. You know that BG ain't just gonna stand there like a B27 and let you shoot him. He's GONNA be moving.

I have shot off my back before with a 10 gauge. Laying out in a rice field waiting on the geese to commit and the guide to say "take 'em!", I often don't have time to get my old butt up off the ground, can't do sit ups like I used to, and just take the shot laying down. That 10 gauge kinda hurts when there's no give in the shoulder. :D

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I am a shotgun person and when I read the title of this post, I already knew what I'd see. I'm a recoil junkie and really get into it at shoots. I use a Benelli Super Nova Tactical and a standard Nova Tactical. I use to use a Benelli M1, but migrated back to pump guns. I'm fat, 55 and surprise the hell out of the kids at shoots.

Did they have you prone shooting through a pipe with elbows having to be into the pipe? You learn how much your hearing protection sucks.:D

Maloy

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am a shotgun person and when I read the title of this post, I already knew what I'd see. I'm a recoil junkie and really get into it at shoots. I use a Benelli Super Nova Tactical and a standard Nova Tactical. I use to use a Benelli M1, but migrated back to pump guns. I'm fat, 55 and surprise the hell out of the kids at shoots.

Did they have you prone shooting through a pipe with elbows having to be into the pipe? You learn how much your hearing protection sucks.:D

Maloy
No pipes. Just the sharp, partially broken up shells that make the (not quite beach) sand...stuff is equal to about a 5 grit sand paper! Locals know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
LOL! Yea I'm pretty well committed to that not happening again!
yea with these 2 bad rotator cuffs that would put me out of commission for 6 months or more--I am a Wimp!!!
I haven't shot my 300 Win mag in about 4 years now!
I can handle the 12 gauge standing a bit but its pay me later even if I do that and its a steel frame heavy weight.!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts