Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know...for many decades a revolver was referred to as a "six-shooter", even tho some revolvers only held 5 rounds. Then with the advent of the flotilla of semi-auto pistols(plastic and otherwise), many folks boo-woo'ed the revolver as antiquated, outdated, and well past its time of usefulness.

Well, I think Taurus has done as much to keep revolvers relevant as any manufacturer in business today. I have some nice firearms including a few nickel S&Ws I purchased long ago(Models 36, 10, 19, 27). But when I rejuvenated my gun hobby approx 1.5 years ago I found myself looking more and more at some interesting Taurus firearms. Since then I have acquired a few used Taurus revolvers thru trades and such...and heaven forbid, even a PT1911 & PT140.

Hope you don't mind if I share what revolvers I've acquired since then, as there's not a classic six-shooter among them. Add in a couple speedloaders and I think the revolver has a place in our modern times...and they're not subject to :icon_ nana: Feinstein's high-magazine capacity/assault weapon bans!

Mdl 66 7-shot 12" Silhouette with Simmons scope / 617 7-shot with Crimson Trace / Taurus Judge Magnum 5-shot Taurus 608 8-shot(just acquired this week)

·
Super Moderator
21,900 Posts
I own many auto's and love them but my revolvers are right up there with them. Sure I don't have the 16 round mags to slap into place but I do have speed loaders and speed strips that get the job done. And Ill take a .357 over my wonder 9 any day. IMO they just shoot well and I don't have to worry about limp wristing one like I do with a Auto. Plus what gets hit with a .357 stays hit and they know it.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I just became a gun owner about 2 years ago and started with semi-autos and I happy with those guns. Now I just wish I could afford to add a couple of nice revolvers to the mix. I really like that 608 you have there. That or the model 66 4 inch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just became a gun owner about 2 years ago and started with semi-autos and I happy with those guns. Now I just wish I could afford to add a couple of nice revolvers to the mix. I really like that 608 you have there. That or the model 66 4 inch.
You won't be sorry with the 66. It was my first revolver and I LOVE it. Goes bang every time. Trigger is nice. And it is accurate with the 4" barrel. <$400 too!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
You won't be sorry with the 66. It was my first revolver and I LOVE it. Goes bang every time. Trigger is nice. And it is accurate with the 4" barrel. <$400 too!
I don't need to say anything about the Model 66 I have, you have said it all for me. It is the best
handgun investment I ever made.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Really like that 66 and with that barrel who needs a Rifle!!

Reactions: djw479

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I few friends and I jokingly call that 12" .357 an pre-semi assault-pistol. You could use it up close&personal, and also out to 75+ yards...the heavier the bullet grams the better.

But actually, those old lever-action short-barreled carbines of the Old West were the original assault weapons!

Really like that 66 and with that barrel who needs a Rifle!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like my next weapon is going to be a wheel gun also. I made up my mind today and it's going to be a Taurus Raging Bull SS 2.25" 44 magnum! I ruled out everything else.

.........................bobby

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Nice collection. Another oft neglected fact about revolvers is that it's easier to collect your brass.
And with my revolvers I don't ever end up with hot brass down the front of my shirt! I've gotten some nasty, nasty burns that way and flashed folks at the range trying to get rid of the brass!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Looks like my next weapon is going to be a wheel gun also. I made up my mind today and it's going to be a Taurus Raging Bull SS 2.25" 44 magnum! I ruled out everything else.

.........................bobby
Great choice! I recently acquired a Raging Bull in .44 Magnum (albeit with the 6" tube) and it's been a hoot to shoot. Just have to get my hands on some more ammo to feed it. I'm sure you'll love yours too when you get it, everytime I squeeze the trigger on mine or my Raging Bull .480 a big smile creeps across my face.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
A revolver will probably always be my go-to weapon for SD outside the house. Don't get me wrong, I love my autos too; but I primarily carry them as backup and/or in specific situations where the revolver is not an option.

A revolver always goes bang, and if it doesn't because of a faulty round, another trigger pull simply moves the cylinder to a new round.

Even the finest autos on the planet have had instances of going click instead of bang, or trying to eat empty shell casings (stovepipe); and frankly, in a legitimate, dire emergency, that's no time to find out how well you TRB... if your confrontation involves another armed individual when that happens, that'll probably be the last time you get to practice TRB.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great choice! I recently acquired a Raging Bull in .44 Magnum (albeit with the 6" tube) and it's been a hoot to shoot. Just have to get my hands on some more ammo to feed it. I'm sure you'll love yours too when you get it, everytime I squeeze the trigger on mine or my Raging Bull .480 a big smile creeps across my face.

Thank you sir!!!!

.............................Twin

Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
30 Posts
I seem to prefer the weight of the all steel gun too. When I hold my SS M85, and compare it to any other poly-framed gun, I just like it better. I reason that if I needed to pistol whip someone with it in a fight it will do a much better job than a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I seem to prefer the weight of the all steel gun too. When I hold my SS M85, and compare it to any other poly-framed gun, I just like it better. I reason that if I needed to pistol whip someone with it in a fight it will do a much better job than a piece of plastic.
If you're in a fight while armed with loaded handguns, and have to pistol whip someone, you're doing it wrong. ;)

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Nice collection!

I have always liked a good revolver!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts