Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking hard at the 740 slim, but i have been seeing quite a bit of negative feedback on it. I'm going to buy an easily concealable 40 caliber pistol after my taxes come back. I love the size, look and feel of this gun. I think i can grab one for just over 300.00. Is there a better option for the price ? I can spend a little more , but i just want value. Any opinions ?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Here's a bit of 100% positive feedback on the PT740 Slim.

I recently traded mine to a friend for his new M66 .357 Mag revolver; however, I owned and carried the 740 for over a year and a half, and I shot a magazine of rounds through it every two weeks to break it in and to insure that the little pistol would fire on demand 100% of the time. It never even hiccupped.

The Slim series pistols are lightweight and the slim design makes them the excellent choice for concealed carry.

$300.00 would be a super price! I've not seen any priced that low in the area where I live.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine's been flawless. around 1000 rounds have gone through it without a hiccup. Clean it good out of the box, and you'll have to adjust the sights but give it a try. I carry mine in an ankle holster all the time now and trust it completely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looking hard at the 740 slim, but i have been seeing quite a bit of negative feedback on it. I'm going to buy an easily concealable 40 caliber pistol after my taxes come back. I love the size, look and feel of this gun. I think i can grab one for just over 300.00. Is there a better option for the price ? I can spend a little more , but i just want value. Any opinions ?
My guess would be that there isn't a SINGLE handgun or manufacturer where you won't find bad feedback from. Alot unfortunately come from fanboys of whatever manufacturer and or uninformed people , or even yet people who purchase a weapon from whoever for the first time , have either a real problem or uninformed user error then go all over bashing it on forums/review sections.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
My guess would be that there isn't a SINGLE handgun or manufacturer where you won't find bad feedback from. Alot unfortunately come from fanboys of whatever manufacturer and or uninformed people , or even yet people who purchase a weapon from whoever for the first time , have either a real problem or uninformed user error then go all over bashing it on forums/review sections.
Based on what I have seen on other Forums, I would say uninformed user errors are the most common issue, mostly not properly cleaning the weapon before shooting it the first time. Then they whine about malfunctions and what a piece of junk it is, blah, blah, blah.

Sent using TapaTalk HD

Reactions: CB236

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Nothing but lust and love for my 740. Nary a burp or hiccup with about 500 rds. FMJ and JHP SD. Great CCW.

Reactions: Camo and MilProGuy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say you can google "Problems with (insert any brand firearm here)" and you will find lots of negative info about any firearm from any company And I have seen many on other forums. Thousands of these weapons are sold every year and not thousands of problems. I have 2 Taurus semi-auto pistols. One around a year now the other just a few weeks and no problems. I dont believe luck has anything to do with it ,Taurus makes solid weapons. But they are mechanical devices made by imperfect men and have flaws from time to time. You hear about the bad ones more because people who think they have been wronged are the ones that complain the loudest and the one with no problems shoots their weapons and go about their lifes. I love my 709 I would say its sister the 740 is a fine weapon.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like mine quite a lot, though if I hadn't got the great deal I did, and I was buying now, I'd be sorely tempted to pay a little bit more for a S&W Shield.
That said, I don't regret the 740, it carries and shoots great, and the trigger is amazing for what it is.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Have the 709 and would (and do) trust my life with it.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My 740 was pretty "ugh" feeling when I first bought it. Then I CLEANED IT. I mean really CLEANED IT GOOD. I spent an hour with the cleaning kit, toothpicks, q-tips, etc etc. Took the Striker out etc. lubed it up well and .... Then it was "magically transformed" into a gun that has smooth action and a decent trigger. (all plastic guns with strikers are IMHO inferior to a SA design like the 1911 ;)).

My assumption is that the bulk of people with issues don't thoroughly clean and lube the weapon. Sure, some ARE duds, but it's probably a tiny fraction. Just my point of view...

·
Registered
35 Posts
You won't be seeing a lot of negative feedback in the taurus 700 forum, LOL. Probably 99 percent of the guys on here love there guns, some have had issues, both with the gun and with the user, but they get them worked out and are happy as a lark afterward. The only other recommendation from here would be the Millenium Pro in the same price range, it's a bit fatter but holds more rounds.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I can't think of a better value than a $300 --709/740 if its new, even used in good condition its a good price.
Now i suggest that if you are looking for a gun that you try to shoot all the ones that you are considering buying.
how a gun looks or what it weighs or how long it is , well thats only a part of the equation.
I personally carry a beretta PX4 SC, its shorter, its not as tall, as the 709/740.
It is wider because it carries twice as much capacity, has ambi safety, its also in my hands way more accurate than the 709/740, this being said those do not fit my hand well at all.
but the beretta is going to run over 5 bills as well.
the good news is that all kinds of holsters , sights, adjustable sights, magazines and other accessories are readily vailable for the weapon.
but again this gun may not fit you, it comes with various size backstraps though so theres not many hands that it won't fit.
the gun is very ergonomic and as fo recoil there is no comaprison, the beretta wins by a mile, but agin it ain't 300 bucks either.
having owned and shot several 709/740's really never had or heard of any one complaining about the gun as far as malfunctions personally.
Some can't hit a bull in the butt with them but they seem to work pretty darned well.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have personal experience with the 709 and the 740. Both are excellent weapons. Accurate. Dependable. Good to go with any ammo, WWB to upper end brands. If you can get one for $30o, run—don't walk—to the nearest ATM and put the cash on the barrel head.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I recently purchased my 740, took it to the range without cleaning it first, it doesnt say anywhere in the manual to do so, although Im sure its a good idea. Regardless, I fired 80 rounds of 2 different manufacturers of ammo. It performed flawlessly,it was fun to shoot, Im very happy with it. I was looking for a 9mm but the 299.00 price tag was too good to pass on. I believe "you get what you pay for" for the most part but every now and then you get a gem for a reasonable price. Im new to semi auto pistols, I broke this one down, cleaned it thoroughly even swithed the mag release from right to left. I like this gun!

Good luck in your decision

·
Registered
813 Posts
I own a Sigma .40 cal. You want to know something about the internet experts trashing a gun? I love the gun, but it is a little snappy compared to a 9mm. That's why I went with the 709. Both are excellent calibers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bought my 740SS for 429 at Basspro. 300 is a great deal. Cleaned it before shooting and first time out put 80 rds downrange without any trouble. A little snappy but a good grip helps. 15 rds to adjust sights and the rest went through a ragged 3-4in hole in the red at 7 yds. Love mine so far! It replaced a troublesome P3AT and I hardly notice the size difference IWB. Buy it!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There are certain things that people are actually supposed to know about guns. One is that an oily gun, when new, will need to be cleaned before firing. I bought a CZ40P, and the thing was dripping grease and preservative. CZ doesn't mention cleaning before initial firing, either, but I would have worn a quart of preservative had I decided that, because it wasn't in the manual, it didn't need to be done.

If you are interested in the 740, try one out at a range. I have a 709, and it conceals well, and is nicely shootable in my hands, which are size XL. You have to like the gun to shoot it well. If it is uncomfortable, it is a waste of time buying it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Add me to the list of satisfied 740SS owners. I also own a a 709SS which I did have to return 3 times for FTF but Taurus made it right... on their dime. Both have been EDC weapons, so I do trust my life with them. They will remain on my hip, well until I get enough rounds through my PT145.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts