1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Don't know why any domestic ammunition manufacturer would think that shipping them over there is any more lucrative than selling them to the drought ridden shooters in our own country. That is unless the gov't mandated it OR that they're getting a "substantial" markup for selling overseas vs. what they could get here. I'm betting it's the $$$$ that they're chasing.

·
Premium Member
7,378 Posts
Don't know why any domestic ammunition manufacturer would think that shipping them over there is any more lucrative than selling them to the drought ridden shooters in our own country. That is unless the gov't mandated it OR that they're getting a "substantial" markup for selling overseas vs. what they could get here. I'm betting it's the $$$$ that they're chasing.
Oh, yeah. I'm guessing they're gouging the Ukrainians. I heard today that Ukraine is open for Americans and others to come fight on contract. I wonder what the going rate is. It's not my bag, but I'm sure there are many American who would go over for a chance to fight and provide for their family. Everything I've read about the AVG Flying Tigers during WWII seems to indicate they did not receive the bonuses promised by the Chinese. Make sure you get your money up front.

·
Registered
32,711 Posts
I guess I have a different take on this, I think anyway anyone, can help Ukraine is the humanitarian thing to do.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Besides all the tired, old Conspiracy Theories, and "they're out to get us"/paranoia thinking, there are still some manufacturers with good moral sense. America has almost always been a "Pro Underdog" country so shipping supplies to a small country being attacked by a huge country's military force is just part of The American Way, and believe it or not, is still common and acceptable today. Regardless of one's religion, politics, or where you stand (or think who is out to get you), not every manufacturer is out to screw you and not everything is about money...

·
Registered
146 Posts
The point I was making is we American shooters have a hard time getting reloading supplies and when we can, we pay through the ass yet, miraculously, millions of rounds are all of a sudden being shipped to the Ukraine. I'm not saying don't help the underdog but, don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
There are a few primer manufacturers in Europe. Fiocchi comes to mind. I've had some from others. Can't remember the names now. Far easier to get them local than to wait for overseas shipment.

Sadly, the combat videos I've seen from Ukraine, SEEM to involve a lot of "spray and pray" type shooting and firing at targets WAY out of range of what 7.62x39 or 5.45X39 are really capable of.

Two million rounds probably isn't even a weeks run for some of the bigger manufacturers.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Besides all the tired, old Conspiracy Theories, and "they're out to get us"/paranoia thinking, there are still some manufacturers with good moral sense. America has almost always been a "Pro Underdog" country so shipping supplies to a small country being attacked by a huge country's military force is just part of The American Way, and believe it or not, is still common and acceptable today. Regardless of one's religion, politics, or where you stand (or think who is out to get you), not every manufacturer is out to screw you and not everything is about money...
I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's almost less expensive to buy readily available ammo than it is to reload these days. I calculated what it costs, using today's prices, to reload a box of 50, 9mm cartridges vs. brand new ammo. Figuring that primers & gun powder are available (which are not always) I came up with ~ $14 for a box of 50 vs. new ammo for ~ $17. When you factor in you're recycling your own brass AND adding a bunch of time & labor, it's almost a better deal to buy new.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Adventure outdoors in Atlanta ,ga as of this morning wants $110.00 per 1thousand for cci small rifle primers.
couple of months back they were $80.00------------i think what Pt DOUDE said is the industry plan --jack the cost up ,and get them used to it l -----iike gas -----its the new normal

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
And you're only referring to "primers" here. What about gun powder? Between those 2, they have us dancing like michael jackson.

·
Registered
32,711 Posts
It's almost less expensive to buy readily available ammo than it is to reload these days. I calculated what it costs, using today's prices, to reload a box of 50, 9mm cartridges vs. brand new ammo. Figuring that primers & gun powder are available (which are not always) I came up with ~ $14 for a box of 50 vs. new ammo for ~ $17. When you factor in you're recycling your own brass AND adding a bunch of time & labor, it's almost a better deal to buy new.
9mm has pretty much always been that way. In about 2002, Academy sold the 9mm Blazer aluminum cased ammo for $2.99 a box, which if you aren't reloading anyhow, that was fine.

Back when, I used to reload shotgun shells, both 12 and 20's, did a lot of trap and skeet as well as a lot of wing hunting. I came out real good on magnum and heavy loads, but come dove and quail season, it was just as cheap to buy factory rounds.

I haven't reloaded in years, but still have a keen eye to find bargains on completed ammo, which I need to either shoot or sell off. I can't take it with me in the after life.

I have a 1911 deluxe set up I'm thinking of giving my youngest son, along with 500 rounds of .45 acp for his birthday, but since his mom is getting him a keyboard, I guess I'll hang on to it another year!

·
Registered
122 Posts
BINGO!!! This is what I believe and I have no proof But I have been spot on about the way things have been going, so there’s that.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,045 Posts
I have always reloaded 9mm. My thought process was, everything I learn on something I could throw away, really pays off on those rounds that are too expensive to buy.
hm 2¢

·
Registered
751 Posts
Only 2 ways to make $. Price and volume....I'm thinking they are managing to keep price high because demand is like toilet paper during Wuhan Flu.

I'm betting they are at good volume, probably over pre Wuhan Primer Production. I don't know how many primer manufacturers there are but surely more than 3 I can list. Do you think all agreed to limit production to keep prices up? That would be like OPEC, the FTC doesn't like that. Now if you want the conspiracy to be that the current admin is anti ammunition.....

Pretty hard to keep that secret. Biden would go off script and say he was buying all the primers and his media lady would have to explain....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts