Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From 1977 until about 1992, there were four members of the Saturday morning breakfast club. We would meet in Ron's heated garage, drink breakfast, shoot the bull, show off new guns, go hunting during hunting season, watch educational videos, occasionally have some live entertainment and we were pretty well determined to always be together.

Don was 16 years older than me and died a year ago in November. Ben was three years older and died just about a year ago. Ron was 10 years older and died last night, so I am the last of the group, and not quite 64.

I have to work with clients this afternoon, so I won't be able to drink my breakfast in honor of them until after 5, but I definitely will.

The older we get, the more friends we expect to pass on, I just never thought those three close friends would have passed in such a short time.

·
Super Moderator
35,533 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. Good friends are not that easy to find and it's tough to say goodbye. Be extra safe today as you will be in an easily distracted state.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
You have my sympathies.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Sorry to hear about losing your friends. I'm a few years behind you and haven't had to experience that to the extent you have. Gotta be tough. Hang in there.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oldest friend lived in constant pain, so it was a blessing when he passed, the next oldest had copd and emphysema and still had a fairly decent life, but I wasn't surprised. The next youngest to me hit me hardest a year ago as he had hit some tough times and rough spots, but had come out of them and had a new lady in his life and was the happiest I had seen him in a long time.

All in all, I'm just glad to have known them all, thankfully, I still have some good friends living. I can't imagine a life without friends, and friends have been a saving grace for me through some tough times.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss and pain, but happy for the many memories you can reflect back on. One of lifes cruel jokes is that the longest living seem to indure the greatest pain from doing so.
Bless you my internet friend,

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Hey Ron, I'm sorry for your loss I'm only in my mid 50's and have friends dying of cancer from the stuff we were soaked in at the plant. Good friends dying is vary hard to take. Know you have friends here PM me if you need to talk.
Rick

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I am raising a drink to all friends who left us too early.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Reminds me of the episode of M.A.S.H. when Col. Potter is the last living of a group of friends. It's a poignant moment, but at least he had new friends to share it with. I hope that you have great new friends to fill the space as well....

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Hey Ronnie, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss also. It's not so hard to see them go if they're suffering, but is sure is hard to continue without them afterward. Good friends are very hard to come by and they can never be replaced when they've gone. So, drink to them a silent toast and carry their memory with you as you move on because within your mind they will live forever. On the anniversary of their passing drink a double!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Speak often of happy times with your friends and they will never leave you. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Sorry to hear Jake.

Sarge

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
Reminds me of the episode of M.A.S.H. when Col. Potter is the last living of a group of friends. It's a poignant moment, but at least he had new friends to share it with. I hope that you have great new friends to fill the space as well....
"Here's to you, boys.
To Ryan, who died in W.W.I, the war to end all wars.
To Gianelli, who died in the war after that.
To Stein, the joker of the crowd.
And to Gresky, my best friend who just passed away in Tokyo.
You were the friends of my youth.
My comrades through thick and thin and everything in between.
I drink to your memories.
I loved you fellows, one and all."

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
Am thinking of you Jake.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Sincere condolences, Jake.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I told my youngest son about Ron dying a little while ago. He said that means you'll be next. I thought a little bit and said, yep I'll be next definitely out of the four friends, since I'm the only one left.

Folks, not to be callous, but I really don't need any condolences or sympathies, I'm also not very good on giving them, because they make me feel strange to receive them. I've gone through very close family losses, thankfully well in the past. To quote "Don" after the hardest loss, "Ronnie, I'm not going to say anything, because nothing I can say will matter!" Don was absolutely correct and he had acknowledged the loss at the same time, which was all I needed. Often when folk offered words, they just stumbled over their words, or would say something to make me feel like I needed to talk and say something to relieve their grief. About all I ever do is say something like "The last time I saw him or her we had a good time doing whatever and I'll sure miss him/her or they threw away the mold when they made him/her.

Neither Don or Ron really ever wanted to get real old. Both smoked three packs a day and drank at least a pint of some spirits until they were 65 and pretty much ate what they wanted. I never saw either of them drunk. 79 and 74 were not un-full ages to go, particularly considering Don had been a forward observer in the Korean war. He was color blind.

I could always tell if his wife was displeased with him, he might show up in a green shirt and orange trousers. He told a story of the Chosen (I think that was the valley) Valley when wave after wave of Chinese regulars were coming at them, and on the sides of the Valley they had a quad 50 on one side and a quad 50 on the other side. When the barrells were spent, they would just bulldoze the bad one over the cliff and pull up a fresh one. After the Korean War, Don got his Masters in business administration, he eventually became the best business manager any Ford dealership in the nation had. He wasn't just a bean counter, he was a street smart bean counter and made that dealer filthy rich, and did pretty good for himself. He was either the 1st or 2nd smartest man I've ever known, the other is a doctor in Austin. Either one of those two could have been Astrophysicist or Rocket Scientist if they had desired. I helped Don drink a lot of his Chevas Regal.

I Designed and built Don and his wife a home and pool in 1987. That was a very strained time on the friendship. 13 years later, I sold them a big Austin Stone Ranch style home built in 1949 across from a park and spent 6 months rebuilding, refurbishing, redesigning spaces and making the place like a new home. For me it was a labor of love for the first 5 months, but by the end of the 6th month, my fingers were too sore to unzip my fly and I was glad to be finished. Don was for the most part, pretty good to deal with and more so as the project came together and he began to see what his wife and I had seen all along. Of all the homes I ever built, sold or worked with in 40 years of construction and real estate, it became my favorite.

Ron was honestly, a better friend to me than I was to him. He was always kind to me and considerate. He eventually became the manager over the back end of the Dealership Don was the business manager for. Ron eventually got the Back end manager job away from a not so favorite uncle of mine. Really a small world. Until the past 12 or so years they were like brothers, then they quit seeing one another as friends. I was a better friend of Don's by then because I had worked with he and his wife on many projects and I kind of drifted away from Ron. I last saw him the same day I found out Ben had died. I knew Ron had, had a bout with Pneumonia from an email from his wife, but thought he was out of ICU and into rehab Once finding that out, I kept thinking I needed to go see him, but I had a bad bout with Pneumonia at age 45, had been on a ventilator for 11 days of touch and go time and bizzare dreams and short term memory loss for over 6 months and I was somewhat of a germaphobe and did not go see him. I do feel bad about that. I helped Ron drink a lot of his Jack Daniels and Budweiser. He was a close friend when I went through a divorce in 76. he was always a big Ruger fan, having three Ruger single actions, a .22, a .357 mag and a Black Hawk .44 mag. He has a pristine gun collection. We had a lot of fun shooting and hunting.

Ben Virgin ("Just like the Cherry!" as Ben used to say) and I roomed together when I was 23 for about eight months until I bought my first house. He was as anal about housekeeping as a an Old maid Aunt I once had and riding with him was a thrill of it's own. His blood pressure could double in two seconds. If anyone cut him off in traffic, was in the wrong turning lane or otherwise had any flaw or infraction of driving, his face would get red and explicitives and middle fingers would fly. A couple of years after we were roomies, he got married and called me wanting to buy a house. He bought a house one block over and down a little. As a good neighbor, Ron came across the street with a welcoming 6 pack and thus the friendship began. Don, Ron and now Ben were the Saturday morning breakfast club. Ben then invited me to come over and that was how it all started. Ben and I spent more time on a regular basis, I helped him drink a lot of his Miller light.

Ben would drive Don and I nuts when trying to make up his mind on something. i always got the real estate questions and Don always got the financial questions. Ben and his wife made good money, but Ben was always in debt. He never kept a TV for more than two years and I was envious as my current main TV I watch is on it's 31st year. Ben would call Don about financial advice, which was basically quit spending and Ben would be armored with that advice and go out the next day and buy the biggest baddest TV there was.

They were great Best friends, I've never had one best friend. I still can count about 6 more best friends pretty easy and a whole lot of good friends. Some I've not spent enough time with, and know I need to.

Moral of this story, keep your beer and liquor under lock and key when I'm around.;)

I've toasted these friends quite well now and shared them with other friends, so I'll end this long post. Here is to all of you!

Thanks for listening,

Ronnie Foy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts