Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
The 'right gun for a woman' is the gun that she likes and shoots best.

Guns don't know the difference between being shot by a man or a woman.

IMHO (or not so humble), more women have been scared off of shooting by the whole 'woman's gun' theory than anything else. Some men seem to think that little guns are good for women and light guns are better, too. I got news for you, little and light guns are a pain in the hand (and other parts of the anatomy) to shoot and they are harder to get good results with.

So why in the world would someone intentionally stick a novice shooter with one on purpose? Seems rather counterproductive to me.

I've been shooting handguns for over 30 years. In that time, I've shot guns chambered from .22Short to .500 S&W and a whole lot of things in between- including some calibers that haven't been commercially loaded for since before WWI. I'm over 6 feet tall, over 200 pounds, I have a decent tolerance (I'm no wimp but I'm not a masochist either) to handgun recoil and I loathe shooting little light weight guns like those traditionally thought of as 'woman's guns' with a fiery passion. I'd shoot a short barreled .44Mag all day before I'd fire 5 .357's from one of those little Airweight J-frames because I'd feel less pain and get better results with the .44.

If I feel that way for the reasons I stated, what do you think the impact would be to a novice being turned loose with one?

The answer is actually quite simple. Let the person that is gonna be doing the shooting pick their equipment. Men have no more business picking out a gun for a woman than they do picking out her shoes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
GREAT Picture! You tell Mrs Mayoral that hog looks like it was a great bar b que in the making!!

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in - since when has "need' EVER played a part in our firearms purchases???:) It's almost gotten to the point in our house that we need His huge gun safe and a Hers huge gun safe! We both "enable" each other!!! Thank goodness the ol' farm is paid off and we don't have a mortgage any more. Gee - in retrospect maybe THAT"s the problem??!!
Thanks for the positive comment MS SEKOL, I was wearing thin on the 'snarky attitude of the new guy who seemed to be sniping at a lot of folks in various threads...I see he is now locked out. But to the point. That Hog, and the other two we took at the end of July are being consummed one dinner at a time. We hope to get the freezer space opened to reload the Bison we are going for in January.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Thanks for the positive comment MS SEKOL, I was wearing thin on the 'snarky attitude of the new guy who seemed to be sniping at a lot of folks in various threads...I see he is now locked out. But to the point. That Hog, and the other two we took at the end of July are being consummed one dinner at a time. We hope to get the freezer space opened to reload the Bison we are going for in January.

WOW - a BISON hunt!! Where does that happen - how does that happen? We're East Coast folks - nothing but white tail deer around here, although there are LOTS of 'em, so the whole feral hog thing is so unusual to me, and now to hear about the bison! Way cool! Mrs Mayoral is going, too I hope! :)

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
609 Posts
I won't hijack this thread to give a lot of details regarding our hunting trips...watch for a PM, or if I can find the email address you sent me, I'll forward some info to you. I did a short report back in August about the hogs...and the Bison is in the same area.

Here is a link to the report I did here a couple of months ago. Since then we confirmed a date for us to return to Missouri for a Bison. I will bring home the hide and head in addition to the roughly 600 lbs of butchered and packaged meat. They cut anf wrap to our specs, and the hogs we had processed last year and this summer are everybit as good a store-pork. We got a sample of Bison meat a while back and it is great.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/lounge/101750-mayor-al-brings-home-bacon-missouri-hog-hunt-2013-a.html

·
32,481 Posts
Each is a case by case basis what the lady, and for some of you I use that term loosely, :rolleyes::) what she likes to shoot and what works for her.

The females in this household like Ruger pistols.:)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now here is a lady who made a wise decision about which gun to carry.

Taken at the Recent Knob Creek Shoot and Show.

Sekol, Is that a future look at you???
:D:D:guns::evil:

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My wife chose a PT709 for her first gun, and now she wants a S&W Lady Smith. She's never shot a 38 or a 357, but she loves the way the gun feels in her hand. I recently took my mom shooting for the first time, and she liked my PPQ .40 better than my P22! So you never know.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Got to say I love my Sig P239 40 S&W as my main carry gun at the moment. I use my P238 .380 as back up regardless of my main carry gun. I love to shoot my PT809 & PT92 as well; they feel different and their weighting is quite different(given their varying components) but they are both fun to shoot. My Canik 55 Shark 9mm is one of the best made, well weighted and most accurate guns I have but it is also just a little fat for on body concealed carry; I have carried it off body on numerous ocassions and same goes for my Sararms K2P 9mm. I began on a Ruger 22 LR Bullshead and progressed to a Ruger LCP .380 but did not like it. I personally prefer a 9mm or a 40 S&W. I love my Llama IXA 45 acp but would never carry her as she is way too picky, but, she keeps me honest at the range. If I even begin to limp wrist her she will FTF and FTE every time. So I use her to help monitor my wrist and kickback control. My partner & I seem to have same 'enabling' issue as Sekol...LOL :D. In our house one can never have too many options for a day at the range or when defense is needed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love my Ruger KLCR 357. Wear when I have my fanny pack and am walking. It is a beautiful weapon that I find to be kick free and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My wife picked out her first gun all on her own: a TCP738 in raspberry. She tried to like it, but never did. Hard for her to use the short sight radius, and she hated the recoil. Her next gun was a 455 Tracker (4-inch). She loves it.

Reactions: ncfarmer and Sekol

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Wait a minute, you mean women can actually think for themselves??? Quelle surprise!

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
I really didn't care for the selection of handguns used in the test.
No way would I put a NAA revolver into an inexperienced shooter's hands.

Instead of the PMR Keltec, something the size of a Ruger SR 22 would have been more desirable.

A J-frame snubnose with tuned hammer and action springs loaded with low recoil rounds would have brought smiles to a lot of women.

Perhaps a tip up barrel .32 auto would have been a good selection.

I would like to see Bersa make a titanium model .380 to shave some weight off, but I think it would have been a good test pistol. I keep a Keltec P3AT in my hip pocket most of the time, but many women have a tendency to limp wrist one.

Perhaps a G-2 sized 9mm would have been a good pistol.

I really see little reason for the test, it was just a smorgasbord of different handguns for the women to shoot, with little real world use as far as concealed carry would be considered.

Were I to be introducing a group of women to the joys of shooting, I would have picked a different set of handguns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a CZ52 that was thrown in to sweeten a trade and once the wife shot it I no longer owned it, she said it's mine. The next time we find some place that has a PT 111 in stock I want her to handle one and see if it will work for her everyday carry piece until I can afford the Sig P938 she want's.

Reactions: 88keys

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I had a CZ52 that was thrown in to sweeten a trade and once the wife shot it I no longer owned it, she said it's mine. The next time we find some place that has a PT 111 in stock I want her to handle one and see if it will work for her everyday carry piece until I can afford the Sig P938 she want's.
I borrowed a PT111 from Mr88keys years ago, and he still hasn't gotten it back.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
The best gun for a woman is the one she likes.

My big girl (a young woman, even though I hate to admit it) likes the SD9VE, and she knows how to rock & roll! ;)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
I have found that usually the bigger the caliber, the heavier the handgun, and the heavier handguns also tend to have less recoil just because of the weight.
I.e. my pt1911 45acp has less recoil (or at least feels like it) then my p95 9mm or my pt140 40cal

at least until you get to the have to be crazy to enjoy shooting it calibers of handgun rounds.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first revolver I shot was my dad's old .38 special. It was a great gun, but didn't feel right to me.
When the MP Shield came out,I of course had to give it a try. My fiance loved it,I hated the darn thing.

Currently, I have two 9mm HK pistols that I intend to use as my carry guns, but my favorite pistol so far is my Taurus .44 magnum.

I enjoy the challenge of harnessing the power of bigger caliber guns, and won't touch any firearm that has the color pink on it.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
The .38 Special is what my wife carries. She shot several different calibers and it is what worked
best for her. She had trouble operating the semiautomatics that she tried and decided that the
revolver was the easiest handgun for her to operate and shoot accurately. My wife now carries
a Ruger LCR. She loves the light weight and the comfortable way it fits in her hand when she
shoots it.

There is no right gun for every shooter. People are different and one gun doesn't fit all. The
beginning shooter should try a variety of firearms if possible and pick the gun that works best
for them if they are going to conceal carry.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts