Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
P1030044.jpg
This little PPK look a like came from Classic Firearms as a surplus. I also ordered a second magazine, for a cost of about $270 after shipping and transfer. This model is chambered in 9X18 Makarov,
P1030063.jpg
This Mak weighs in at 28.2 oz's with a full magazine. It is 6&1/4 inches long & 5 inches high. The slide is 1 inch wide and the rubber grip is 1 & 1/3 inch wide. The gun came from Classic dry, no lube anywhere, and no cosmoline...yippee!!! So a quick strip, clean and lube and this little Russian is ready for duty.
P1030065.jpg
Initially I had multiple kinds of feed issues with the original mag and fail to lock back occasionally. The feed lips had been spread too wide and slightly bent out of parallel. So I spent some time using the oval cutout on my bench block to lightly press the feed lips back into the correct geometry and those problems were resolved.
P1030068.jpg
The finish on the frame and slide is in good condition as stated by Classic. Very little wear , and no scratches or dings. I did replace the plastic target grip with a rubber grip which did help mitigate the somewhat snappy recoil. Once the magazine issue was resolved it has run over 200 rounds of S&B and Fiocchi 95 grain brass range ammo with no failures. There is a slide mounted safety/decocker. The DA trigger pull comes in at 11.4 lbs with a 1 inch long somewhat gritty travel until a hard wall. The SA trigger pull measures 4 lbs with a short 1/4 inch reset to a crisp wall. Running the pistol is a pleasure and it shoots to POA.
P1030069.jpg
I did put a dab of white nail polish on the front sight blade to help these old eyes. This sticky was shot at 15 yards. The Makarov is an excellent pistol, it feels perfect in my hands and shoots accurately. The slide stop/release works like a dream. There are no rough edges to contend with either. The Bulgarian version of the venerable Makarov seems to be a great representation of Nickolay's design. Thanks for taking a few minutes to read the review.

·
Super Moderator
37,263 Posts
Nice report and pistol. I have been attracted to them, but really don't want another caliber. If I found one chambered in 9mm Luger I might be a buyer. Just researched and not such a good idea, but .380 Auto is a good possibility.

·
32,719 Posts
View attachment 416975
This little PPK look a like came from Classic Firearms as a surplus. I also ordered a second magazine, for a cost of about $270 after shipping and transfer. This model is chambered in 9X18 Makarov,
View attachment 416977
This Mak weighs in at 28.2 oz's with a full magazine. It is 6&1/4 inches long & 5 inches high. The slide is 1 inch wide and the rubber grip is 1 & 1/3 inch wide. The gun came from Classic dry, no lube anywhere, and no cosmoline...yippee!!! So a quick strip, clean and lube and this little Russian is ready for duty.
View attachment 416983
Initially I had multiple kinds of feed issues with the original mag and fail to lock back occasionally. The feed lips had been spread too wide and slightly bent out of parallel. So I spent some time using the oval cutout on my bench block to lightly press the feed lips back into the correct geometry and those problems were resolved.
View attachment 416987
The finish on the frame and slide is in good condition as stated by Classic. Very little wear , and no scratches or dings. I did replace the plastic target grip with a rubber grip which did help mitigate the somewhat snappy recoil. Once the magazine issue was resolved it has run over 200 rounds of S&B and Fiocchi 95 grain brass range ammo with no failures. There is a slide mounted safety/decocker. The DA trigger pull comes in at 11.4 lbs with a 1 inch long somewhat gritty travel until a hard wall. The SA trigger pull measures 4 lbs with a short 1/4 inch reset to a crisp wall. Running the pistol is a pleasure and it shoots to POA.
View attachment 416989
I did put a dab of white nail polish on the front sight blade to help these old eyes. This sticky was shot at 15 yards. The Makarov is an excellent pistol, it feels perfect in my hands and shoots accurately. The slide stop/release works like a dream. There are no rough edges to contend with either. The Bulgarian version of the venerable Makarov seems to be a great representation of Nickolay's design. Thanks for taking a few minutes to read the review.
Excellent report and pistola you have there.

I've got a Bulgarian model myself. The only change made was putting a pair of rubber grips on that puppy back 6 or 7 years ago.

Yours looks like a winner.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You beat me to it, I just picked one up this weekend.

Great review, these are a nice slice of history. Range day tomorrow. Now it's got me wanting the Polish p64 I think it is.

A lot of gun, for very little money. If anyone is looking for a fun little range gun, these Mak's and the Star BM9's are awesome. Good starter guns too, or those with smaller hands.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Very nice.

I'm very fond of the Walther PP Series and it's derivatives. I still kick myself to this day for failing to pick up a pristine FEG PA-63 for $150 a couple years ago.

That being said, if I were going to buy a Makarov PM, then I would seek out the Baikal IJ-73 in .380 ACP, simply because .380 ACP is more widely available that 9x18 Makarov and .380 ACP +P loads are equal to 9x18 anyway, which the Baikal IJ-73 could easily handle since it's just a Makarov PM chambered for .380 ACP.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
A Bulgarian Makarov was my first semiauto carry pistol ... At the time I really couldn't afford much more ... Later I replaced it with a Ruger P93 9X19 as my primary.. But I still caught myself carrying the Mak. .. I ending up trading it for somthing or another ...Dang great pistols !!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
It would be nice to see one in poly frame.... Great little pistols. Used to have an East German model back in the day. Tons of fun and easy to take down. Liked the fixed barrel.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Reactions: silverstring

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I have a High Standard magazine adjustment tool that I find handy for all magazines. No doubt fairly easy to make one id need be. But they are sold on eBay/Amazon.

Not quite like my original but it works...

51SzabosQOL._SX522_.jpg

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Very nice.

I'm very fond of the Walther PP Series and it's derivatives. I still kick myself to this day for failing to pick up a pristine FEG PA-63 for $150 a couple years ago.

That being said, if I were going to buy a Makarov PM, then I would seek out the Baikal IJ-73 in .380 ACP, simply because .380 ACP is more widely available that 9x18 Makarov and .380 ACP +P loads are equal to 9x18 anyway, which the Baikal IJ-73 could easily handle since it's just a Makarov PM chambered for .380 ACP.
You should have grabbed one. I love mine!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Nice new pistol!

I have had my eye on one for a while.

·
22,981 Posts
I wish my Mak had a trigger like you describe, Silverstring. If the DA pull on mine were sandpaper, they'd have to use a negative number for the grit. The SA is adequate. Other than that, though, it's a great pistol!

I've wondered about those rubber grips for a while. Maybe I'll pick one up.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
You should have grabbed one. I love mine!
Yeah, I know, and I would have too, but I had recently had a falling out with the owner of my LGS after he had been really rude to family members I had referred to him, so I didn't want to give him the business. In hindsight, it was foolish, especially considering that at that price I was only hurting myself. :(

Oh well, I learned a valuable lesson from the experience, namely never to pass up a deal that good.

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
As to triggers, my Radom P64 had an awful DA, unusable. And, I'm a good DA shooter. I installed a Wolf spring kit, now the DA is usable, but the SA is even lighter (was light to begin with) and the DA/SA transition is a little tough. I often get an undesired double tap. :lol: The thing points so well, though, I have carried it from time to time and it is very accurate and shoots to POA. One thing on these eastern block guns, I don't know if paint will help the front sight all that much. These things have tiny sights.

As for ammo, I just carry Silver Bear hollow points. I get 'em from www.ammotogo.com . Practice ammo is available at Academy for 10 bucks a box, Monarch FMJ. I have dies and brass is made from 9x19 fire formed after sizing, but the little gun launches empties into low earth orbit, so I haven't messed with reloading it that much. I have a mold for a RN 105 grain, IIRC, and they're accurate out of the Radom.

Attachments

·
22,981 Posts
NT, that is one cool little pistol. Fixed barrel blowbacks are good guns; reliable, and accurate - as your target shows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts