Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about this pistol today, and I found it by mistake. I've always wanted a 4" railed 92 series gun, but the only way to get one was by hacking two guns together, or at least I thought so. The 909 is nice an all, but I want a true open slide 92 with a practical barrel length.

So my questions.

-WHY IN THE HELL DOESN'T TAURUS ADVERTISE THESE? :mad:
-To the people who own them, how's the reliability?
-Do standard 92 grips work on them?
-How long have these been on the market?

I can't stress enough how disappointed I am Taurus hasn't marketed this pistol. If you ask me, it could be one of their best sellers if they'd put it out there. Taurus is really dropping the ball by not pushing these if you ask me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have one (see my avatar) and love it. Very accurate, smooth-running handgun. It's my primary home defense gun, equipped with a rail-mounted laser.

Don't know about the 92 grips, but they look pretty close.

I think I was one of the first to get one, about 6 months ago. They certainly haven't been out more than a year.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There was a bunch of hype early this summer when they came out, I first handled one back around march or so. I'd like one, but I want mine blued.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Standard PT92 Grips as well as Magazines will work.

Taurus promotion is kind of spotty. They seem to have spent more effort of late on the 24/7 series and now "The Judge" .45LC/.410 Revolver.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
So PT917 uses the same magazines as PT92? Can it take Beretta 92fs mags?
Unfortunately, not directly! The Magazine Latch cutout location is different. Modification will be too labor intensive (feel like welding?) and you will be money ahead by just going with regular PT92 magazines!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
^so it does use PT92/PT99 mags?

I know Buds has have in stock and I was thinking of importing one (to Canada) but since it comes with 17round mags he won't sell it to me and even after I asked to replace the magazines with 10 rounders :(

do people on California or New York have the same problem?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guy who owns it bought it like that. But I'm guessing PT917 does use the same frame as PT92/99. Kinda like Beretta Centurion is a compact slide on a full size frame...

btw on the Brazilian Taurus website they show PT917 w/o a rail...

·
32,658 Posts
The PT 917 is prominent in the Police Pistols section at their Brazilian site. What they offer the public is a bit different. Might be possible buy a one of those anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked a "917 C" model up today. Never heard of it before but it looks neat. Has a couple of dings on it but does not look like it was shot much. The finish on the 19rd mag is also gone. No biggy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
iwas just logging on to ask others if they have experienced one, if i understand it correctly it can have a 20rd mag. i saw them on bud's, first time i heard of it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gents that's what this forum is for, I by no means keep up with all this, but we got them that do, bet there is a post on this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts