Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Plan: break in a few never fired pistols today at the range. However the plan was a fail. Just couldn't bring myself to clean them up just to get them dirty.

I did have one great day overall. Meant my son at the range to do a little plinking and plan a few games of "target battleship". And he wanted to zero in a new red dot sight on his over optioned, over valued GLOCK. FWIW, I did give his new red dot sight a go. It's accurate kind of like shooting an arcade pistol sight, but then I have never been into arcade games.

I had only taken 2 pistols, one was my newly purchased Beretta PX4 subcompact, our first outing did not go well. This was the second range trip with it and I was determined to find the proper hold and point of aim. Heck at one point I asked my son to have a go with it, as I just couldn't get past that "low and left" haunting of a PT-92 learning experience. He quickly placed 10 round through a quarter sized hole...I cursed under my breath. But, I guess that was the motivation that I needed to keep working with it. I finally got to the point to where I was getting better groupings though not as tight as he did.

All in all, it was a great time. Totally lost track of time and how much ammunition we had gone though. It wasn't until the range officer came in with an individual to do his CHL range qualification and made a comment about all the brass covering the floor. His comment was something along the line of there being two kinds of people who come to the range to shoot. Those who come in and shoot a box of ammunition all on one target to brush up their skill. And those who come in to shoot because they enjoy the sport while keeping up and continuing to hone their skill and abilities with a firearm.

Soon after this we took a look at the time and figured two hours and 900+ rounds was enough to call it a day. Swept up our brass and headed home after a quick father/son hug.

Hope your day went as well as ours!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Excellent! I went out as well yesterday but it was a solo trip. Brought my new never been fired Charter Arms Bulldog 74530. She's a 45 Colt snubby. I loaded up some MBC 250 gr bullets and brought my chrono and tested 6 powders. This is a great revolver with minimal recoil. Nice day and beautiful Nevada weather!

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
well I am heading out later this morning to shoot some of my well broken in weapons!
the Beretta PX4 Sc that I have had for a while now runs smooth and fairly accurate.
I have for some time been carrying a CZ P-01 as it fits me better so is more accurate.
but all and all I carried the lil SC for a while and it served well, the darned slide mounted ambi safety is the biggest dislike I have with the gun.

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Sounds like an excellent day ! If you're ever in the Dallas area, we'll have to get a group of us to go shooting.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I am heading out later this morning to shoot some of my well broken in weapons!
the Beretta PX4 Sc that I have had for a while now runs smooth and fairly accurate.
I have for some time been carrying a CZ P-01 as it fits me better so is more accurate.
but all and all I carried the lil SC for a while and it served well, the darned slide mounted ambi safety is the biggest dislike I have with the gun.
Those are some excellent groups compared to where I started...and finished for that matter. I suffer from low and left with the SC. What I have found out is that if I twist my grip (including the pistol) about 15 degrees I am pretty accurate with it.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like an excellent day ! If you're ever in the Dallas area, we'll have to get a group of us to go shooting.
Where do you shoot? I usually go to the Bullseye gun range in Duncanville. Nothing fancy, but it works well for an indoor range. LJ has gone to the fancy range up in Plano and there is another one over in Ft. Worth that he likes, but he is more in to rifle shooting and like those longer lanes.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Your target scores remind me of old fashioned prescription writing!

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I can’t say that I own any unfired firearms. That’s usually taken care of as soon as I get home with one.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Where do you shoot? I usually go to the Bullseye gun range in Duncanville. Nothing fancy, but it works well for an indoor range. LJ has gone to the fancy range up in Plano and there is another one over in Ft. Worth that he likes, but he is more in to rifle shooting and like those longer lanes.
I'll have to make a day trip to Duncanville sometime, we could go shoot there. I live close to Bullet Trap and Frisco Gun Club, in fact very close to FGC but I don't like the way they run that place so I typically go to Plano or to Eagle Gun Club in Lewisville.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
Those are some excellent groups compared to where I started...and finished for that matter. I suffer from low and left with the SC. What I have found out is that if I twist my grip (including the pistol) about 15 degrees I am pretty accurate with it.

haven't shot the SC in quite a while so doubt if I could punch the paper that well cold out of the safe!
the CZ and Tanfoglio are ruining me with other weapons!
don't remember a single issue with the PX4 however, very reliable lil ugly gun.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I can’t say that I own any unfired firearms. That’s usually taken care of as soon as I get home with one.
I'm the same way. I think I have had only one that I didn't shoot the same day I got it and that was because it was pitch dark when I got home. I took care of it the next morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts