Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really. As many know I've been contemplating acquiring a lever gun in 45-70 and continue to wrestle with a Marlin or Henry. Brawn and history versus a newer design with only a historic name and glitzy exterior. That aside, I was watching a Marlin 1895 on Gunbroker, stated to be NIB and a JM barrel which would mean this gun has been on the shelf for years. The bid price was 900.00 which I thought was about 125.00 +/- high but considering the current market and availability wasn't too bad. I figured that it would have be be sold by midnight and watched it until almost the end of the post. I was surprised that it was re-listed when I checked this morning.

Bottom line is that I still await new production of either the Henry side gate or marlin and good availability. The Henry side gate is commanding a premium since it's such a new design so it will most likely be the Marlin, although I would like a magazine with a capacity of more than 4 +1. The Model 70480 might be the one to focus on, but would prefer a barrel less than 26" in length.

·
8,779 Posts
Lever gun inventory is taking a big hit these last 6 months. Last June there were almost 100 on GB, now pickings are slim. Not sure why, covid etc...I know Rossi is kind of a bad name right now, with so many bad CS stories, including mine. But I still wanna pickup a short version in 357 to match my 44 Rossi.

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still wish that I bought the Marlin in 357 instead of the rossi.

Reactions: jwc007 and william

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Well, not really. As many know I've been contemplating acquiring a lever gun in 45-70 and continue to wrestle with a Marlin or Henry. Brawn and history versus a newer design with only a historic name and glitzy exterior. That aside, I was watching a Marlin 1895 on Gunbroker, stated to be NIB and a JM barrel which would mean this gun has been on the shelf for years. The bid price was 900.00 which I thought was about 125.00 +/- high but considering the current market and availability wasn't too bad. I figured that it would have be be sold by midnight and watched it until almost the end of the post. I was surprised that it was re-listed when I checked this morning.

Bottom line is that I still await new production of either the Henry side gate or marlin and good availability. The Henry side gate is commanding a premium since it's such a new design so it will most likely be the Marlin, although I would like a magazine with a capacity of more than 4 +1. The Model 70480 might be the one to focus on, but would prefer a barrel less than 26" in length.

I've done a bit of watching various auctions on GB - I think there are bots running up the prices until a bonafide buyer clicks and has willingness to pay. Not sure about it - but sometimes I'm mighty skeptical. It's interesting that it's re-listed right the next day isn't it?

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
With the Market as it is, I'm just holding. Anything I might have bought after the panic, is priced $100 to $200 or more, over what I would normally have paid, or worse, out of stock.
These are firearms I would LIKE to have, but not really NEED.

Side note here is that Ruger has moved the Marlin Production Equipment to the Ruger Factory in North Carolina, but it will be a good while before the lines are up and running. Current word is that the Marlin 1895 and 336 Lever Rifles will be made, but these are still in the planning stages.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked and it sold via Buy it Now for $1250.00. The old buy it price was $1650.00 IIRC.

I guess that 900.00 was a good price, by today's standards.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
174 Posts
i`m waiting on a Ruger made Marlin 336 compact in 30-30 .might be waiting awhile -------------

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i`m waiting on a Ruger made Marlin 336 compact in 30-30 .might be waiting awhile -------------
I posted in another thread that it could be the end of summer at the earliest. They've moved all of the stock and machinery already.

Reactions: fsimpson

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Don't know if this is on your list, but KyGunCo has the Henry side gate (sadly 4+1 as well) for $850 right now.

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, that's a beauty! The ability to unload via the tubular magazine Is but a plus also. What's up with only 4+1? I've got the Marlin 1895 CBA in my head lately with an 18.5" octagon barrel and 9 +1 capacity. I'll sleep on the Henry and they'll be out of stock tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts