Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening folks, Let me tell you a tale of my M57 Tokarev from Classic Firearms. It started one dreary night, I had not seen the sun in days. My slowly melting mind was fixated on a need for something different. I could hear a quiet string of Mickalov's music drifting in the back round. A growly Russian chant pounding in my ears. Oh no my inner Communist hiding so long in my mitochondrial strands was asserting itself. Ni Pukha, Ni Pyera!

Let us begin with a visit to the Classic Firearms website a great place to view surplus imports. I recently bought a sweet Italian surplus Beretta 92S which turned out to be an excellent pistol. Well there weren't any Russian pistols available, but a Zastava M57 Tokarev might be able to settle the ole Russkie in my DNA down. So For $219 plus shipping a Serbian copy of the venerable Tokarev was on its way. I also ordered a spare mag for $19.
Gun Firearm Yellow Trigger Starting pistol Believe me they must be dumping these pistols in a warm vat of cosmoline, then bagging them up and sticking the whole mess in a crate.
Gun Trigger Revolver Metalworking hand tool Gun barrel Cosmoline in everything, firing pin channel, hammer group, magazines, there wasn't anyplace in this pistol that didn't have cosmoline on or in it. So it was time to do a complete tear down and attack that Serbian grease. Of note this version of the M57 has a trigger safety dingus just like a Glock. Not nearly as well executed , but usable.
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory Ok I was impressed after cleaning this pistol, it appears to not have been shot. The slide and action was tight, no scratches and very little holster wear on the exterior. However I wasn't happy with the revised trigger, so I ordered an original M57 trigger, at least that is what the EBAY seller said. Arghh,,it fit , but needed a lot of filing on the rear trigger lobe to get it fitted correctly. Oh let me back up -- In anticipation of the M57's arrival I ordered a Serbian rubber target grip along with the trigger. Ok listen up folks, once you put the Serbian grip on the pistol, it will not come off, so if you replace a trigger, better be sure it works before installing the grip. Long story short - I cut the grip off, tried running the gun with the fitted trigger, but to my chagrin, I filed too much off the back of the lobes and caused the hammer to hang and magazines to not fit correctly. So I did some polishing on the original trigger rails and reinstalled. Some light sanding on the trigger dingus edges and she was ready to go.
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Revolver The little 7.62X25 pistolet is quite nice looking and after three range sessions and 150 rounds it is finally breaking in. DA trigger pull is a long 2/3 inch travel,then a gritty wall finally breaking at 11.5 lbs. SA reset is 1/3 inch and a better feeling break of 6 lbs. The slide is very smooth, and the slide stop/release is so easy to manipulate. The OEM magazines hold 9 rounds of 7.62X25 ammunition.
Recreation Games This 8 inch sticky was shot at 20 yards, while the M57 is not highly accurate, for what it is, the grouping wasn't that bad. Overall I am impressed with this low cost example of Serbian craftsmanship. The Zastava factory knows how to make a nice pistol. I bet you think this is the end of my Russian phase, but no....I just ordered a Bulgarian Makarov from Classic, it cost a bit more at $239 but I hope it rises to the occasion like the M57. Do svidaniya comrades.

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
I've always liked the M88s from Zastava. The only other Tokarevs I've had were Polish and Romanian. They only came with 8 round mags. The 7.62x25 is like a hot 32mag. A very satisfying flash/bang on the firing line.

Nice pistolet tovarich.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I was under the impression these were new copies, not surplus. No?

Nice write up and review. I've been thinking of getting one for the price, but they sure are hard to look at.

Ammo is not as cheap or readily availbe as it used to be, but it still out there in good quantities.

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
Nice!

I like the Tokarov, especially the round it shoots.

I have also always liked the Makarov too.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Reactions: silverstring

·
23,210 Posts
Great writeup, thanks for posting it!

Looks like they put the trigger safety on instead of the more common thumb safety. I like that. Firearms whose primary interest is historic should be modified as little as possible.

The Tokarev's native round is a hot one.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I was under the impression these were new copies, not surplus. No?

Nice write up and review. I've been thinking of getting one for the price, but they sure are hard to look at.

Ammo is not as cheap or readily availbe as it used to be, but it still out there in good quantities.
Zastava still makes them in Serbia.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Since the 7.62x25 is a submachine gun round, the pistol was an after thought, you should find a companion Pssh to go with it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have two different Zastava M57's and a Zastava M70 (9mm), but none of them have the Glock-like safety on the trigger. It's much less intrusive than a 1911-like safety or one on the slide, like a Beretta I think I'm going to have to get one of these. Very cool.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I've seen some ghastly safety retrofits to surplus Tok's.

The "Glock Dingus" is a GREAT solution.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
35,539 Posts
I had two 9x19mm Norinco Toks. They were reliable, but accuracy wasn't much. I was unimpressed. Also, no way to really safely carry the thing except condition three.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Have a Tokarev a Chinese of 66 Vietnam bring back no import markings.The Vet had it chromed as a war trophy still awesome shooter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts