Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was droping My Daughter off at a friends house where they were getting ready to go to the Prom. And parents were taking pictures. One of the daughters Dad was a LEO and he showed up with his partner and 2 cars with there lights and sirens going they busted in and said everyone drinking to get up against the wall. Well me and another Dad had the same idea and bowed our heads and walked over to the wall everyone laughed. Now the bad part the rookie decided to clear his gun with at least 30 people in the house he had a threat level III holster on and only the girls father the rookie new how to remove the gun. The father kept his firearm in his holster good move the rookie standing behind us pulled his gun and dropped the mag and racked the slide something went wrong because he rushed to the kitchen. I told the girls father what was going on and I thought he was going to have a fit he went into the kitchen and asked the other LEO what on earth he was doing, he was still trying to unjam his gun. I'm the son of a LEO so I'm not bothered by seeing a gun the adults didn't seem to mind either as these guys were LEO and they are supposed to have guns. The kids cared only about the prom. My point is the rookie could have discharged his weapon striking anyone of us. what was he thinking? I never clear a loaded gun in front of people, I'll go into another room and make sure it's pointed in a safeway not aimed at the backs of 30 people. Even LEO make bad judgment calls. I'm sure he ment well as there was a lot of kids there but just didn't think it through. Lesson learned!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
dont understand why did he even remove his gun from the holster?

and his gun jammed when he was clearing it? damn what gun was it?

i dont see a problem if you need to clear a gun just point it to the floor or ceiling/sky depending on where you're at.

i've never had a gun jam or go bang on me while clearing it.. most unusual.

long as you follow rule number 1 (dont point it at anyone) you can at least diminish the chance anyone would get hurt if by some chance the gun really did go off.

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe I was as surprised as you that he would even have taken his gun out period it was safe where it was. I did'nt see exactly what happened as I turned to see what was going on when I heard the slide rack He might have left the mag in I assumed he droped it because thats what you normally do. And I was not going to insert myself in a bad situation. I figured that was his partners job. I believe the gun was a Glock and he had it pointed up in the air when he ran to the kitichen. I had a friend shoot himself in the leg racking one back into the chamber, he was sitting on the edge of his bed and shoot himself on the inside of his calf with a PT92 with fed. Hydrashock, They do there job well cause he's messed up for life. The bullet went all the way down and out the other side of his ankle. Back to the original post I think it was a bad idea to take the gun out of his holster with that many people in the room.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ya i agree i dont even see why he drew his gun that was just silly.. you dont toy around with a loaded gun in a crowded room like that.

i'd definitely had busted his chops on that one.

i bet you're right be probably did'nt drop the mag. i've heard of people doing this.. eject a round and think it's unloaded.. or eject a round then drop the mag and not realize that it's still loaded.

or worse yet people who take the mag out and think it's unloaded.

as for your buddy who shot his leg with the 92. exactly what happen? im assuming there had to be a malf with the gun or he accidently hit the trigger or something.. i mean they have a firing pin block and all that.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Darn Rookies....they need to pay more attention during firearms training in the Academy. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was showing his 13 year old son how to break it down and clean it . It was his house gun and was loaded .So when he went to rack a live round into the chamber he was sitting on the end of the bed with the gun aimed at his left knee he also had his finger on the trigger so as soon as he racked it boom it entered just below his knee and traveled dowm the bone breaking it and came out the other side. If his son hadn't been trained in CPR and first aid he would have died. we call him Lucky

·
Registered
497 Posts
If this was supposed to be funny, his firearm should never have been taken from it's holster.

THEY ARE NOT FRIGGING TOYS!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
45 Forever said:
I'm sure he ment well as there was a lot of kids there but just didn't think it through.
It is hard to imagine what was going through his head, but I'll bet at the time he thought it was a good idea. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was not funny then as its not funny now as I tell it to everyone here. my point is as humans we are capable of doing stupid S&%t and seeing an officer doing it drives the point even more.
Same as my buddy that shot himself!

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I've personally racked the slide on a semi-auto and then asked myself "geez, what did you just do...?" - I then had a gun in single-action with the hammer back, and no decocker. I absolutely hate holding the hammer and letting it down slowly, too many bad things could happen. But I was alone, and had the gun pointed in a safe direction. But it does happen.

·
Super Moderator
21,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The LEO was a young rookie when his senior partner found out he was less than happy. this was a house full of people and he was a mere couple of feet away when he started clearing his weapon i was taking picuresofthe kids going to the prom when I heard the distictive noise of a gun racking. And then seeing an officer was holding his gun up with the slide jamed. I did no if there was an emergency or what so I told the senior officer who was already reacting to the Rookie run to the kitchen. It worked out ok but could have been a dissaster! A hell of a way to remember prom night an accidental shooting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts