Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The word on chat back on Aug 5th that the model 605 had been "released". That means that the order is in the system then, needed to be taken from stock, test fired, packaged and shipped. Seems simple, right? I was checking on chat every three days or so to see when a shipping number would be filed. Monday I got a surprise email from Candyce at Taurus that it was shipped and sent the FedEx tracking number. Swung by my tried and true FFL to pick it up. It looks really good...crown is nice, lockup good...trigger fine. Now I really have to get to the range.

IMG_20190925_211341809.jpg

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Congrats on your new addition. I recently purchased one too. Mine's an older one though, before Taurus redesigned their logo a couple times (which works for me because I don't care for the new grips). Super hard trigger pull when the hammer isn't back, at least for a weak girl like me. :p Enjoy your range time. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I understand that certain revolvers aren't drop safe, but I never really understood the mechanical reason for the recall. What made these Rossi wheelguns so dangerous? Would an added transfer safety bar be the fix?

I know where there's a mint R971, 3'' barrel w/ factory comp. After running its numbers(w/ prefix F) through the Rossi search engine, I was given congrats and invited to buy Rossi accessories for it. I'm still on the fence whether to buy it or not.

Although the your new 605 seems to be a fair trade, wasn't the old broken one it replaced shiny? I like shiny cylinders. The matt stainless cylinders tend to show a more pronounced dragline.

I like the 605 grip size & design. Taurus makes some of the best grips for ergonomics.

Enjoy your new arrival. You earned it.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
The word on chat back on Aug 5th that the model 605 had been "released". That means that the order is in the system then, needed to be taken from stock, test fired, packaged and shipped. Seems simple, right? I was checking on chat every three days or so to see when a shipping number would be filed. Monday I got a surprise email from Candyce at Taurus that it was shipped and sent the FedEx tracking number. Swung by my tried and true FFL to pick it up. It looks really good...crown is nice, lockup good...trigger fine. Now I really have to get to the range.
So they sent you this in replacement of your Rossi .357 that was on recall ??

·
Super Moderator
36,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on your new addition. I recently purchased one too. Mine's an older one though, before Taurus redesigned their logo a couple times (which works for me because I don't care for the new grips). Super hard trigger pull when the hammer isn't back, at least for a weak girl like me. :p Enjoy your range time. :)
I finally found my 38 Special snap caps and have been working the action, probably have a couple of hundred trigger pulls already. The trigger was nice out of the box, but it's getting even better. As good or better than the Rossi 462-2 that went in for exchange.

I understand that certain revolvers aren't drop safe, but I never really understood the mechanical reason for the recall. What made these Rossi wheelguns so dangerous? Would an added transfer safety bar be the fix?

I know where there's a mint R971, 3'' barrel w/ factory comp. After running its numbers(w/ prefix F) through the Rossi search engine, I was given congrats and invited to buy Rossi accessories for it. I'm still on the fence whether to buy it or not.

Although the your new 605 seems to be a fair trade, wasn't the old broken one it replaced shiny? I like shiny cylinders. The matt stainless cylinders tend to show a more pronounced dragline.

I like the 605 grip size & design. Taurus makes some of the best grips for ergonomics.

Enjoy your new arrival. You earned it.
The Rossi 462-2 had the FP on the hammer similar to the older S&W. As I understand it, revolvers of that type have a hammer block which prevents that hammer from moving forward if the trigger is not depressed. There was apparently a concern with either the hammer blocks they had in them or the specs of the frame forging. If it were the former...I would think they could have replaced those blacks with a new forged part. Either that wasn't it or the cost of doing so exceeded the cost of just replacing them. Cost wise the 608 can be bought today for about 30 bucks less than I gave for the Rossi new from Grab a Gun. And yes...the Rossi was a beautiful polished stainless and the 608 is a matte finish. I'll probably keep it stock for now...painted the serrated front blade with some bright white acrylic paint in stock...may look at the Hogue grips to replace the "boot" grips that came standard...after I try lighting up some 357 magnums. :rolleyes:

So they sent you this in replacement of your Rossi .357 that was on recall ??
Yep...I sent in an R 462-2 (six shot 357) with maybe 500 rounds through it and received the Taurus 608 in it's place. I am hoping they come through with the proposed 50.00 "gift" to help mitigate the wait, hassle, loss of value and a possible new holster. If they were really smart..which might be a stretch...they would offer a 75.00 credit on Taurus guns, parts, and/or accessories. That would sweeten the offer, many wouldn't not take advantage of it, and they only lose the cost and not direct bottom line dollars.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yep...I sent in an R 462-2 (six shot 357) with maybe 500 rounds through it and received the Taurus 608 in it's place. I am hoping they come through with the proposed 50.00 "gift" to help mitigate the wait, hassle, loss of value and a possible new holster. If they were really smart..which might be a stretch...they would offer a 75.00 credit on Taurus guns, parts, and/or accessories. That would sweeten the offer, many wouldn't not take advantage of it, and they only lose the cost and not direct bottom line dollars.
Did you get your Rossi cheaper than $300.00 ?? This might be the only reason I would send in my Rossi .357 is if I also got the same one you got .

·
Registered
810 Posts
SWEET! - I've had my new 605 replacement snubbie to the range a couple times now and find it to be a VERY nice shooter and surprisingly comfortable with the factory grips. Mine is the matte black, which IS growing on me.

Happy Shooting!

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Did you get your Rossi cheaper than $300.00 ?? This might be the only reason I would send in my Rossi .357 is if I also got the same one you got .
Pretty sure I had 285.00 in on the Rossi. They want to ship the 605 for all replacements that I have heard...they should match the finish of the returned gun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just chatted with Candyce, mine still hasn't even been inspected yet. They've had it since June 17th. I'm glad a few people have got a gun back. Mine seems to be lost somewhere.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Pretty sure I had 285.00 in on the Rossi. They want to ship the 608 for all replacements that I have heard...they should match the finish of the returned gun.
Mine is gloss black and a good looking pistol . Guess I’ll find my letter i got awhile back and re read it . I like the 605 but not crazy bout the 608 .

·
Administrator
17,827 Posts
Really good looking 605. Let us know how it shoots !
+1! I like the Grip Shape on that. Should be fairly entertaining with full house .357 Magnums!
For Carry, I would stick with .38 Spl +P loads.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Good looking replacement, congrats.

·
Registered
151 Posts
While the wait was inordinately long, at least they made you whole... or at least 75-85% in the end. Makes you reconsider future brand loyalty though.

·
Super Moderator
36,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got out to the range this afternoon. Brought the 608, the Beretta 81BB and the Sig P320 (love this gun)

The 605 ran very well. Unfortunately I left the 125 grain 38 Special rounds in the Durango so I only had a box of factory 38 Special +P (125 gr Remington SJHP) and some .357 Magnum reloads. I really wanted to see it handle the lighter rounds and would have fired it longer if I had brought them in. I set the target at 21 feet and shot mostly double action. The trigger is smooth after working it assiduously with snap caps. I don't have a trigger gauge but would guess it's maybe 6 pounds with a clean and consistent break to the rear of the trigger guard. Recoil is manageable if not fun. The grip backstrap was digging in pretty good after just 15 rounds. I probably won't change it to a Hogue as those are designed with the exposed frame at the rear IIRC.

Pretty confident with it as a carry gun already, want to get more work with the lighter reloads.

Taurus 608.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got out to the range this afternoon. Brought the 608, the Beretta 81BB and the Sig P320 (love this gun)

The 608 ran very well. Unfortunately I left the 125 grain 38 Special rounds in the Durango so I only had a box of factory 38 Special +P (125 gr Remington SJHP) and some .357 Magnum reloads. I really wanted to see it handle the lighter rounds and would have fired it longer if I had brought them in. I set the target at 21 feet and shot mostly double action. The trigger is smooth after working it assiduously with snap caps. I don't have a trigger gauge but would guess it's maybe 6 pounds with a clean and consistent break to the rear of the trigger guard. Recoil is manageable if not fun. The grip backstrap was digging in pretty good after just 15 rounds. I probably won't change it to a Hogue as those are designed with the exposed frame at the rear IIRC.

Pretty confident with it as a carry gun already, want to get more work with the lighter reloads.

View attachment 448245

Did you get a 605 or a 608?

·
Super Moderator
36,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bad...Taurus 605....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts